The "Why'd You Start Playing xxx Instument, Bro?" Thread

JimboMansonMB-1

Another self-explanatory one. Who or what was your inspiration to take up a musical instument?

Guess I'll start: Mine was when this video was showed at school:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lCXB_68VfQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSZv9KKf0g0

The energy of that concert, just made me want to play. That wasn't when I technically started, but it was when I really began to get interested and start practicing, etc.

I started playing guitar simply because I once found an acoustic from my sister's wall. I decided to try playing it and instantly fell in love with playing guitar :awesome:

Then after a while I got my first electric and have been playing guitar everyday since.

Oh, and I play piano too sometimes. That's mostly because of Muse.

Well I first started to play when I was around 10 or 11 on an old Teisco guitar, mostly I think because I couldnt take playing the cello anymore, that thing sucks dude.

At the time I was into ACDC, The Beatles, Guns n Roses etc, and for a while I was happy just playing riffs and chords along to songs. But then, I forget how it happened, but I came across this thing called the blues, and then all of a sudden everything changed. I never realised how expressive an instrument could be. You dont get shit like that on a cello, k?

I started listening to John Lee Hooker, BB King, Buddy Guy, Son House, Jimi Hendrix. Then once I learned the standard blues scale, it was like th guitar just opened up and all of a sudden I could play anything I wanted. And thats when I started to get really into guitar playing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYrVwGxlcFA

Still, infuences from everywhere. I discovered Muse a few years ago, and Bellamy showed me how the guitar isnt just for playing the 12 bar. Then came Morello, who showed me that sometimes it more about sounds than chords or riffs. And most recently came Jack White. Man that guy is great, the energy, the simplicity of what hes playing. At the moment, thats what I wanna do.

tl;dr

Well I started playing when I was 13 after listening to songs like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK7egZaT3hs

I didn't practice too much and didn't take playing that seriously until I really got into Muse, RATM etc. I realised that making music is something I really want to do as a living and started practicing a lot more and taking my playing seriously.

I started playing the sauce-pans when I was 4. they gave better toan than my tomy drum set.

I actually got into guitar because my mate played, and it looked like fun. I was only 7 and my parents were mostly into mowtown etc, which isn't known for it's blistering solos.

August 2009, My Grandad had an acoustic guitar, and he asked me if I wanted to learn how to play it, I said yes, and was looking forward to getting it. About a week later, he came around, gave me the guitar :) As soon as he left, I went onto YouTube, and learnt "Dream On" by Aerosmith from this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4GI2sMzNw

I've played guitar everyday since

I started playing guitar to give me something to do, because I got bored over the holidays. I started playing piano because of New Born and the other fairly easy piano parts in Muse and QOTSA songs, then I started playing drums too, because I saw Dave Grohl with TCV live. I can play bass too, but it's pretty much guitar I guess.

started playing when I got into Oasis at 14 from hearing whatever and Dont look back in anger but didnt get very far teaching myself (before internet was born :p ).

Couple of years later I got into Nirvana via being lent a copy of nevermind by my uncle and that was it!! learnt the power chord then got a guitar teacher :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2ngzF42Hks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoPYWy7YPwk

I'll try and dig out a picture of me when i was 5 jamming on a plastic toy guitar after rocking out in the car to my mum's deep purple cd! I took up guitar when I was 8 - classical. i told my mum i wasnt taking any classical shit from then on so she bought me a shitty strat copy for like £30... I learnt fall out boy covers - I loved them! My teacher is still the same guy. I started properly playing after my sister bought origin of symmetry back in 2003 - I had heard of muse before from around devon, and my aunt had a cassette of showbiz. she gave it to a charity shop in about 2004, and I gave her so much shit... i was angry. yeah so thats my early musical career! :LOL:

Two things inspired me to start drumming - one was watching Dom look like he was having the time of his life, and one was watching covers on YouTube and how people could lay down the same beats. To me it looked fantastic. The covers from ADAM on the boards were the main ones that got me very interesting in playing.

As for guitar, I was really impressed by my cousin, who plays guitar in a local band. I got his old guitar a few months ago and the idea of doing a Dave Grohl and being able to play both guitar and drums interested me. Even if I'm not as good as him, particulary on guitar... :LOL:

Outro riff to Stockholm Syndrome. I remember the exact place on my bus journey to school that I heard it and thought 'man, I gotta learn that'. So I got home, found some tabs, tuned my brothers 3/4 sized guitar to drop D, turned the gain to max, and played it. Learnt all the other drop d Muse riffs too.

Then I bought a proper guitar and amp, and my music tastes expanded. Radiohead and writing my own stuff, but my main thing was a discovery of blues. Not by listening to anyone, it just happened. 90% of the time my Fuzz Factory is on, on a 12 12 12 5 Fuzz Face imitation or 7 7 3 5 with the volume knob controlling overdriven trebley clean tone into full out fuzz.

Then along comes the MIM Tele, leaving my old humbucker guitar for Drop C QOTSA :awesome: , Tele hopefully to be sold soon and replaced with a Classic Vibe Tele and Strat. After that, maybe a hollowbody for QOTSA and that general tone.

/life story

I used to play trumpet for years. Then one day, after being sick in hospital for a week, unable to practice, my teacher said "You're a disgraceful player and should never have taken up the trumpet in the first place." so i left. My conductor rang me numerous times to try get me back on board. I politely told him to get fucked.

Joined an orchestra for 2 years.

Got braces, couldn't play trumpet well. Still wanted to music, so i bought a BROOTALZ WARLOKK and took up lessons. Haven't looked back since. Always feel blessed for having 14 years of classical training, and for anyone who's been there, they'll know that it's not just in music that it helps.

All started from hearing Trivium and Slipknot and Metallica shredding when I was a right little headbanger :LOL: I would listen to it with my mates at school and we all just wanted to play it. Around that time the school got someone to do guitar lessons... me and my mates immediately signed up, got some shitty acoustics and away we went for 2 years 'till the end of Primary School :p Then after we left school we all went our seperate ways really and I stopped playing for about 2 years, then suddenly 2 years later picked up a guitar and got playing again. Got another teacher in who is fantastic, and I haven't looked back since haha

Oh man, all your stories are gonna look so pathetic compared to mine.

I grew up listening to Busted. They were badass, and still are (I quite like Fightstar)

But yeah, Song 2 by Blur (everyone loves that), Busted, In The Shadows by The Rasmus, Fix You by Coldplay and TIRO by Muse made me wanna learn

I was originally gonna learn bass, but then I thought guitar looks cooler

freshman year of high school I wanted to be a drummer, but I didnt have a kit. One day, the summer after freshman year, I was cleaning my closet and found my brothers peavey (check out pics of you gear thread if you want to see it) and started plunking around on it. This song is what really made me practice more and not completely suck. Also, as Neil said, having been in orchestra for 6 years (at that point) helped quite alot

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkplhXJgC5It

Now I play many hours a day and do the odd gig here and there with my band. Im also going to music school for the viola, but bass is my 'informal' instrument and might be another major focus in the future.

used to have no musical abiity at all and no desire to even learn, but then a friend of mine introduced me to both muse and guitar, enjoyed playing and developed an ambition of playing an epic riff live and trashing stuff, the SS outro was the first thing i ever learnt.

Is that why you started playing bass?

I bought a bass when I was 15 'cos I was into funk and just wanted a go. As soon as people found out I had a bass, I was asked to join bands, so I stuck at it.

I can play bass too, but it's pretty much guitar I guess.

ARRRRRGHGGGHHHH

Archived