Review your Guitar.

RagedHysteria

One thing that I really dislike about that one though, and it's probably your fault James :p , the choice of bridge. The chrome FR looks so out of place on it in my opinion.

How's the finish in the flesh? Smooth or is the grain still open?

One thing that I really dislike about that one though, and it's probably your fault James :p , the choice of bridge. The chrome FR looks so out of place on it in my opinion.

How's the finish in the flesh? Smooth or is the grain still open?

Yeah it was my fault :p Not sure if it would've looked any better with black, but some of the other hardware is chrome anyway

and the finish is pretty smooth - not 100% flat though, because some of the finish went into the pores of the wood. it's actually easier to see than feel.

not sure if the headstock colour really works with the body, but thats just personal preference I guess!

Those are the only two things I dont like about it, and they are down to choice of the buyer and by no means a reflection on the builder. And maybe because im a JEM fanboy FR bridges without a lion-claw are just wrong :p some peaveys have it to, yuk.

I liked it when i saw it and i still think it looks cool.

Just because I'm bored, a few more reviews (I already did some on the first page)

Maton BB1200JH

Josh Homme signature model. Similar to the one I mentioned before, but the body is blackwood, and it has a few other small differences. Unlike my other one (which has been sorted out since) this was very good out of the box, and I see no reason to have any work done on it. Not sure if they're inconsistent or what. No visible flaws in the finish (which looks amazing) and it plays very well. overall rating...9.5/10

Madarozzo madrose

What the emex londaxe should have been. very similar, but it's a MASSIVE improvement in every possible way. massive improvement. pickups are a bit crap (i might replace them someday), but otherwise, i can't fault it. Very solid feeling guitar. also, the strap locks are those generic "ace" ones sold by guitarfetish, which I don't trust. I've had some of those fall apart in the past. overall rating.... 9.0/10

Manson MA-2 (custom)

I'm sure you all know a bit about these. Mine has been heavily customized with a new finish and other bits (sustainer, MBK-3 bridge pickup, kill switch, etc) but the body and neck are the same that you'd find on the standard MA guitars. All of these modifications added on a fair bit to the price obviously, but considering you can get these for under £1000... it's a steal. Really can't recommend them enough. Very well built guitar. overall rating...9.0/10

Manson Cracked Mirror Custom E guitar

This is a custom build I ordered. It's turned out better than I expected - absolutely flawless. Neck is a custom profile which is great. feels very solid and resonates well. Has the dual P90 setup with a single coil sustainer - loads of sounds available. The ONLY issue is that there was a bit of an imperfection in the mirror finish on the headstock, but it's not too bad. Other than that, I couldn't be happier with this one. Right up there with that tele which I've said so many good things about. overall rating ... 9.9/10

I'll also post about the wangcaster MK 1 once I get that back. I can't really post an honest review as it had a bit of a problem when I last had it.

I'm very pleased with the positive response.

The strat was a hybrid of old shop/methods and the newly learned skills. All guitars coming out are on par with those. The small details are all taken care of on the upcoming builds (logo, proper finish for those wanting it).

Playability, fretwork, wiring cleanliness, setup, is all on par with guitars of that price range. It is a lifetime of learning, and I am not forcing anyone to buy. $2,500-$3,000 is what I feel is a fair price for the time and effort I put into these.

Edit: And DEFINITELY need to have a quicker production time. Realistically, I'm now quoting between 10-16 weeks depending on current workload and all that is being done.

I could have sworn I took pictures of that... I guess not. It was very tight, but the wrong is very clean on the inside. I had to chisel a little bit on the sides to get a fit, but it's all very clean, organized, and heat shrunk tubing :)

That heat shrink stuff is brilliant. This is a rewire i did on a strat with bareknuckles

f962009e.jpg

Very nice - is that fancy capacitor just for looks then? I know how you said you couldn't hear a difference between the cheap and expensive ones

I'll have to take a look at the strat's wiring later. the back plates seem solid enough... had to adjust the claw in the back when I changed strings, and didn't break anything when putting it back on

• 7 months later...

Fender Jaguar classic player HH (it's all about the HH ;))

Got this guitar almost 2 years ago now and its pretty much perfect for the stuff I do, it Holds tuning really well and lives its life in standard/drop D and occasionally to drop A for 'attempting' CE :facepalm: Got a great neck with some nice neck figuring all the way along the top :awesome: the necks a bit chunkier than strats I've played but I find it much comfier probably because I came from using a 'dot' for about 2 years before. The stock humbucker pickups are suprisingly hot and handle distortion and cleans great especially when you split them, hopefully at some stage though im going to upgrade to a mbk2 set or something similiar.

With the electronics you either love them or hate them! the 3 small switches for selecting pickups and applying a 'boost' are quirky and pretty fiddly to change quickly, but it doesn't bother me too much because I hardly change out of the bridge position haha! Its got a normal 'gibson' style tunomatic bridge instead of the original jag bridges which are well known for being pretty rubbish so that helps massively with the tuning stability. The trem is..lets say 'different', it holds tuning great even when you go mental on it however it seems delicate? within a week of getting it I had to take it back and have it fixed, because whilst screwing the trem arm into the socket thing it sort of...fell apart :facepalm: Turns out apparently they have a limit and I might have passed it without realising :LOL: I rarely use the trem anyway so I usually just keep the trem locked down now :)

So overall my favourite guitar, its quirky and fun to play, love the olympic white finish, love the sound, great neck...Well done Fender, you did well :awesome:

Niiiice, I think I know what you mean about the tailpiece (or whatever it's called) on the jaguar, assuming it's the same as what's on the jazzmaster. I've had that happen with mine twice, and I've had to take it apart both times to sort it out. I just keep it locked as well.

Niiiice, I think I know what you mean about the tailpiece (or whatever it's called) on the jaguar, assuming it's the same as what's on the jazzmaster. I've had that happen with mine twice, and I've had to take it apart both times to sort it out. I just keep it locked as well.

Haha yeah! the guy at andertons who fixed it said that the jazz/jag trems haven't really advanced in design much over time and that the vintage ones used bike spring parts? :facepalm:

Archived