Hysteria nominated for (and wins!) greatest bassline

pluginbelfast

Yay for spamming polls! Heh, this win is getting Muse some odd press.

This morning, local classic rock station did a countdown playing bits from each song. Started with "who's Tool?" "can't hear the bass" on My Generation or Metallica, they thought Money should've been #1 (I might agree), spent 2 minutes listening to Rush cuz "it's so badass", & then finally Muse -- had no idea who they were. :rolleyes:

But then they played the intro & the announcer says "Never heard this song but THAT is one killer bass line". :D

Yay for spamming polls! Heh, this win is getting Muse some odd press.

This morning, local classic rock station did a countdown playing bits from each song. Started with "who's Tool?" "can't hear the bass" on My Generation or Metallica, they thought Money should've been #1 (I might agree), spent 2 minutes listening to Rush cuz "it's so badass", & then finally Muse -- had no idea who they were. :rolleyes:

But then they played the intro & the announcer says "Never heard this song but THAT is one killer bass line". :D

……They didn't know Tool or Muse? :wtf: I know it's a classic rock station, but still.

Oh well.

I love all the butthurt youtube comments about this. :chuckle:

"it only sounds good because they had the balls to put it on the album"

...what? :LOL:

The full quote: "holy crap people cannot be saying this is the greatest bassline of all time..... all time? its a glorified guitar lead, it only sounds good because they had the balls to put it on the album, look at any other songs such as squeeze me macaroni or pow (larry graham) or jesus.. even under pressure! understand the instrument before you say some rank 2000's prog band has the best bassline ever"

I think with topics like this is that many people immediately try and think of the most technical or most difficult of things, rather than those that are the most effective.

But, with Muse, technicality and effectiveness tend to come hand-in-hand for the bass-lines.

Hyper Music, Dark Shines, Futurism, Hysteria and New Born are all good examples of this.

I'm probably missing something here not being in any way acquainted with the bass guitar, but isn't Another One Bites the Dust's just... 3 notes?

The main bass-line of the song has 5 notes but it's quality not quantity ;)

I do agree with the article when it says that Muse fans swamp the awards though. I mean, Muse wouldn't win half the awards they do if it wasn't for us lot voting like hell so it is a bit unjust that they always win things and Hysteria is certainly not the best bass-line ever nor even the best Muse bass-line ever but people shouldn't get annoyed that their preferred band didn't win.

The list was fairly bad anyway.

EDIT: Actually, Another One Bites The Dust does only have 3 notes

I'm probably missing something here not being in any way acquainted with the bass guitar, but isn't Another One Bites the Dust's just... 3 notes?

It is but just because something is easy doesn't mean its bad. IMHO, another One Bites The Dust, Sven Nation Army and Under Pressure are all brilliant, in my mind.

I still prefer Les and Wooten, though.

Archived