The "Why'd You Start Playing xxx Instument, Bro?" Thread

JimboMansonMB-1

I bought a bass when I was 15 'cos I was into funk and just wanted a go. As soon as people found out I had a bass, I was asked to join bands, so I stuck at it.
This is funny, because it is exactly the same as me :D

Oh, and Hyper Music bass line sounded freaking amazing so that made me want in :D

Listening to Muse for a couple of years made me want to sing. It became a huge passion of mine, and I started teaching myself correct technique. After working on that for a year, I began to realise that I wanted to learn instruments too.

So after fantasizing about playing the keyboard for a while, I finally got one in January this year. I've been progressing nicely with that: I can play several songs in full, and scraps of many others. There was still something missing though, the keyboard wasn't really strong enough for the edgy rock songs I was trying tolearn.

Then I asked my mum to buy me an acoustic guitar for my birthday. That was a little over a week ago. It's like everything suddenly fell into place; I'm still working on the basics, but just struggling along with it fills me with such (sorry) intense bliss. It's the second time (first being singing) I've done something and thought... "Wow, I could do this for a lifetime and not get bored." :awesome:

/life story.

It is so hard to find a worthwhile bassist...

+ drummers. Everyone wants to play drums at primary school, so where the fuck do they go

Also, something that annoys me, 3 people I know just go "I can play bass" because they presume that it's just a retard's guitar and that it's easy, because they can play guitar (when in actual fact they're shocking at guitar). Annoys me.

Also' date=' something that annoys me, 3 people I know just go "I can play bass" because they presume that it's just a retard's guitar and that it's easy, because they can play guitar (when in actual fact they're shocking at guitar). [/quote']

i get comments from those kind of people all the time. Pisses the living daylights out of me, but then I show them some victor wooten and their views magically change

look, if you're playing in some shitty unoriginal indie or "rock" band, bass is just a piss easy version of guitar. Play the guitar parts, just on one string, with a pick, and who cares if you fuck up 'cos no-one's ever going to hear you.

You wouldn't be a "bassist"

Im constantly annoyed by people who assume they play bass. My main instrument is guitar, and I play a bit of bass and drums. But the first time I played bass, when I was asked at the last minute to step in for a reggae band whos bassist was unavailable for a gig, I was surprised just how different it was, particularly in playing style, and despite having played guitar for many many years before hand, it took me a while before I was actually comfortable with it.

I forget who said it but, 'Its easy to play bass, but difficult to play bass well'.

Or something to that effect :rolleyes:

~~december 08 - january 09 ~~ When I was 15 I stumbled upon this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHdN_O5k3WM

Muse were just the final punch.

But I was always creative and interested in music from saxophone to violin to mandolin.

Until age 15 I wasn't even into Rock at all but then I saw "Brohemian Rhapsody" and fell in love. Also, playing music and especially bass is finally something I was good at the other people and it just connected. I wouldn't have dreamt of being able to play through YYZ after only a year playing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived