spraying the darker edge is going to have to wait because its blushed quite a bit so I'm going to have to put up with the smell and bring it inside over the weekend see if it goes.

I had huge issues with blushing when spraying the burst on the last guitar I did. The black lacquer would just randomly develop an oil slick appearance no matter what I did. Tried warming the room, cooling it all sorts. Nightmare.

• 1 month later...

fuck tits.

I was going to flat and polish it this weekend so had a look at it yesterday (its just been hanging there and I haven't paid any attention to it) and noticed a few places are already checking (which is cool because it looks cool), but then looked at the cutaway and where its checking, the nitro is LIFTING off of the binding. shit balls I thought. then it just flaked off. so I filled that bit in - no problem. then I noticed it doing the same on the neck binding,

fuck sticks.

so today its all coming off and starting again.

cunt thwacker

no I don't!

and yes, otherwise there'd be a ridge between the wood and the binding.

but at least this gives me a chance to redo the top and get it closer to how I imagined it. I think I'm going to try some double or triple staining this time before spraying a burst on top of that. I don't like staining flame or quilt as it takes away from the 3d-ness of it I think, but it wont make any difference with the burl

I don't have a huge amount of experience, but to be honest Nitro is a pita. Even if you have a proper spray booth (who does), it still does whatever it wants it seems. I know it's sacrilege, but I really have no problem with a well done thin poly coat, especially over a good flame top. At the very least, it doesn't scratch off if you look at it too hard. I think Nigel Tuffnel was on to something.

EDIT: Controversial idea, how about a nice oil finish?

i think the problem was it went on a bit thick where it was peeling off for whatever reason. i'll just have to be more careful and keep it nice and thin and it'll be fine.

and I discovered that the direction that you spray is the direction it checks, so only horizontal spraying from now on.

on the two jnrs I sprayed it vertically because it seemed to make sense (less waste etc) and all the checking is vertical (at least on the one I've still got, but I seem to remember it doing it on the one james had too) whereas this one was sprayed horizontally and the checking was starting horizontal too

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well its been shitting ages.

the gold was great, until I got the second days worth of clear on it, and the gold on the top went MENTAL. so I had to get that off and spray it again. and the same thing happened. but the third time around it was finally ok, so I just finished spraying that last week.

which meant I could finally get around to polishing up the burl one. I was going to do the frets as well, but realised I've run out of sandpaper, apart from 3000, which wouldn't really help.

when I have done the frets i'll get some better pics, with some light on it, but for now theres this

IMG_20170301_134039_zpsgtdgp6r7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...