Tom Kirk has nothing to do with this. Kev, can we provide the quote from management with regards to this decision?

For the sake of transparency, I feel that'd be for the best. We're talking about what was - the last time I checked anyway - The leading entry by a fair margin with ~48 hours to go, because in all honesty, it does seem like Management are moving the goalposts because they don't like the way the result's panning out, which in my mind, is tantamount to fixing the competition.

I've no issue with the staff, but I think from management's end, this is poor

Management didn't move the goalposts, they were just slow in announcing what was within them and what wasn't. (Which was unfortunate, given the number of votes his had) Other high up ones were removed too.

The competition is far from over, now people can only vote. There was nothing to stop him entering again.

Of course they did. They deleted duplicates, which of course is fine. so they had the chance to amend any other submissions. I wouldn't have minded if mine was deleted when it was at 20 votes. But it was at 270 whatever before they decided "Nah. We'll let someone else win, even though everyone has clearly voted for this submission."

Management didn't move the goalposts, they were just slow in announcing what was within them and what wasn't.

The competition is far from over, now people can only vote. There was nothing to stop him entering again.

If they didn't announce rules at the beginning, then suddenly came up with them at the 11th hour, it is moving them. It's akin to them saying 2 days before "oh... you can only enter this if you're from a specific area", or "if you have one leg". Whatever's in the rules at the start should be the rules all the way through, if the rules are lax, well, that's a shame, but you can't go "clarifying" halfway through if the "clarification" sweeps away several highly placed entries which just so happen to be somewhat critical of the band -Clunge's "opaque cube where no guiding light can penetrate" one, for example.- what you do is you learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again

The fact remains that it's not anyone's fault that management were sloppy with how they organised & regulated the competition but their own - they left the rules open to interpretation and people took them in a manner that they didn't expect. Unfortunate? Yes, Unfair? Maybe a little bit, but it's a loophole, I'm sure that there's more than a few loopholes that management'll use for their own gain, so really, the solution is for management -and I must stress that my problem is with management, not the staff - to "suck it up, and make sure this doesn't next time [they] do a competiton"

No, duplicates was an obvious possibility from the start, so we were asked to delete them from the beginning.

They didn't leave instructions regarding entries that weren't venues or locations, because they didn't expect people to enter with an answer that wasn't one because they assumed people would understand what "Fantasy Muse Venue" entailed - and they certainly weren't expecting set list whinging to appear. More fool them.

They were told about it and ruled it invalid (later than they ideally should have, granted). The number of votes you received is irrelevant, your entry was invalid everyone else's invalid entries were deleted too... or this just about you?

The competition hasn't finished yet either, only the chance to enter. Yet you didn't enter again, did you not think you'd fare as well with a genuine suggestion instead of an in-joke?

Edit: This isn't at you, Ross.

When this competition was announced, I submitted something mentioning the toilet (as in muscle museum). Of course, everyone's got voted down and then soon got deleted, because I could enter again. I was talking to some musers on IRC and as a joke, I said I should have done something about the setlists to see if people vote that up instead of down. So when I found out I could submit another, I did that. Then the website went down. Then all people could do is upvote. And mine was the one being voted for.

I'm a huge muse fan and I put a lot of money and effort into making piano / drum videos online and going to see them live many, many times. So if you think I'm just a shit troll who doesn't care if I win, you're totally wrong. If I win, these tickets will either go to my brother and someone who can't afford to go, or take me and a friend to Leeds.

Some people understand the tongue-in-cheek manner of it. The rest think I'm a twat. I'm quite happy with both.

Thanks.

Woah, chill out :stunned:. I in no way made the implication that you're 'a shit troll who doesn't care if [you] win', I was mostly commenting on the way Musers have voted a lot of the 'setlist moaning' posts as their favourites because they haven't gotten over their setlist disappointment. I know you're a fan (I'm on Muselive too), so it's not a reflection on that - as I said, I just expected people to take this more light-heartedly by posting wacky, crazy ideas, but Musers typically went and turned this into a setlist rant in the way they've voted.

If they didn't announce rules at the beginning, then suddenly came up with them at the 11th hour, it is moving them. It's akin to them saying 2 days before "oh... you can only enter this if you're from a specific area", or "if you have one leg". Whatever's in the rules at the start should be the rules all the way through, if the rules are lax, well, that's a shame, but you can't go "clarifying" halfway through if the "clarification" sweeps away several highly placed entries which just so happen to be somewhat critical of the band -Clunge's "opaque cube where no guiding light can penetrate" one, for example.- what you do is you learn from it and make sure it doesn't happen again

The fact remains that it's not anyone's fault that management were sloppy with how they organised & regulated the competition but their own - they left the rules open to interpretation and people took them in a manner that they didn't expect. Unfortunate? Yes, Unfair? Maybe a little bit, but it's a loophole, I'm sure that there's more than a few loopholes that management'll use for their own gain, so really, the solution is for management -and I must stress that my problem is with management, not the staff - to "suck it up, and make sure this doesn't next time [they] do a competiton"

Muse Management sounds more like the FIA, changing the rules half way through the season and the rules having multiple loopholes that everyone portests about,

Woah, chill out :stunned:. I in no way made the implication that you're 'a shit troll who doesn't care if [you] win', I was mostly commenting on the way Musers have voted a lot of the 'setlist moaning' posts as their favourites because they haven't gotten over their setlist disappointment. I know you're a fan (I'm on Muselive too), so it's not a reflection on that - as I said, I just expected people to take this more light-heartedly by posting wacky, crazy ideas, but Musers typically went and turned this into a setlist rant in the way they've voted.

I voted for the entries that I found funny or creative. It's not my fault most of the entries are shit. :p

So, is this the right thread to ask for votes in, or am I going to get my fucking head bitten off?

Plenty of people have posted links to their submissions and asked for people to vote for them. I don't give a toss if I get my head bitten off for this!

Vote Natalia!

http://board.muse.mu/competition.php?pp=25&search=Royal+Opera+House&minscore&maxscore&sort=randomvoted&order=asc

So nearly there!

I seriously don't think they were leaving loop holes. It seems more like they were naive enough to think people would understand the concept of the competition without exact specifics and were a little too slow to respond to matters of policy that needed addressing, probably because this competition isn't high on their priorities. It's also not the 11th hour year, there were still hours left for entries when they were removed - as well as days for voting.

We can only apologise for how this has turned out, all we can do is get on with it.

Hopefully lessons will be learned and any subsequent competitions will go smoother.

So, is this the right thread to ask for votes in, or am I going to get my fucking head bitten off?

Of course you can ask for votes. :D Just don't go overboard, people will vote if they like your idea.

Plenty of people have posted links to their submissions and asked for people to vote for them. I don't give a toss if I get my head bitten off for this!

Vote Natalia!

http://board.muse.mu/competition.php?pp=25&search=Royal+Opera+House&minscore&maxscore&sort=randomvoted&order=asc

So nearly there!

Sellout :noey: I might even remove the vote I have already given to that entry.:noey:

[spoiler=For Furygirl]I am joking

Vote Natalia!

So nearly there!

Thank you Pip! :kiss:

I don't think I give a toss either, tbh. I am coming to Reading anyway, so trying to win something has been the furthest thing from my mind when I entered, never thought it'd get this far.

Yet you didn't enter again, did you not think you'd fare as well with a genuine suggestion instead of an in-joke?

I was out, laying in the sun with a friend in the middle of a field. You know, that place on the other side of your window. Called the "outside".

Archived