Muse re-learning songs...

Museic07

Piano Cave was alright...but nothing on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkzuR7lAwX0

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUg2nD2zJic

To be honest I don't think (and certainly hope) that they don't do any jazzy versions. Muse have always regarded R&L as one of the rockiest crowds, so I imagine they'd lean towards more heavy guitar orientated performances rather than the jazzy piano stuff.

I'm pretty much just expecting them to be as they were back in 2001, but with different guitar tones, probably Matt messing around with his vocals and some added synth bits by Morgan...kinda like what they've done with Dead Star since 2008

Piano Cave was alright...but nothing on

To be honest I don't think (and certainly hope) that they don't do any jazzy versions. Muse have always regarded R&L as one of the rockiest crowds, so I imagine they'd lean towards more heavy guitar orientated performances rather than the jazzy piano stuff.

I'm pretty much just expecting them to be as they were back in 2001, but with different guitar tones, probably Matt messing around with his vocals and some added synth bits by Morgan...kinda like what they've done with Dead Star since 2008

Muse know R&L is the pinnacle of rock festivals and they will want to rock it like that.. everyone loves a piano, but i like screeching wailing guitars being played within an inch of its own destruction...

maybe they could forget NSC altogether to free up space in the mental memory banks for OoS :LOL:

wouldn't be surprised if all the OoS songs are mindblowingly average when played at R/L

I really really hope Hyper Music isn't a downer.. with the way Matt sings songs now it seems like we'll hear a lot of half-assed "screams" in the fashion of the "I Wish I Could" at the end of Stockholm

I really really hope Hyper Music isn't a downer.. with the way Matt sings songs now it seems like we'll hear a lot of half-assed "screams" in the fashion of the "I Wish I Could" at the end of Stockholm

I think Matt will sing Hyper Music pretty similar to what's on the record. One of the reasons I think he screamed the chorus before was that it really was the only way he could reach those notes. But I think he has gotten better control over his voice now, and that he reaches those high tones more easily.. Maybe.. :p

I like the way Matt sings. He has a beautiful tone to his voice. I know you purists believe that angst is the only way, but if you are referring to the way he has recently been singing Resistance at the end, I honestly don't think he was trying to be half ass. It seems to me like he was trying to do something different to shake up the song. Maybe after he listens back to it he will realize it didn't work out quite the way he wanted. Singing that part in falsetto is more difficult than just singing it straight.

It's like when he sang the high note at the end of Bliss back at R&L in '06. Everyone loved that. He was trying something different and it paid off. Give him some slack. He's trying to be creative. None of you know whats really going on in his mind.

Singing that part in falsetto is more difficult than just singing it straight.

You obviously have no clue. Singing in falsetto is MUCH easier than in chest voice, and that is certainly why he does it. Matt's not deaf (I think) and everyone who aren't can hear that it sounds like shit.

And the brilliant reinforced falsetto in Bliss can't even be compared to that half-ass falsetto in Resistance.

And no one is really complaining about his voice now, it's better than 10 years ago but he has to use it properly instead of avoiding the difficult notes.

I like the way Matt sings. He has a beautiful tone to his voice. I know you purists believe that angst is the only way, but if you are referring to the way he has recently been singing Resistance at the end, I honestly don't think he was trying to be half ass. It seems to me like he was trying to do something different to shake up the song. Maybe after he listens back to it he will realize it didn't work out quite the way he wanted. Singing that part in falsetto is more difficult than just singing it straight.

It's like when he sang the high note at the end of Bliss back at R&L in '06. Everyone loved that. He was trying something different and it paid off. Give him some slack. He's trying to be creative. None of you know whats really going on in his mind.

But obviously you do.

Plus, there's absolutely no argument. It's demonstratively evident Matt struggles these days with some of his more powerfu vocal moments - Resistance outro, Stockholm outro, Bliss falsetto, City Of Delusion chorus, Megalomania outro, etc - you need only compare these to one, year, two year, five years ago, etc, to chart his difficulties reaching these bits.

It doesn't make Matt a bad singer, he isn't, it's just unfortunate that the way he sings/has to sing them (I do agree with those who say he takes the easy way out at times) detracts from performances of certain songs at certain times.

I actually hope Hyper Music improves because it was absolutely shit live back in the day.

"Don't think we've ever played Darkshines".

Oh really Chris? :LOL:. I'm fairly sure there's Hullabaloo footage of you doing just that.

Whaaa. That's insane. Chris can literally remember setlists from gigs they played in 1994. He's got to be joking. :LOL:

I actually hope Hyper Music improves because it was absolutely shit live back in the day.

I wouldn't go this far but unusually for a Muse song I've always thought the studio version was the best version of Hyper Music.

In regards to his vocals I think that he can still do a lot of the songs perfectly, even old songs like Citizen Erased. However he's written the songs, particularly early on, in a way that if his vocals changed or got worse it makes things very difficult for him. For instance I'm not really certain he would still be able to sing Falling Down at all anymore.

raw would be best. maybe a couple of not even soft boiled so there's texture but they still splat.

But the raw ones would just make a mess while a hard boiled one could knock him clean out before he ruins Darkshines' reputation forever

In regards to his vocals I think that he can still do a lot of the songs perfectly, even old songs like Citizen Erased. However he's written the songs, particularly early on, in a way that if his vocals changed or got worse it makes things very difficult for him. For instance I'm not really certain he would still be able to sing Falling Down at all anymore.

He would. It's not falsetto parts he has troubles with.

It's the most intense live song Muse has ever played and certainly not shit.

He would. It's not falsetto parts he has troubles with.

I know that it's not generally the falsetto he has trouble with but it'd still be a difficult one for him to sing regularly I feel. You can tell in the more recent Micro Cuts that he finds it somewhat more difficult.

Anyway, my point is more that in general his vocal style (it seems to me) is one that requires a lot of effort and doesn't really accommodate for changes in his style or ability.

It's the most intense live song Muse has ever played and certainly not shit.

Vocally was certainly shit and no, is not the most intense live song Muse has ever played.

P.S.: I love the song, but not it's live version.

I know that it's not generally the falsetto he has trouble with but it'd still be a difficult one for him to sing regularly I feel. You can tell in the more recent Micro Cuts that he finds it somewhat more difficult.

Anyway, my point is more that in general his vocal style (it seems to me) is one that requires a lot of effort and doesn't really accommodate for changes in his style or ability.

If he puts some effort into it, I don't think he will have any problems with older songs. But as you say, it might be a bit tiresome on regular basis, but who knows? He's not the type to indicate to the public how he feels or if he should have any problems. Anyway, Reading/Leeds will be a good indication to what he's good for. I just hope he understands that half-ass performances of old songs just won't do.

If he puts some effort into it, I don't think he will have any problems with older songs. But as you say, it might be a bit tiresome on regular basis, but who knows? He's not the type to indicate to the public how he feels or if he should have any problems. Anyway, Reading/Leeds will be a good indication to what he's good for. I just hope he understands that half-ass performances of old songs just won't do.

Fair enough.

Archived