Hardest Muse song on bass?

alyssa_

I don't agree, some of the riffs Chris plays are really hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GU3fkC8sVRo

2:04

I shouldn't really have expressed an opinion. It's been years since I listened to Showbiz. It used to be one of my favorite albums until I started listening to the snare sound. It's fucking awful, but i've whinged about this before.

I love the bass playing on showbiz though, and the tone too. It's so much more raw compared to later stuff - kind of like evil empire compared to battle of LA (bass tone wise).

The bass sounds lovely on most of those songs, and the live sound is just really chunky (I fricking love Cave for that sound).

I can hear what you mean with the snare sound though, not sure I want to think about it too much :chuckle:

yeh, why can't they re-do it with a trigger or something? Someone must have the original tapes.

• 1 year later...

Would call it piss easy, but I would say the trickiness comes from the timing and playing it fluently. I can't play it fluently atm because of my cast but otherwise it's doable. Then again, I've been playing for about 7-8 years and muse songs for me are only difficult because of the speed in them in the right hand, not the left hand.

roll that treble up!

I was playing bass again last night with my instrumental band. We now have a DJ on board and he is fucking good. I'm still using my same main sounds but now using a RAT on one of the dirty chains for a musey kind of filth. Also, Qtron in to Wah probe with Octave makes for some ace synth sounds.

• 1 month later...
I think Liquid State has upped the bar a bit... I think it's fairly tricky!

Don't forget Liquid State is played high on the fretboard. So the main riff would then be

A: 14h15-0-0-0-0-0-0-14h15-0-0-0-0-0-0-14h15-0-0-15h18-0-0-18p17p15-18p17p15-14h15

or something like that. I'm tabbing this by ear without a bass haha. But yeah playing it up there makes it way easier than down the neck as the stretch is way easier. You need massive hands to make it easy down the neck.

And he's using octave->fuzz mixed with clean to make it sound awesome. :D

I.wouldn't say there are any difficult Muse songs bass. Its all down to opinion and skill. Some Muse songs will obviously be difficult for some people but not so difficult for others if you know what i mean. But on that note, Hysteria is quite.difficult for me. I can only play the main riff on bass. Panic Station is quite awkward for me aswell. :)

eheh the badass one for me was Knights of Cydonia, not for the execution but to remember all passages of the first part. Dunno why it was really hard to keep in mind the notes sequence.

lol it's piss easy

I think Liquid State is up there, not because of technical difficulty really, but keeping up that riff and while singing must be pretty hard... Live you can see him break a sweat not too far into the first verse.

But I think Dark Shines wins this thread.

Archived