Black Holes And Revelations - 5 Years On!

TheMuseSmurf

Take A Bow

The Perfect opening to an album. Precise build up, good vocal work and good lyrics, one of the best tracks on the album. 9/10

Starlight

Mixed opinions over Starlight but the one thing i can decided on is that it shouldn't have followed Take A Bow, it doesn't flow at all and ruins the build up. 6/10

Supermassive Black Hole

The first Muse song i ever heard and still to this day it's one that i love to pieces. Fantastic vocals, only Matt could get away with. It should have came out after TaB. Almost perfect but the solo lets it down. 9/10

Map Of The Problematique

One of Muse's best songs, quality lyrics, beaten only by Hoodoo on the album. Something new and different but still fresh and interesting, something the band failed to follow through with Resistance. 9/10

Soldier's Poem

Really doesn't do anything to help the album. It ruins the momentum, is only 2 minutes long and just makes the album feel like a 10 track instead. A nice gesture to the "unsung heroes" but i feel it could have been a B-Side. Nice harmonies in the last 30 seconds though. 4/10

Invincible

A bit of a hit and miss. It takes miles too long to get going, and even when it does, it last for about a minute and it's nothing special. If i'm in the mood it's alright. A killer guitar solo and good lyrics. 6/10

Assassin

The album picks up again with this gem. One of the best Muse songs ever written, with exceptional performances from every member of the band. Good lyrical theme and no obvious faults 10/10.

Exo-Politics

Bit of a filler for me. I always seem to forget about it. Whenever i listen to it i enjoy it but i can't help but feel that i was written just to make up numbers. Good riff and solo. 7/10

City Of Delusion

Sheer magnificence from the boys. Musical perfection. The best track on the album and one of the best songs written in the last 25 years for me. Once again it's an example of how Muse can explore different grounds without being boring. Phenomenal. 10/10

Hoodoo

The best lyrics Matt has ever written. Haunting but eerily beautiful. Nice bit of Spanish guitar at the beginning and the ending leaves you wondering "what if..." but he did steal a Tchaikovsky piece. 9/10

Knights Of Cydonia

A solid end to the album, genre shifting, a nice concept, fantastic couple of riffs and wierd but wonderful lyrics 8/10

Black Holes & Revelations

8/10

A good solid album.

Pros: Experimental, Some of the best songs they've wrote, and Matt's lyrics have definitely improved, Nice to hear Chris singing a bit more

Cons: Could of included some more songs, maybe a poor selection of album/b-sides, slightly inconsistent

Take a Bow - pretty much always loved it. Not one of my absolute favourites but it is a cracking opening.

Starlight - the song that got me into Muse, but then as time goes on, you realise they simply have much better songs.

Supermassive Black Hole - when I first heard it, I hated it. Once I heard Starlight, it raised my opinion of it. Now, I love the music, not so much Matt's voice.

Map of the Problematique - one of my favourites since I first heard it and when they opened with it at Marlay Park, I think it went to 12/10 for me. Favourite Muse song.

Soliders Poem - don't get it. Boring.

Invincible - 2/3s boring, final 3rd is brilliant.

Assassin - monstrous, would kill to see it live.

Exo-politics - again, like Starlight, loved it at first, but as time goes on you discover they have much better songs.

City of Delusion - one of Muse's best songs for me. Masterpiece.

Hoodoo - never hit the spot until Wembley 07. What a performance. One of their best songs on piano, for me.

Knights of Cydonia - liked it, saw it at Wembley and now understand that is one of my favourite live songs of all time.

Verdict - 7.5/10 - the album that got me into Muse really. Listen to it less often now, but just began to play in its entirety for the first time in a long time now. I think this album has produce their best songs in: Knights, Map and City of Delusion.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of the songs from their first 3 albums sound like the same....especially bitterly,bliss, new born, stockholm, hysteria ....do you agree or is it just me?

Starting from black holes , they were able to explore with new riffs and sounds....but before then everything sounded the same...no?

My views on the album now:

Take a Bow: First time I heard the song I was very meh on it, now I love it! It's a great opener

Starlight: This song gets a ton of hate but I personally like it. It's catchy and a lot better live

Supermassive Black Hole: I've gone from loving the song, to just skipping over it. I think I overplayed it

Map of the Problematique: My absolute fav Muse song. Definitely the best song on the album and among their greatest work

Soldier's Poem: Always kind of thought of it as an interlude. It's not bad, but not long enough to be great

Invincible: Another song that gets a ton of hate. It is slow to start but once it picks up, it becomes great

Assassin: This albums' SS! Love the drums in it! Wish it was played more live. I prefer the GOB version though

Exo-Politics: It's nothing special, but I still like it. It's one of the first Muse songs I learned to play on guitar

City of Delusion: Such an underrated song! I love everything about it, especially the trumpet

Hoodoo: I love it, especially when it picks up. Also an underrated song

Knights of Cydonia: The first Muse song I ever heard. I love every second of it. It's the reason I started listening to them in the first place

Overall: Never quite sure why this album as a whole gets as much hate as it does? Maybe I'm bias because it was the first one I ever heard. Getting me hooked on Muse in the first place says something about it, so it must have done something right.

I love MOTP, didn't Matt say he was going for a Depeche Mode feel with it? Even if he didn't, it just sounds like a heavy Enjoy The Silence to me, which is why I like it.

I've always been iffy on BH&R on the whole though. It does have some seriously fit drumming though.

Archived