Sad as it is... I'm starting to think this whole thing may have been Matt's call.

Those of you who saw them, aside from CE, the setlist for the last tour was pretty much exactly that, any other songs they played was by force of that voting system, look at the setlist for previous festivals, when was the last time you saw a song like Fury or the Groove? Or, hell, even TSP or Showbiz!?

Their live performances have been below par of late.... this one had potential but then all the best songs were cut. The Resistance was not a great album. Muse on the whole had been going downhill lately and it seems that this may be the pinnacle of that.

I fucking hate this.

:happy: I knew you would all crack eventually.

While I agree with most of what you said, including the fact that IN GENERAL, MUSEhave been going downhill lately (ie: The Resistance sucks compared to OoS/Absolution), at the same time these gigs could not have been the pinnacle of that - more like a recovery if anything, we just didn't get to see it unfortunately. FFFFUUUUUUU =(

I agree...the gig I'm sure was great esp the first half....the fact that none of us can see it is.what's wrong

But their live performance tonight and at Leeds was nowhere near below par. It's quite possibly 2 of the best performances they've ever done.

Yeah it was much better than the most recent ones, agreed, but best EVER!? seriously? Have you watched the Absolution and Hullabaloo DVDs?

I'm sure it was Matt's call. He pretty much makes all the calls in the group. He decides what songs are going to be played at every gig, he decides the stage design, he decides what songs make the broadcast. This is why Matt should just stfu and play his music to allowing everyone who is sensible to get a word in.

My theory is that Matt signed on behalf of Muse a new contract with Warner in '09 or '10. Warner has been creatively fucking Linkin Park for years now. Maybe something was outlined on the contract which gave WMG slightly more creative control over the live side of their business. Any artist will tell you that there is no money in album sales anymore and touring is where the money is at. With WMGs notorious history of sucking any cash that they can from musicians, the pieces seem to fit.

Yeah it was much better than the most recent ones, agreed, but best EVER!? seriously? Have you watched the Absolution and Hullabaloo DVDs?

Yes, thousands of times, obviously it is never going to reach the heights of when these songs were being played night in night out. But when compared to any muse show we've had since around Wembley 07, maybe even before that, i would class this is Muse's best gig since then.

While I agree with most of what you said, including the fact that IN GENERAL, MUSEhave been going downhill lately (ie: The Resistance sucks compared to OoS/Absolution), at the same time these gigs could not have been the pinnacle of that - more like a recovery if anything, we just didn't get to see it unfortunately. FFFFUUUUUUU =(

Yeah, I would say that they've actually been getting better lately (comparing the summer tour to the recent TR tour, I mean). Great-sounding performances, high energy and more of the rarer songs (though still a lack of variety & poor setlist length). And actually following-through on the promise to perform OoS in full was a very pleasant surprise.

I'd say R&L is the pinnacle of their improvement. The whole broadcast issue is simply a separate letdown, and we still aren't 100% sure who is responsible for it. I'm still happy that there seems to be a slight upward-trend lately in their live shows and I hope it bodes well for future tours.

My theory is that Matt signed on behalf of Muse a new contract with Warner in '09 or '10. Warner has been creatively fucking Linkin Park for years now. Maybe something was outlined on the contract which gave WMG slightly more creative control over the live side of their business. Any artist will tell you that there is no money in album sales anymore and touring is where the money is at. With WMGs notorious history of sucking any cash that they can from musicians, the pieces seem to fit.

Wow... that's a scarily likely hypothesis. I've been noticing that about Linkin Park too, that they've gone a bit... odd of late. Makes a disturbing sort of sense.

Yes' date=' thousands of times, obviously it is never going to reach the heights of when these songs were being played night in night out. But when compared to any muse show we've had since around Wembley 07, maybe even before that, i would class this is Muse's best gig since then.[/quote']

Aaah, *tips hat* in which case you would have a fair point.... Though that is what I said :p

If I had known they weren't going to broadcast the show I would have made more of an effort to try to make it out there ... even though it would have meant I'd be eating out of tin cans for the next year. A live feed would have made it all right.

Same. I was trying to reassure myself by thinking that OOS would be broadcast. Bit naive in hindsight, I suppose.

Sad thing is that bands like deftones' performances are still like that.

Yeah! There are loads of bands who have stayed just as good live if not bettered themselves, whether you like them or not, Tool, Radiohead and InMe are perfect examples that you can have a good, fulfilling career in music without...well... loosing it.

There was nothing lacking about the performance peeps. It just wasn't broadcast. Let's not go off on irrelevant tangents. One thing I do agree is really obscure is that the band would have asked BBC not to play the set in full. That seems somehow insecure, yet the band's performances have been anything but insecure, if they could pull of what they did at Leeds that is... It seems they're breaking new ground if anything. There's still something else at play here though surely

Archived