GAS Thread: it's just too expensive to drive this.

cheddatom

Anyone else wonder how he gets that heavy toan from his Strats? IIRC he said something about it being the bridge pickup having an AlNiCo 3 p/u instead of a 5, but could that really do it?

I'm listening to the live album at the moment, and, his guitar just sounds brilliant

I've really come to appreciate how good Steve Vai's tone is so I'm gassing for a JEM at the moment.

What amazes me about Steve Vai isn't his speed (they're much faster players) but how clean he can keeps his playing. Every note just sounds perfect :D

I've only just noticed it but the bottom horn on the JEM's looks really weird, still want one though!

? I've never noticed tbh, ive an RG here and usualy borrow/steal a friends JEM and never noticed, AANJ maybe? I saw a 31 fret RG once, that lower horn was weird...

? I've never noticed tbh, ive an RG here and usualy borrow/steal a friends JEM and never noticed, AANJ maybe? I saw a 31 fret RG once, that lower horn was weird...

Seems to be all RG's as well actually but they just look really thin. I've played RG's before and never really noticed it but since I've been looking online at JEM's it really stuck out at me.

Nice to see a bit of love for Steve Vai in the Kitten Tab. I'm pretty sure I've mentioned before but his Universe shape was the basis for my custom too, so it's nice to a see a couple of others out there that like the shape too. I definitely agree about his technique too. He's got a way of playing that just tends to blow my mind. He's a far better player than I'll ever be anyway. :chuckle:

I'm just glad you're not getting that hand cutout (what was the name for it again?) that his guitars have

Aye, I know the thing you mean. I've never liked them personally either. The JEMs have them but the Universe's don't as far as I'm aware. Apart from the fact that the JEMs are 6-string and the Universe's are 7-string, I think it's basically the same shape apart from that though.

Archived