What technique is Matt using?

NCWP

At 0:46 in this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTL6zpv5ofM&feature=player_embedded#!), Matt is gripping his guitar neck with his right hand, while playing (as it seems) normally with his left hand. He does the same thing at the beginning of 'Fury' from RAH.

Anyone know what this is good for? Or is it just to show off?

I imagine to show off...but maybe it's to mute the strings as well or something? No idea

I imagine to show off...but maybe it's to mute the strings as well or something? No idea

But he is still playing long noted with his left hand, so why would he then want to mute the strings? I thought that perhaps he was using it as a 'capo' or something, but that wouldn't be useful either in that situation.

But he is still playing long noted with his left hand, so why would he then want to mute the strings? I thought that perhaps he was using it as a 'capo' or something, but that wouldn't be useful either in that situation.

To mute all the strings except for the one he's playing and to avoid the sustainer making any of those unwanted strings vibrate? Hence grabbing it behind where he's fretting

Theres no sustainer on that guys... Also, only just noticed how similar this solo is to the fury riff.

Yeah, but he grabs the neck for the same purpose; to mute the other strings.

But I'd still say he did it mostly to show off as it isn't necessary.

Archived