• 2 weeks later...

http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/international/32812/Muse-release-trailer-for-new-album-go-dubstep

Torch-bearing ( literally) Brit stadium rockers Muse have confirmed that their sixth studio album will be entitled The 2nd Law, and will be released this coming September. Little was known prior to this announcement about the band’s follow up to 2009’s divisive rock opera The Resistance; although bassist Chris Wolsternholme had told fans to expect “something radically different” in an interview around December last year.

Judging from the trailer that the band have released accompanying the announcement of The 2nd Law, Chris was not making an understatement. After a grandiose build-up of strings soundtracks various riot and fake news broadcast footage, a vocodered voice booms out before “the drop” happens. Oh yeah, it’s probably worth mentioning that there’s a huge dubstep break about 1:30 in – hey, it worked for Korn, right?

All else that is known about The 2nd Law is that it will feature strings and orchestral arrangements from David Campbell – no, not Jimmy Barnes’ crooner son; the composer and former Radiohead collaborator who assisted in creating the music for the doomed Spider-Man musical, Turn Off the Dark.

Watch the trailer for The 2nd Law – if you dare – below.

NME and/or tits. :phu:

Sorry Dore, I edited your thread at first instead of quoting! My bad! :LOL: First time I've actually done that. :$

But srsly. I've been using this thread for any kind of small Musey titbit or tidbit, whether or not it's from NME. I tried to clarify in the first post.

I agree the video was stupid. Let's just move on. :p

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NME - Muse unveils new single for Olympics

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/64580

Muse debuted their bombastic new single 'Survival' earlier this evening on BBC Radio 1 - the track has now made it online. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click to hear it.

Early fan reactions on YouTube see many pointing out the track's similarities to Queen, while 'randomguy123ish' states: "It's just one of those songs that makes you feel you can take on the world, oh Muse you've done it again!"

The band revealed earlier today (June 27) that the track has been chosen as the official song of the London 2012 Olympics and will be played when athletes enter the stadium, in the lead up to the medal ceremony and also as the theme for all international TV coverage.

The track, which the band have said is inspired by "total conviction and pure determination to win", is the band's first new material for over three years.

Writing about 'Survival', the band said: "We are very excited to announce that a Muse song, 'Survival', has been selected by the London Olympic committee to be the main official song for the London 2012 Olympic Games. Matt wrote the song with the Olympics in mind. It's about total conviction and pure determination to win."

They continued: "The song will be played throughout the Games including when athletes enter the stadium, in the lead up to the medal ceremony and also as the theme for all international TV coverage. We are honoured that the Olympics have chosen our song to officially represent the London 2012 Olympic Games across the globe."

Muse will release their new album 'The 2nd Law' in September. The album is the follow-up to 2009's 'The Resistance' and has been recorded in London. Little has been revealed about the album so far, but bassist Chris Wolstenholme previously said that the band wanted to do "something radically different" on their new LP.

The Devon trio will play five shows across the UK in October. The gigs begin at Glasgow's SECC on October 24, before the band move onto London's O2 Arena for two shows on October 26 and 27. They then play Birmingham LG Arena on October 30 before finishing up at Manchester Arena on November 1.

NME review: http://www.nme.com/reviews/muse/13355

It’s frustrating that an event as epochal (to those of us that care) as the release of a new Muse track has been assimilated into something as annoying (to those of us who live in London and have no tickets, so we’re basically paying money not to be able to get onto a tube for six weeks) as the Olympics. Like New Order’s ‘World In Motion’, ‘Survival’ might be amongst the most ear-scorchingly, arse-burstingly, aneurysm-inducingly brilliant songs in Muse’s canon, but it’ll forever be deemed corny by its association with one long-past sporting event and Matt’s opening lines about how “I’ll never lose” are instantly ridiculous thanks to the blatant fact that we’re extremely capable of – indeed, well-practiced in - losing at major sports contests and will, in fact, lose in virtually every event, even wiff-waff.

Plus, let’s face it, if Muse staged the Olympics every night on their next stadium tour it’d seem like a step down in terms of spectacle and showmanship, so – with apologies to those who, unlike this writer, could give a flying Coe’s arse about the Olympics - Muse writing the official Olympic song feels a bit like Wagner writing a six-hour operatic cycle about his local car boot sale.

It sounds like one too. As Zane Lowe flicked the switch at 7.30pm, at first it appeared Muse had gone spoken-word squelchtronica and dedicated the track to Zane himself. That turned out to just be a jingle, but we wouldn’t have been all that surprised. But as soon as ‘The Prelude’ kicked in we landed slap bang back in Muse world, a cinematic swell of piano, strings and choir that – as is traditional on Muse albums – picks up where the final track of ‘The Resistance’ left off, deep in full-on symphonic country.

