Changes AKA How the new staff team are going to spoil your fun

kev

Exactly. I was about to do the survey, but since I didn't really have anything that I wanted to change, I didn't bother.

I didn't have a problem with the way the board was previously run. No disrespect to the new mods at all, because I am friendly with some of them, but I think some of them are far too heavy handed - the LA thread in particular is ridiculous. Oh, I suppose I'll have to PM them about that though. Ho hum.

Maybe some people get fun out of watching all the beef and backbiting that has happened on those threads but it's obvious from what the mods have reported that the majority don't enjoy it, so I don't blame them for cracking down. I think it's a good thing. Maybe the mods won't need to control the threads too much once people have got the message and possibly, just possibly, this board could become a happier place where people feel happy to post, whatever their feelings.

Discussion, debate and disagreements are interesting to read and to take part in. You may call it beef, I call it normal behaviour for a forum. The way that thread is being moderated everyone will be too scared to say anything for fear of an infraction! I get the impression you want everyone to be positive about everything and to agree with each other. You can't please all the people all of the time, people are bound to have genuine cause to have a moan and others will disagree. There's nothing wrong with that.

Discussion, debate and disagreements are interesting to read and to take part in. You may call it beef, I call it normal behaviour for a forum. The way that thread is being moderated everyone will be too scared to say anything for fear of an infraction! I get the impression you want everyone to be positive about everything and to agree with each other. You can't please all the people all of the time, people are bound to have genuine cause to have a moan and others will disagree. There's nothing wrong with that.

I always knew you liked me <3

I know tonight's moderation wasn't perfect in that thread, but it's only because for every other portion of the tour, we had an alternative discussion thread. We wanted to keep it an LA Rising exclusive thread tonight!

I assure you that tonight was a one-off while we sort it out, so don't worry too much about it happening again at any time in the future. If you have any issues about Gigs and Tours, feel free to PM any of us because we're open to any suggestions.

And of course the survey isn't representative of everyone, and as a result, we're not going to change the entire site based on every single comment in the surveys, rather take the general consensus and see what we can do from there.

I always knew you liked me <3

:p

I know tonight's moderation wasn't perfect in that thread, but it's only because for every other portion of the tour, we had an alternative discussion thread. We wanted to keep it an LA Rising exclusive thread tonight!

I assure you that tonight was a one-off while we sort it out, so don't worry too much about it happening again at any time in the future. If you have any issues about Gigs and Tours, feel free to PM any of us because we're open to any suggestions.

And of course the survey isn't representative of everyone, and as a result, we're not going to change the entire site based on every single comment in the surveys, rather take the general consensus and see what we can do from there.

Phew, that's good to hear. Thanks for replying :)

There is no way they're going to be able to get people to not slag off Muse. I can understand if it's someone that's come to the board with the sole intention of doing so but for fans who make proper use of this place they have the right to say that Muse are crap when they are.

It's one thing defending the opinions of the people who suck off muse for buying a pint of milk but not at the expense of other people's freedom to air their opinions.

I apologise to all the new mods for deliberately picking your arguments apart. You're new and are probably nervous enough as it is about getting people to respect you.

Good luck with your future modding.

I don't expect everyone to be positive but in my opinion it had gone too far the other way with a group of people slagging off muse all the time, bringing up the same issues endlessly, and at times being derogatory to those who thought differently. Even Muse picked up on it and were given the impression that all their fans were slagging them off. I think discussion is good, if it can be done in a respectful and constructive way. That's just my opinion.

PS I don't think negative opinions should be stopped though. It's just nice to see the mods trying to introduce a bit of balance and attempting to stop the endless backbiting which appeared to be supported before.

There is no way they're going to be able to get people to not slag off Muse. I can understand if it's someone that's come to the board with the sole intention of doing so but for fans who make proper use of this place they have the right to say that Muse are crap when they are.

