Hyper Music Bass tab question

fragtion

I'd like to make a bass cover of Hyper Music sometime in the near future, but I need to clear up something I'm not entirely certain about in the bassline, that maybe someone with the right musical ability & knowledge here could help me work out

During the chorus, it seems like Chris plays A|-0-2-3-2-1-|. That sounds fine when listening to the album, but I do find that when I cover the song myself and play A|-0-2-3-2-0-| instead (A rather than the A#), it sounds more melodically sound / fits the rest of the song structure expectation. I mean the A# doesn't sound too awkward at all (I didn't even really notice it before), but the A just seems to fit the rest of the song's structure better (I feel the A# can be played sometimes though, like it fits well on the last loop just before the verse starts again... it just seems a bit off to play it every time, as though the A should be default)

Anyone else come across this one? Does it maybe have something to do with the G/Gm chords (each having A and A# notes respectively)? Quite puzzling if I do say so myself...

"Chris plays it this way, and it always sounds good when he plays it, so it must be right"..."But it doesn't sound as good this way when I play it"... "Don't argue with the original source, you can't know any better if you learnt the song from it"... You know...

Some insight would be appreciated ! :)

Ok well if anyone else is trying to crack the tab as well as possible by ear, like I am, then here's a mostly bass-isolated track I made, which I'm using to help me, and which might help you too

It's basically just the mid channel (low pass EQ @ ~385Hz) and left channel isolated from the rest. It has some drums and other sound leaks of course - nothing I could do about that, but you can hear the bass far more distinctly this way

It seems like Chris has his clean/soft tone in the centre channel as normal, and then puts his 'overdriven'/animato track in the LEFT channel (about 60-70% panned). No bass in the right channel as that's where some of matt's guitar is panned

They're only a semi-tone apart so they are going to sound quite similar anyway, it's just down to your ear and you think sounds right, just playing it now and both of them do work, I guess it's just personal preference

Just watched that and at around 1:23 you see him play that A*

The A# is the sharpened 5th in relation to the D dominant 7th aug 9 chord being played during the chorus riff.

It works because there's nothing for it to clash with and because it's playing off that dominant chord into a D minor (phrygian and aeolian minor modes both have that sharpened 5th in them) for the beginning of the verse. Having said that, the bass in the verse uses D dorian because it's in C major.

Hope that makes some kind of sense to you. :LOL:

The A# is the the sharpened 5th in relation to the D dominant 7th aug 9 chord being played during the chorus riff.

It works because there's nothing for it to clash with and because it's playing off that dominant chord into a D minor (phrygian and aeolian minor modes both have that sharpened 5th in them) for the beginning of the verse. Having said that, the bass in the verse uses D dorian because it's in C major.

Hope that makes some kind of sense to you. :LOL:

This.

Archived