GAS Thread: it's just too expensive to drive this.

cheddatom

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been curious about those, but I felt that the looper alone actually made my peddle bored more complicated than it needed to be :$ It's relatively simple at the moment.

Their power supply is great though. Still using that, and it cut down on the noise by a massive amount

I've been curious about those, but I felt that the looper alone actually made my peddle bored more complicated than it needed to be :$ It's relatively simple at the moment.

Their power supply is great though. Still using that, and it cut down on the noise by a massive amount

Have you got a quartermaster? The new ones with the flip flop thing are pretty cool.

Yeah their power stuff all seems brilliant. Especially when you see how perfectly neat the cables are on boards that they've done. Especially Ed O'Brien's :facemelt:

Have you got a quartermaster? The new ones with the flip flop thing are pretty cool.

Yeah their power stuff all seems brilliant. Especially when you see how perfectly neat the cables are on boards that they've done. Especially Ed O'Brien's :facemelt:

Yeah I do. I removed it for now though, as the lava cables (which I spent way too much on) kept needing to be repaired. Doesn't seem like the greatest design

And yeah definitely. Can power everything except the micro POG off their power supply.

Well, actually, they said I could power the micro POG too, but it has some weird 9.6v requirement, and they recommended the one for higher current (like line 6 pedals). Not sure if that's the same thing though

• 1 month later...

So, if I have a choice between a Marshall JCM2000 50 and a Vox AC30CC2, which would you suggest? I know Matt's played something very similar to both in the past. I'm not buying it for that specific reason, but so happened upon both of these at identical prices. I think I'm leaning a bit more toward the Vox just from hearing demo vids because I play a good bit of blues, but any input would be welcomed.

I'd go with the AC30 as well. The DSL is a great amp - probably one of the better newer Marshalls, but it's really not a great channel switcher because of the shared EQ (one channel has loads more low end than the other).

Depends what you're looking for. Personally I'd get the AC30 and some pedals if you want more distortion.

I'd go with the AC30 as well. The DSL is a great amp - probably one of the better newer Marshalls, but it's really not a great channel switcher because of the shared EQ (one channel has loads more low end than the other).

Depends what you're looking for. Personally I'd get the AC30 and some pedals if you want more distortion.

I have a fuzz and some others capable of the distortion, so the AC30 seems a better choice at the moment. Thanks for the insight. Problem is I have to drive about a half hour to hours way each way to try either out -_-

Take the drive and see what you think.

James is right about the channel issue with the DSL, HOWEVER you can just plug pedals into the clean Channel which is excellent.

for me the vox would be a winner, but you really need to be able to get it cooking. At low volumes they are brittle and unyielding, whereas the DSL just works.

I am biased as I love a DSL, but I'm also a huge Brian may fan and I've played old and the cc reissue boxes so I have insight.

Tl/dr: Vox are awesome but only if you're playing large clubs and have someone to help.move your amp!

If you're a bedroom warrior playing mostly muse then get the dsl.

Take the drive and see what you think.

James is right about the channel issue with the DSL, HOWEVER you can just plug pedals into the clean Channel which is excellent.

for me the vox would be a winner, but you really need to be able to get it cooking. At low volumes they are brittle and unyielding, whereas the DSL just works.

I am biased as I love a DSL, but I'm also a huge Brian may fan and I've played old and the cc reissue boxes so I have insight.

Tl/dr: Vox are awesome but only if you're playing large clubs and have someone to help.move your amp!

If you're a bedroom warrior playing mostly muse then get the dsl.

Would an AC15 be better for bedroom rock star antics & pretending to be MB? I'm thinking about getting one of them, instead of an AC30 so it's not crazy loud. But the Marshall sounds really good too...

Would an AC15 be better for bedroom rock star antics & pretending to be MB? I'm thinking about getting one of them, instead of an AC30 so it's not crazy loud. But the Marshall sounds really good too...

The AC10 would be better. However any DSL would be better than any AC for pretending to be MB.

So, if I have a choice between a Marshall JCM2000 50 and a Vox AC30CC2, which would you suggest? I know Matt's played something very similar to both in the past. I'm not buying it for that specific reason, but so happened upon both of these at identical prices. I think I'm leaning a bit more toward the Vox just from hearing demo vids because I play a good bit of blues, but any input would be welcomed.

