Miley's new stuff's pretty good pop music imo. Really though, it's not really about a band being 'good enough' for the station, it's just down to what they think will be popular with a young mainstream audience. Robbie and Noel Gallagher are knocking on in years now, so Radio 1 will consider them less relevant to their audience than someone like the Rizzle Kicks.

Well you are target audience age so it sounds like they're getting it right. I like a lot of the stuff they play even though I'm older than target but I hate Miley Cyrus, she sings and speaks like she's got a bag of marbles in her mouth, imo :LOL:

A lot of people listen to Pandora, or other streaming services, so radio play is becoming less of the main measurement of success or failure. It seems like the BBC Radio executives are trying to stir up debate/controversy by saying they're dropping major bands of the playlist, which isn't really surprising seeing as that rock/alternative music has been getting less and less play on pop stations for years. Idle threats, imo.

Maybe I'll get shit for saying this but not getting played on Radio 1 is an improvement in my eyes. Better to make music for music fans rather than trying to please people that only care about what the new chart songs are. I feel that from Black Holes onwards if not before you can tell they're writing some songs with the aim of making them radio/festival hits and their best songs don't really come from this (in my opinion, obviously).

Amen to making music for music fans---or better yet, music that the artist cares about/making it because they want to/like it, not just to try and get it on the radio. :)

Little line on the front of the next Q Magazine:

"White Lies: On beards, booze and baking cakes for Muse"

Da fuck? :chuckle:

This is a line from their drummer Charles Cave:

"Around 2004 I paid my pocket money to go see Muse at Wembley", says Cave. "This Saturday I'm baking a cake to bring round to the drummer's barbecue". Cave has befriended Muse's Dom Howard "based purely on the London barbecue scene." He continues, "I'll do a classic Nigel Slater pistachio, rose water and orange peel. I like to bake!"

:chuckle:

Also in the Q magazine, Richard Branson was asked in Cash for Questions about Muse wanting to blag a free trip on Virgin Galactic. He said:

"Well, first of all we have a policy that however famous people are, they won't get upgrades or freebies with space travel. Secondly, I think Muse can afford to pay their way. We'd love them to go into space and play. There are a number of bands who have approached us who are quite keen to do something similar. One of them is flying to Necker (his private island) in a couple of week's time to have a discussion with me. So watch this space. Literally. It's not necessarily a he... it could be a she."

Edited by forevermusic

• 3 weeks later...

This is part of the same interview with Matt that Fabri linked above (originally for Billboard) but with an interesting new angle:

At the end of their record contract, what will Muse do next?

This week it was revealed that Muse have 'no concrete plans' following the end of their contract with Warner Bros. Records. So what next for Britain's last great eccentrics?

Warner bought Muse's six album deal from original label Taste Media/Mushroom in 2005 - meaning that 2012's The 2nd Law was be their last contracted record with them. Speaking to Billboard this week, frontman Matt Bellamy said that the band were 'at a crossroads' and planned to take time off to think about where to go from here.

http://www.gigwise.com/blogs/85189/at-the-end-of-their-record-contract-what-will-muse-do-next

This is new information to me. I knew of the 6-album contract, but thought it started with Absolution. This says older albums were included. So could it be true that they'll be self-publishing through Helium-3 or is it just silly speculation? Does it even matter? :LOL:

Any links to the actual Billboard article?

And I feel like this is the second thing I've read on Gigwise saying Muse was "at a crossroads" recently...

You're probably thinking of the 'Radio 1 slams Muse' thing

edit: unless that wasn't a serious comment

Yeah, that was the one I was referring to.

Maybe that particular phrase is more common than thought it was, but it was still a bit odd. :LOL:

The progression so far seems to have been:

- going to record next year

- going to take a break and record next year, but haven't started writing

- going to take a break, record next year maybe - if everyone is up for it

- going to take a break, and uncertain about future

I always wonder though how much is omitted in some of those articles in the interest of stirring up attention.

• 2 weeks later...

I reckon someone else will get married next year as Muse will be concentrating on writing rather than touring so it will be easier to set a date.:)

2014 People's Choice Awards Nominations Announced!

Nominees and winners are determined by the fans.

Favorite Alternative Band:

Fall Out Boy

Imagine Dragons

Mumford & Sons

Muse

Paramore

Muse were nominated for a People's Choice Award for Favorite Rock Band in 2010 but lost to Paramore. That band also won in 2011 while Maroon 5 has won that category the past two years. Favorite Alternative Band is a new category this year. The competition will be tough.

Nominations received by Muse in 2013 and results:

GRAMMY Awards - Lost in two categories (Rock Song and Rock Album) to the Black Keys. Muse did win the GRAMMY for Best Rock Album in 2011

BRIT Awards - Lost to Mumford & Sons and Coldplay in two categories for which they received nominations

Q Awards - Lost to Foals (Best British Live Act)

American Music Awards: Not among the three nominees (Mumford & Sons, Imagine Dragons and Lumineers) this year but Muse did win the AMA for Favorite Alternative Artist in 2010 - Winners announced in late November

MTV EMA's: Not nominated in any categories; Green Day and 30 Seconds to Mars were chosen winners this year in the rock and alternative categories

2014 People's Choice Awards: Pending - Winners announced in January 2014

2014 GRAMMY Awards: Nominees will be announced in early December and winners announced in late January 2014 - The record label reportedly submitted "Panic Station" and "Follow Me" for voters' consideration in several categories

Edited by muse s'amuse

Gigwise:

Muse not planning any UK festivals before new album

With the next album planned for 2015, band say there are no plans for 2014 UK slots

Muse have seemingly quashed hopes of a huge return to the UK festival scene in 2014, with bassist Chris Wolstenholme claiming the band currently have no plans to perform at a UK event next summer.

Hopes were high that the band might mark their 20 year anniversary with a huge festival slot, with the likes of Glastonbury, Reading + Leeds and the returning Sonisphere still unannounced. However, despite recently confirming a slot at Lollapalooza Brazil, Wolstenholme tells Gigwise that it is unlikely they will return for UK festival in 2014.

When asked directly about festival plans, Wolstenholme told us: "I don't think we will do any UK festivals until the next album is out."

Matt Bellamy has recently suggested that there will be no new Muse album before 2015.

Discussing the band's next release, Wolstenholme also adds that while their current plan is to return to a more rock sound, they will not know the shape the album is going to take until they get into the studio.

"I think it's always hard to say until you actually get in the studio because songs often end up in a very different place to where they started, but I think the initial idea is to keep things a bit rawer and more rock initially," he adds. "We will see where it takes us."

Muse release the DVD and accompanying soundtrack of their epic summer show in Italy, Muse Live At The Rome Olympic Stadium on Monday, 2 December 2013. Click here to read our full review of the film.

Read more at http://www.gigwise.com/news/86565/muse-not-planning-any-uk-festivals-before-new-album#dAqBz3brIEluub5J.99