The guitar work on the album is excellent.

Shame it wasn't used a bit more frequently and got passed over in favor of synths and strings.

This. The studio version of Uprising is a joke compared to the live version.

Everything past Guiding Shite is great, but IBTY is awkwardly placed and the first half bounces around in style too much. USoE would have been great if the rest of the album was more of a concept album and as bold as it is. Being bookended by a pop song and Guiding Shite makes it sound really, really silly.

Something positive? Well Exogenesis is sublime, but apart from that I'm struggling. MK Ultra shouldn't be as much of a highlight as it is. It should have been the standard.

I once read a concert review of a Muse concert in Denmark and the article said "..even when it's bad, it's still pretty good!" - I think that's an appropriate way to describe TR.

I liked Uprising right away, Resistance is pretty damn good, UD grew on me and I actually like it a lot now, USoE has some really great elements, US and MK is just excellent and Exogenesis proves that Muse master so many different genres (especially Overture sends shivers down my spine!).

Guding Light: Like the way Matt sings "I can't hurt you anymore" and the guitar solo. Oh yeah, and that it's so openly cheesy :)

IBTY: I like the sound of Matt popping his mouth with his finger.. and then it's just kind of a funny, karaoke like song.

Absolution is my favourite album, with The Resistance as a second (tt changes often). TR holds a lot of spirit, from the lust of Undisclosed Desires to the magic of I Belong To You, to the mystery and beauty of Cross-Pollination. It's one of those "perfect" albums I could almost say.

Uprising is hardcore and a great unique modern-style piece.

Resistance is both epic with an interesting transition to rock which I find both a Muse experiment and the style appeals to me.

Undisclosed Desires is yet another very unique and creative song with the pizzicato. The first time I heard it I thought "WHOA that is so weird, I don't know if I like it... Wait, that is soooo awesome." The second/third choruses fulfill the song especially.

United States Of Eurasia is just brilliant. It sounds inspiring, epic, big, bold, yet tender and innocent. Collateral Damage is beautiful beyond tears with the kids playing and airplanes in the background.

Guiding Light is bold and right in your face; it isn't afraid. It gets the job done well.

Unnatural Selection is loaded with great motives and catchy yet serious phrases. The second half is interestingly peaceful yet relaxingly intense.

Mk Ultra is really convincing in its sound. It sounds like what the lyrics are about and makes you feel like you're part of a secret agent organization trying to find out what it's all about.

I Belong To You is a playful lovely piece that sparks my European fantasy. Mon Coeur S'voure A Ta Voix is outstanding and Romantic. The clarinet solo may be cheesy, but it couldn't have been more fitting.

Exogenesis I builds you up for a mysterious journey that must be followed. As the fog clears into the. Bass line, the story and plot slowly unfold.

Exogenesis II is the rough road of the journey. It starts as if you're traveling down a river, slowly picking up speed until you plunge down the falls. As the piano moves from the chromatic C to Ab to Fm chords, it feels as if you're seeing things falling along side you, then before you know it, you're at the bottom, seeing the rainbow mist flow upward around you when it turns into the Fm waltz. When the voice and cello come in I feel as if I've drifted through the fourth dimension itself, it's so uplifting and magical. Then when it builds up to the rock chorus, you see what it's really all about; you're having a vision of the truth. Then as it finishes, you fade back off into thwe dreamy river, heavily encased in thought.

Exogenesis III is a stunning conclusion of realization portrayed through a beautiful and inspirational piano and strings progression, the voice still asking questions that answer themself in the end. The album leaves you wondering, just wondering. It's perfect.

I wish I could sig all of this.

Its the most addictive Muse record.

That doesn't mean its the best - Resistance has an odd out of place chorus, Undisclosed Desires feels a bit out of place (not bad, just out of place), Unnatural Selection feels like New Born 2 and I haven't listened to Exo 2 and 3 in ages.

Uprising, USoE and MK Ultra are brilliant. Guiding Light is a strange one - I like it but it does feel overloaded by cheese.

- It's got the best trifecta of Muse songs yet (Exogenesis)

- Not afraid to go over the top, and in a very good way (USoE, IBTY, Exogenesis)

- The most beautiful closer in a Muse album yet (Redemption)

- That huge ass riff at the end of Unnatural Selection

- It's got the best trifecta of Muse songs yet (Exogenesis)

- Not afraid to go over the top, and in a very good way (USoE, IBTY, Exogenesis)

- The most beautiful closer in a Muse album yet (Redemption)

- That huge ass riff at the end of Unnatural Selection

All of this.

I love that it's the continuation of something different which they forayed into on BH&R but never fully discovered (that being the symphonic-ness). I love the blending of Queen with Matt's Chopin piano melodies. I love the heavy riffing of MK Ultra. I love the ridiculous cheesiness of Guiding Light. Perhaps my favourite part is the 1984 theme prevalent throughout the whole thing. I LOVE LOVE LOVE "Resistance" from the creepy synth intro to the rocking outro. And I absolutely love Undisclosed Desires. I love that The Resistance, more than anything before, is THEIR album, a musical representatin of each Matt, Dom, and Chris, and that's it's just one sonata in the evolution of the beautiful, ongoing masterpiece of a concerto which is the band we call Muse.

Archived