Recording help

matthijs

Atm I'm using a firewire presonus digital interface, but my computer's not really into it.

Any advice for a nice USB audio interface with which I can record but also listen to what I've recorded / am recording in realtime through headphones (rather than speakers)?

Atm I'm using a firewire presonus digital interface, but my computer's not really into it.

Any advice for a nice USB audio interface with which I can record but also listen to what I've recorded / am recording in realtime through headphones (rather than speakers)?

What is your current interface, computer, and DAW? The problem might be the way you have it set up. Any firewire interface will be quicker than USB.

It could also be your DAW. I know that in Pro Tools you can't listen to the input while you're playing other audio back unless you are recording. The only Pro Tools version you can do this in is HD.

Finally it could be your computer. You might have latency because the processing power of your computer. I have an 2011 8-core Mac Pro and sometimes it times out when it is running at 32 sample buffer. I usually record at 64 or 128 now because those time outs were ruining takes.

Interface: I have James' old Presonus Inspire 1394.

Computer: IntelCore Quapd CPU 2,33Ghz, 4GB RAM (Windows 7, 32bit)

DAW: Steinberg Nuendo

Problem: My speakers are Logitech Z-10 speakers and they do not register as suitable audio device to play music from.

If you have any suggestions for (re-) setting this up (or if you suggest I should change to Cubase) I'd gladly hear it :yesey:

Do your logitech z-10's have a headphone out?

When I used to run a Tascam US-122 I would use my computer speakers as my monitors. I would hook them up to my headphones out. My phones out was a 1/4 jack so I had to get a converter. If you hook your speakers to your phones out on the interface and set your ins/outs in your DAW to the Presonus, then you should be smooth sailing.

If your Z10's don't have a headphone output on the speaker than you will have to get a little more dirty. Let me know if they don't and I will tell you another approach.

The problem is that the USB speakers are not recognised by my DAW, so plugging headphones into them won't work. Also, I would prefer recording using headhpones.

@Cheddatom: The problem is that for some reason my computer won't allow me to listen to audio while recording (not a loaded track to play along to, not what I'm playing).

Is there an easy way of resetting devices in Cubase/Nuendo and seeing if I can get it to work?

sorry, i didn't realise your speakers were USB They have an "auxiliarry input" on them. Use the USB cable for the power, but then plug the output from your audio interface into the aux in of your speakers. Set the input on the speakers to the aux. Set the ASIO in nuendo to your audio interface. Sorted.

Well if they don't have a 1/4 or 1/8th inch output jack then you are screwed. You might have to buy other speakers if you ever want to run speakers through your interface. For headphones all you have to do is plug your headphones into the phone jack on the interface. I looked at the interface online and it looks like your headphone level is controlled through a software designed for the interface. So you need to install that software if it isn't already installed.

• 2 weeks later...

Can i get a taste of a room's own reverb by clapping my hands in it? I have access to a wine cellar for like unlimited time (so i could record and play there etc.) so i wanna check out if there are some interesting verbs there without bringing all my gear there.

edit: i been there, it is actually drier than my room, it sounds like there is absolutely zero reverb there, probably because of the highly textured walls (bricks with huge gaps) and the shape of the thing is like an upside down halfpipe without straight walls, it almost felt weird to talk there

Can i get a taste of a room's own reverb by clapping my hands in it? I have access to a wine cellar for like unlimited time (so i could record and play there etc.) so i wanna check out if there are some interesting verbs there without bringing all my gear there.

edit: i been there, it is actually drier than my room, it sounds like there is absolutely zero reverb there, probably because of the highly textured walls (bricks with huge gaps) and the shape of the thing is like an upside down halfpipe without straight walls, it almost felt weird to talk there

Try bringing a metronome

sounds great to record in. Now you can record dry and play about with reverbs.

In my studio it's impossible to record without a shit load of reverb, so think yourself lucky!

• 1 month later...

Just to give you an update on my problem...

It was complicated but I seem to have a workable solution:

Audio In: Presonus Inspire 1394.

Audio Out: SoundCard -> 3.5 inch jack to USB Speakers (changed this)

Computer: IntelCore Quapd CPU 2,33Ghz, 4GB RAM (Windows 7, 32bit)

DAW: Steinberg Cubase 5 (changed this)

It's a bit of a weird way, but now at least I can bypass the USB problems.

Archived