With a hint of 30s Busby Berkeley grace, this stunning orchestral refrain left us convinced for thirty seconds that the dubstep thing was all a publicity stunt and that Muse, having reached the point on ‘Exogenesis’ where they were now basically classical composers, had decided that was the ultimate end-point to their musical journey, given up innovating and evolving, sat down and simply demanded ‘more viola!’.

Then ‘Survival’ turns into a Cossack barbershop Blur. Finger-clicks. Jaunty pianos. Male choirs hoofing around on their haunches. And Matt delivering the central Olympic-themed conceit: “Life’s race/I’m gonna win/I’ll light the fuse/And I’ll never lose”. Pretty crude, to-the-point stuff for the man who’s usually to be found exposing global power-cult conspiracies in song but - putting aside the inadvisable references to lit fuses, considering - the self-belief here soon goes beyond trying to gee up our synchronised snot-flicking team to a bronze.

“I choose to survive/Whatever it takes,” Matt seethes before sounding like he’s entering every event at once: “You won’t pull away/I’ll keep up the pace/I’ll reveal my strength to the whole human race”. As he reaches a histrionic crescendo about vengeance, emoting like a comic book villain being bombarded with red hot Queen riffs as his evil lair crumbles, it’s clear this is a song more about defiance than competition, a message not to or about the athletes but rousing the listener not to give up the minute life hits you like a javelin through the neck but excel whichever way you can.

‘Survival’ gradually emerges as another of Muse’s chorus-less, build-to-a-cataclysmic-climax mood pieces in the vein of previous album openers ‘Apocalypse Please’ and ‘Take A Bow’ – a show of muscle and grandeur that doesn’t necessarily sign-post the direction of the album as a whole (indeed, Matt claimed the rest of the album was much more varied in his Zane Lowe interview). But as it reaches a pounding peak that sounds like Kronos out of Wrath Of The Titans has taken up the guitar - all stomping vocoder bass, Egyptian-tinged finger-tapping solos harking back to ‘Muscle Museum’ and gangs of operatic Cossacks chanting what sounds like “Fight! Fight! Win! Win!” – Matt’s theatrical warble seems a little forced, stagey and affected, his final ululating falsetto scream an attempt to somehow get even more epic when they were quite epic enough as it was, thanks very much.

It’ll certainly make the rest of the world’s athletes believe that Britain is populated solely by immortal classical Gods who can probably throw a shot put as far as Istanbul, but come the album we’d appreciate a little more dubstep.

Mark Beaumont

From 29 June:

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/64611?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=fanpage-nmenews-muse

Muse frontman Matt Bellamy has spoken about the making of the band's new single 'Survival' and revealed it was originally intended to be a collaboration.

The band debuted 'Survival' on Wednesday (June 27) and you can hear it now by scrolling down to the bottom of the page and clicking.

The track has been chosen as the official song of the London 2012 Olympics and will be played when athletes enter the stadium, in the lead up to the medal ceremony and also as the theme for all international TV coverage.

Speaking about 'Survival', which is the first track to be taken from the band's new album 'The 2nd Law', he told BBC Radio 1that he had been approached about a year ago to do the track and it was originally going to be a duet with a top pianist. He said:

I got approached about a year ago to write this song for the Olympics and we were going to work on it with someone, I can't say who, a good pianist though. So I wrote this song with that in mind, that's why it's got a lot of guitar and piano at the same time, which normally I don't do. That went away for some reason though.

He then added that even after the possibility of the collaboration disappeared, he continued to work on the track and eventually played it to the organisers of the Olympics.

He added: "It sounded like it was going to be a good song anyway, at that time it didn't have lyrics, it was just a big musical idea, involving a choir and stuff. So as time went on and we got asked to play the opening ceremony, we thought 'We've got to play this'. We got the Olympic people in to listen and they loved it."

When asked what the track was about, Bellamy said: "It's trying to get into that mindset of being completely determined to win, doing it against all the odds, the conviction and the truth of just wanting to win. I wanted to tune into the competitiveness of it all."

Muse will release 'The 2nd Law' in September. The album is the follow-up to 2009's 'The Resistance' and has been recorded in London.

The Devon trio will play five shows across the UK in October. The gigs begin at Glasgow's SECC on October 24, before the band move onto London's O2 Arena for two shows on October 26 and 27. They then play Birmingham LG Arena on October 30 before finishing up at Manchester Arena on November 1.

Why is it that the only people that seem to comment on NME articles are people that hate Muse? I swear Muse gets almost as much hate from music snobs as Nickelback does. Some people take Muse (and themselves) wayyy too seriously. I mean, this was a comment I read today: "Contender for worst album of all time?"

Really? You don't have to like Muse, but worst album of all time? After hearing only one song, and a snippet from another? Give me a break.