Muse top NME poll to find best ever Glastonbury performance

dan.

http://www.nme.com/news/muse/57498

'Muse have topped an NME poll to decide the best ever Glastonbury performance, with their 2004 headline set on the Pyramid Stage.

Our online poll invited fans to vote by rating classic moments from the renowned festival out of 10. The 2004 Muse show came out top, following 20,000 online votes in 24 hours.

Muse saw off fierce competition from the likes of Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Blur, David Bowie, Pulp and Stevie Wonder.

Speaking to NME at the time, Muse’s Matt Bellamy said: “I think it's probably one of the best gigs we've ever done. It was definitely the biggest gig of our lives. Yet I didn't have any moments of doubt. I was unusually calm before the gig. It felt good!”

Glastonbury organiser Emily Eavis says: "People were skeptical initially about Muse as headliners. They were a bit: ‘McCartney, Oasis, Muse? Hmmm.’ But it was like: ‘You watch!’ And it really blew people's minds. It was the best performance of that year. Everyone in that audience was like... 'what is THIS?' And so it was like probably the ultimate booking."

It was a triumphant performance but one tinged with tragedy as drummer Dom Howard discovered immediately after the show that his father (who had been on site watching the gig) had died suddenly.'

To be fair, Glastonbury 2004 was pretty spectacular. Not like 2010.

Yeah. I wasn't there but from the telly you could tell it was something. So I'm not going to moan about NME being unoriginal or fans poll-rigging cos this one actually is deserved :LOL:

To be fair, Glastonbury 2004 was pretty spectacular. Not like 2010.

2010 wasn't that bad :LOL: I thought it had a lot of really good moments and some pretty awesome performances.

Of course it still comes nowhere near 2004, and I'm glad that that won (also glad that 2010 didn't come like second so it just seemed as if the only reason they won was because of excessive voting)

2010 wasn't that bad :LOL: I thought it had a lot of really good moments and some pretty awesome performances.

Of course it still comes nowhere near 2004, and I'm glad that that won (also glad that 2010 didn't come like second so it just seemed as if the only reason they won was because of excessive voting)

TIRO was awesome last year :yesey:

Setlist was meh but the performance was good.

Wasn't in the same league as 2004 or anything, but not as bad as people say.

This is one NME poll they deserved to win. :D

TIRO was awesome last year :yesey:

Setlist was meh but the performance was good.

Wasn't in the same league as 2004 or anything, but not as bad as people say.

This is one NME poll they deserved to win. :D

I'm trying to think which songs they performed in both 2004 and 2010...

New Born - I really liked the 2010 one, but the final note he sings in the 2004 version wins it

Plug In Baby - Probably 2010 version

Citizen Erased - Again 2010 version was really good, but 2004 even better

Time Is Running Out - Can't remember 2010 too well, but I know 2004 versions in general sounded beefier

Hysteria - 2004 version is the best performance of Hysteria ever (although an Interlude intro would've been cool)

Stockholm Syndrome - 2004, even have to ask?

New Born - I really liked the 2010 one, but the final note he sings in the 2004 version wins it

Plug In Baby - Probably 2010 version

Citizen Erased - Again 2010 version was really good, but 2004 even better

Time Is Running Out - Can't remember 2010 too well, but I know 2004 versions in general sounded beefier

Hysteria - 2004 version is the best performance of Hysteria ever (although an Interlude intro would've been cool)

Stockholm Syndrome - 2004, even have to ask?

Agree with all of that. Best version of New Born I've seen from the last tour, but 04 beats it. Plug in Baby was great last year. I think I preffer last years Time Is Running Out, but the 04 one wins just for having the shuffle dance.

And the fact Matt actually plays piano in the 2004 for one makes it a fair bit better.

And you missed Citizen Erased :happy:

Radiohead 97 or 03 should've won imo.

But Muse's 04 performance was still amazing and probably one of their best performances to date. It's just get really dull with Muse winning every single poll NME though.

It's really strange seeing that though. Around 10-11 years ago (ok maybe not so much post-OoS) NME was frosty at best towards Muse.

Radiohead 97 or 03 should've won imo.

But Muse's 04 performance was still amazing and probably one of their best performances to date. It's just get really dull with Muse winning every single poll NME though.

'97 was pretty amazing. I don't think I could choose between that and Muse 2004 though.

Archived