Either is fine for Blues, no reason to prefer the Vox for that.

The ac15 and AC10 are still way too loud for bedroom use. In theory, there's only 3dB less clean volume which is a perceptible change in noise level, but nothing like the 10dB you need to halve the volume.

In reality the difference is likely to be less than 3dB depending on the headroom of the tubes, speaker efficiency etc.

As an aside, don't let the name fool you. The AC30 is set up with between 14-18w of dissipation on EACH TUBE. The actual dissipation, which is what manufacturers base their "watts" claims on, is around 50-60w depending on how hard it's working. Its easily a match for a 50w Marshall in pure volume levels.

Edit: also I forgot the CC2 IS A nightmare to retube.

The ac15 and AC10 are still way too loud for bedroom use. In theory, there's only 3dB less clean volume which is a perceptible change in noise level, but nothing like the 10dB you need to halve the volume.

In reality the difference is likely to be less than 3dB depending on the headroom of the tubes, speaker efficiency etc.

As an aside, don't let the name fool you. The AC30 is set up with between 14-18w of dissipation on EACH TUBE. The actual dissipation, which is what manufacturers base their "watts" claims on, is around 50-60w depending on how hard it's working. Its easily a match for a 50w Marshall in pure volume levels.

The AC10 is a bit too quiet for using with a band, if after a clean sound anyway.

Any thoughts on the jcm dsl50 vs 100? I have an option to get the 50 so just curious. 600 USD including a halfway decent 4x12 can seems like a pretty good deal..just retubed too.

Any thoughts on the jcm dsl50 vs 100? I have an option to get the 50 so just curious. 600 USD including a halfway decent 4x12 can seems like a pretty good deal..just retubed too.

For the strengths of the DSL - Overdriven sounds - It makes sense to go for the 50 (I think we worked out the orange DSL Matt used to use were DSL50's I think?). If loud cleans are important to you then go for the 100, but seems a bit silly to go for any Marshall JCM if looking for that.

It is possible to run 100w Marshalls at 50w. Which is pretty much how I've run my JMP for years and no noticeable difference in tone, however given the choice I'd rather have one intended as a 50w amp.

Yeah, Matt's was technically a 100 watt, but it had two of the output tubes removed.

But yeah, the cleans aren't anything special. Crunch mode on the green channel is the best thing about the amp.

Oh and if you get a DSL, make sure it's a later one from after 2004 or so. I can't remember the exact year they updated the amps, but the early ones had an issue with the PCB that would develop over time.

Appreciate the help, all. I'm mostly a bedroom warrior. Not currently in a band or playing shows, so the DSL seems a better choice, but ill give her a go first. Going to wait for the new Cort to come in before giving the amp a go though. Have one on the way next week fitted up with a sustainiac and mbk-2

Appreciate the help, all. I'm mostly a bedroom warrior. Not currently in a band or playing shows, so the DSL seems a better choice, but ill give her a go first. Going to wait for the new Cort to come in before giving the amp a go though. Have one on the way next week fitted up with a sustainiac and mbk-2

Well none of these are great for bedroom use unless you can get away with turning them up. However if you are looking to gig in the future, the DSL is a decent choice, especially as its a head and can often borrow cabs at shows.

Well none of these are great for bedroom use unless you can get away with turning them up. However if you are looking to gig in the future, the DSL is a decent choice, especially as its a head and can often borrow cabs at shows.

Well yeah I understand that. Ill try it at low levels. I live in an old brick apartment building so I can turn up a bit without annoying the neighbors but will be moving into a house in a few years where my fiance won't mind too much (usually) when I crank it up a bit.

Also, which 4x12 is included in the deal? $600 is a fairly good price for the head alone.

If the AC30 is the CC2 model with the standard speakers (not the greenbacks or blues, but the Vox ones - forgot what they're called exactly) then $600 is average it seems.

Also, which 4x12 is included in the deal? $600 is a fairly good price for the head alone.

If the AC30 is the CC2 model with the standard speakers (not the greenbacks or blues, but the Vox ones - forgot what they're called exactly) then $600 is average it seems.

It's a peavey Windsor 4x12. Not exactly a stellar cab but not terrible either. It's at a used shop so ill try the head with another cab too and see the difference. If I'm not thrilled they'll do just the head for 500

Archived