• 2 weeks later...

I was just going to refinish it, but when I took the finish off I remembered how terrible a finish Fiji mahogany gives, and there was a rather large, not split, but one part of wood lifting off (it would make sense if you saw it) so I decided to take a fair chunk of mahogany off the back, stick a bit of sycamore on and carve it like the front. its then all going to be finished in gold. so less of a goldtop, more of a goldeverythingapartfromheadstockfrontandbackandfretboard

I wouldn't expect much difference at all to be honest, it's not chambered so there'll be a moderate damping effect but I doubt there'll be a significant difference. My opinion of course.

I'd be interested to know why you don't rate Fiji for a good finish. It's typically pretty light, but it's (usually) the same species as Honduras mahogany, and that takes a finish pretty well! Of course I know that 'Mahogany' could mean any wood that looks a bit like mahogany these days, i'm assuming it's Swietenia macrophylla?

Also, you should probably rephrase that as English Sycamore, which is a true Maple (Acer), not the American Sycamore, which is a Platanus which we call Plane or Lacewood. Just to avoid confusion :facepalm:

i'll say sycamore and americans can learn something for a change instead of us saying their words to placate them :p

I cant remember but I THINK theres a bit of chambering done on it. its very light so I'm guessing I did do that.

when I say it doesn't finish very well, what I meant was theres a LOT of feathering which never really sands down - that's the main problem with it. I got it from john boddy's years ago and always got their south american after that. it sounds great and its light and everything its just a prick with the feathering and big splinters lifting off it and stuff

and james, it'll probably make it a bit lighter sounding, but it wont be THAT different

• 2 weeks later...