It's one thing defending the opinions of the people who suck off muse for buying a pint of milk but not at the expense of other people's freedom to air their opinions.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions! Even I have my random Muse abuse moment from time to time. Unfortunately, there are some users on this site that seriously need to get off their high horses and ruin it for everyone else. I have no issue with people complaining about Muse, it's when people start taking it a step further and personally attacking people for having an opinion.

People being entitled to their opinions is the problem - other people forget this. People are allowed to rave about Muse, people are allowed to rage about Muse. It's just when the people with the opinions cross swords, and that's what needs to stop. I know it never will, but it's getting worse as time goes by.

Yes. Exactly this. I like you.

I'm glad you've replied to this. Thanks, Sam.

Yeah Roy!

Regarding the whole "PM us if you have any issues", I really dislike that rule. Granted when I was a mod I pulled that card constantly, but I pulled it knowing that it was a trump card because no one would PM me.

There needs to be a public area where people can air their grievances with problems on the board, including the problems with mod decisions. It makes the modding process transparent and it also gives people the chance to agree with points that normally they wouldn't have spoken out about because they might feel that they're alone with their problem. It would also make people more accountable for crappy decisions.

Now this is in reaction to the new team and I understand you guys are new to things and are finding your feet so don't take this as me just criticising for the sake of it. It's something I've been thinking for some time now but what with the changes I felt it's appropriate to bring it up now.

It is always possible for people to make mistakes or errors of judgement in their early days in any role and moderating a board is no different. It's all part of the learning process. People aren't going to be perfect straight away.

But how are they gonna learn if no one tells them?

I find the whole "PM us if you have any issues" line a real cop out. It really rags me when mods use it when there's no need. Like earlier on, a discussion was started on the back of a comment Niall made and when users began picking that point (and others made by mods) apart we were told to PM them. Then to be told to stop talking about it? Why start a discussion and then end it and threaten infractions? Stop moving the goal posts.

It's not about learning. There really isn't anything for the new mods to learn, here. They're just doing what people have DEMANDED since the Resistance came out... that is, making sure that all the Muse areas are completely free of conflict because people around here seem to have gone from being firey rock fans with a wicked sense of humour to a complete bunch of lazily-spaffing pansies who don't seem to be able to handle any form of debate. Sahrry, but you all asked for it. Repeatedly.

It's not about learning. There really isn't anything for the new mods to learn, here. They're just doing what people have DEMANDED since the Resistance came out... that is, making sure that all the Muse areas are completely free of conflict because people around here seem to have gone from being firey rock fans with a wicked sense of humour to a complete bunch of lazily-spaffing pansies who don't seem to be able to handle any form of debate. Sahrry, but you all asked for it. Repeatedly.

I love you.

Why can't you be like Batman?

A completely normal poster during the day, posting awesome stuff like this.

And a silent mod at night, anonymously keeping this place safe.

Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions! Even I have my random Muse abuse moment from time to time. Unfortunately, there are some users on this site that seriously need to get off their high horses and ruin it for everyone else. I have no issue with people complaining about Muse, it's when people start taking it a step further and personally attacking people for having an opinion.

People being entitled to their opinions is the problem - other people forget this. People are allowed to rave about Muse, people are allowed to rage about Muse. It's just when the people with the opinions cross swords, and that's what needs to stop. I know it never will, but it's getting worse as time goes by.

I get that and you guys are preventing people from descending into personal arguments which is a good thing. But from what I've seen (which is minimal) it's been a little to heavy handed. Crossing of swords is essential, it's why I joined the message board. Not for beef, but for open discussions and differences of opinions. If everyone here loved the same things it would be the dullest place on earth. Often arguments are good. But it when they get personal, that's the problem.

Now the point I've seen is that "disagreements lead to insults" so mods stop disagreements before they get to that. But sometimes the arguments aren't personal they're just heated and it seems that mods will close all discussion because they can't be arsed to deal with potential fall out when in fact that's the mod's job. Yes preventative action is good but the primary role is to moderate which is a reactionary role.

Archived