Changes AKA How the new staff team are going to spoil your fun

kev

Well I don't fit either category!

I don't either. I'm a normal fan, and no one in Banter scares me.

I don't think anyone wants to be a part of a forum where everyone agrees about everything. No one is saying that. I think the point that a lot of people are trying to make, or want to make, is that a constructive, logical, and reasonable discussion about controversial topics is healthy and should be encouraged. Unfortunately, in my time here, I have only seen it happen a few times. Normally one side of the conversation turns to accusations of the other side being a "obsessive, sychophant, fangirl/boy" who can't have an original thought for themselves. While the other side of the conversation turns into accusations of the other side being a "narcissistic, malicious, Muse-hater."

For example, I am a huge fan of Muse. Obviously. But I can easily admit that they as individuals, and a band have flaws. I would love to have a passionate, yet respectful, discussion about it - but I would certainly not do it here. All too quickly I would be put into some catagory and labeled something that I am not. I hope one day that attitude will change, and this can be a place where thoughts and ideas about Muse and their music will be encouraged.

Banter has 3 types of fans:

• Old Skool Origin fans
  • Fans in denial
  • And last but not least, fans that have something negative to say.

MM has 2 types of fans:

• Obsessed fan girls who think if they defend the bad, they will get benefits such has backstage passes and laid by Matt and Dom (Because they don't believe in Hudson)

• And normal fans whom are afraid of Banter

I'm the second MM group :chuckle: Though I've graduated to a Banter lurker. One step at a time, I guess :p

Though I like MM because I get to criticize fangirls.

Tbh I'm tired of people saying you can't say anything negative about Muse in MM and that we're all a bunch of obsessives. Look at the Controversial Muse Opinions thread and almost every thread from the Resistance Tour. People here complain about the band all the time. Even the PMT has calmed down a lot over the last couple years. There is a minority who get overly defensive, but that's something you have to deal with on just about every message board.

Idk, I just feel like it's a bit hypocritical to tell off MMers for tarring all Banterers with the same brush when they essentially do the same thing.

Sorry for the rant.

Welcome to Banter! :awesome:

Tbh I'm tired of people saying you can't say anything negative about Muse in MM and that we're all a bunch of obsessives. Look at the Controversial Muse Opinions thread and almost every thread from the Resistance Tour. People here complain about the band all the time. Even the PMT has calmed down a lot over the last couple years. There is a minority who get overly defensive, but that's something you have to deal with on just about every message board.

Idk, I just feel like it's a bit hypocritical to tell off MMers for tarring all Banterers with the same brush when they essentially do the same thing.

Sorry for the rant.

It's the opposite actually. Biggest problem people seem to have in MM is that people are too negative about Muse there. They come on to the Muse messageboard to show their appreciation and instead they see a barrage of hate. I can definitely see where they're coming from, even if I sympathise with the older fans who are a little disappointed with Muse's current or recent activity.

And it's tricky because we need to make people feel welcome without telling people not to voice their opinions. But people need to stand up for their opinions and recognise what they are, opinions, and opinions about one band at that. It's not human rights we're talking about here.

Suggestion for Gigs and Tours is that the first post about each gig holds the relevant information and is updated as necessary.

There are often really helpful bits of info that appear through the threads but get lost in the general discussions - they could be added as time ticks by in that long long wait for the gig to come around ...

Definitely something we'll consider :).

You weren't joking about the spoiling our fun were you. The LA rising thread is being modded to death imo. Gigs and Tours is going to be the dullest place ever if that carries on. In my view, stopping people getting bullied/disrespected or chatting banter in such threads is what mods should do but related discussion like views on recording the gig on your camera or using the setlist/performance to guess what might happen at future gigs like Leeds/ Reading is perfectly fine, not for the new mods though...:( I'm generally not one of the trouble makers or complainers on this board, so if I'm saying this it must be bad!

You weren't joking about the spoiling our fun were you. The LA rising thread is being modded to death imo. Gigs and Tours is going to be the dullest place ever if that carries on. In my view, stopping people getting bullied/disrespected or chatting banter in such threads is what mods should do but related discussion like views on recording the gig on your camera or using the setlist/performance to guess what might happen at future gigs like Leeds/ Reading is perfectly fine, not for the new mods though...:( I'm generally not one of the trouble makers or complainers on this board, so if I'm saying this it must be bad!

Agreed. Complete overkill.

Maybe some people get fun out of watching all the beef and backbiting that has happened on those threads but it's obvious from what the mods have reported that the majority don't enjoy it, so I don't blame them for cracking down. I think it's a good thing. Maybe the mods won't need to control the threads too much once people have got the message and possibly, just possibly, this board could become a happier place where people feel happy to post, whatever their feelings.

Maybe some people get fun out of watching all the beef and backbiting that has happened on those threads but it's obvious from what the mods have reported that the majority don't enjoy it, so I don't blame them for cracking down. I think it's a good thing. Maybe the mods won't need to control the threads too much once people have got the message and possibly, just possibly, this board could become a happier place where people feel happy to post, whatever their feelings.

What has off-topic discussions that is way overkill to forbid got to do with beef that is ON topic?

+1.

Nail. You hit it on ze head.

What has off-topic discussions that is way overkill to forbid got to do with beef that is ON topic?

What I'm saying is that I think people should allow it to run it's course. There were only a couple of comments about going off topic and these mods are finding their feet with some strong characters on the board. I think people who want it to stay exactly the same with all the negativity and backbiting may well kick up over minor points. And I don't mean shinybee, but to complain already is, I think, an over-reaction.

The majority of people who filled out the survey. A sample of 500 against 300,000 members is hardly representative. Particularly because it was posted in the Muse area of the board and fans who feel disenfranchised are more likely to speak out than those who are happy with the current state of the board.

What I'm saying is that I think people should allow it to run it's course. There were only a couple of comments about photos etc and these mods are finding their feet with some strong characters on the board. I think people who want it to stay exactly the same with all the negativity and backbiting may well kick up over minor points. And I don't mean shinybee, but to complain already is, I think, an over-reaction.

So that things will end up just like last time, where lots of people apparently had lots of opinions on how the board was managed, but never spoke up?

I'm sorry but, I don't see what's bad about taking up problems with the management of the board.

What I'm saying is that I think people should allow it to run it's course. There were only a couple of comments about going off topic and these mods are finding their feet with some strong characters on the board. I think people who want it to stay exactly the same with all the negativity and backbiting may well kick up over minor points. And I don't mean shinybee, but to complain already is, I think, an over-reaction.

They aren't board noobs though who have just joined and want to impress. I think the camera thing was heavy handed.

The majority of people who filled out the survey. A sample of 500 against 300,000 members is hardly representative. Particularly because it was posted in the Muse area of the board and fans who feel disenfranchised are more likely to speak out than those who are happy with the current state of the board.

Exactly. I was about to do the survey, but since I didn't really have anything that I wanted to change, I didn't bother.

Archived