Death of Santa 2.0?

Dave.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can't imagine birdseye or flamed maple being so unstable that it isnt going to be usable as a neck. Fair enough it might be more likely to warp, but it wont be such a huge difference in stability that it just isnt usable. Providing the truss rod is functioning properly, it should be stable enough to make just as good a neck as regular maple.

I've had no problems with the MB-1, it's probably the best neck I've got. That and the Explorer's.

In fact, the neck I've had the most problems with, the John Mayer one, is regular maple...

Yeah, I had some major issues with the original neck on my US strat. But that might be down to the wood fender is using or the way they're made.

I don't know what it is exactly. I'd assume if you get the wood from a good source and build the neck properly, there won't be any issues.

birdseye and flame/quilt are more likely to be caused by stress than disease. spalt - now thats disease!! and very unstable. obviously.

I've only really seen tops made of spalt

Check this out...PRS 513 with a one piece brazilian rosewood neck

IMG_2837.jpg

I've only really seen tops made of spalt

Check this out...PRS 513 with a one piece brazilian rosewood neck

IMG_2837.jpg

Wow..

Yeah, I guess Fender just isn't quite on par with huge...and I guess my Explorer is a rarity :LOL: That really is one of the best guitars I've had or played. Except the sticky gloss neck

yeah Spalt is disease! Better yet a fungus thats growing within the wood. Roger also kind of knocks Fender and Gibson calling them crap. He told me the many CEOs of Fender and Gibson almost none of them play guitar. And the woods they use are extremely fresh kiln dried so I assume the problems come also from the amount of moisture stuck in the wood.

Gibson is trash, They're guitars are becoming robotic Super computers with a price that would require you to cut off your foot. They keep adding the Self tuning to the Lespauls , Theyre latest fails are the Dusk Tiger and this monstrosity FireBird X. Also Get a load of their anniversary les pauls.... Terrible

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Gibson-USA-Anniversary-Flood-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

Its a bit unfair to say Gibson is trash. Fair enough some of their recent offerings such as the Firebird X arent their best and are certainly not to everyones tastes, but its not like they arent still offering great guitars as well. They still have their standard Les Pauls and SGs etc, which are more or less just the same as they have always been, simple and effective designs, which the fancy optional extras.

It seems like youre saying the whole company is trash just because some of their more recent guitars have been different and not necessarily perfect. Dont get me wrong, Im not a huge fan of the robot guitars or the Dusk Tigers etc, but at least Gibson are making an effort to bring something new and interesting to their designs.

Yeah their prices are too high and some of their ideas arent great, but Gibson is still a great company, still making great guitars.

/rant

Gibson is trash, They're guitars are becoming robotic Super computers with a price that would require you to cut off your foot. They keep adding the Self tuning to the Lespauls , Theyre latest fails are the Dusk Tiger and this monstrosity FireBird X. Also Get a load of their anniversary les pauls.... Terrible

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Gibson-USA-Anniversary-Flood-Les-Paul-Studio.aspx

I wouldn't go as far as calling them trash, but I agree with everything else you said.

I've tried a fair few recent gibsons (as in guitars, like the SG standard, LP traditional, etc - not the robot ones) and they aren't bad guitars. Just VERY overpriced for what they are.

Now, even though I'm going to get flamed for this by many, I'll go ahead and say it. I've found that gibson's quality control recently has been miles better than fender's.

why? of the US strats I've tried recently (most were from 2009), they ALL had abnormalities in the neck and dyed fretboards. gibson doesn't dye their fretboards, and I haven't seen a bad neck in a while. but who knows what happens in the long run - i've seen loads of 80's and 90's gibsons which were pretty much unplayable.

But on the other hand, I don't think fenders are overpriced, and they come out with some exciting new stuff sometimes...whereas gibson ran out of ideas years ago.

Obviously, each have their pros and cons

Although I've heard many more horror stories about Gibson QC fails than Fender. I don't think I've had any terrible experiences of my own though, the JM Strat not counting because it came from Singapore like that, not the factory

Well you'd have to get it from a dealer anyway, rather than factory direct. Just this one was a bit questionable :pope:

Archived