Why don't you enlighten us, o great god of all-knowing music?

I like your style.

Using fancy words that you don't understand and then try to be a smartass about it when someone calls you out on your bullshit.

Well Steve Albini hates recording with digital because of legacy reasons, but I do prefer it for sound reasons. Recording to analogue tape gives a smooth wave, it's not always easy to replicate a fully smooth wave with digital, because digital recording tends to "step" up and down to approximate the wave.

Of course, that won't affect the general sound quality depending on the equipment used to record, but I find that the engineers that prefer to record to analogue tape have much better skill at getting the sounds correct. Because digital makes it easier to record and edit, I find that it's easier to let errors creep in and go unhindered to final master. Paradoxical I know, but hey.

Is any of that wrong?

I'd like Muse to work with Steve Albini for many reasons...mainly in that he knows how to lay down rock on record. He prefers analogue over digital and that generally gives a better sound to an album, feels less cold and mechanical.

My ex- husband who is a music elitist of the worst kind states that Steve Albini, who he worships the ground that he walks on, (and who we actually discussed this back when TR was coming out) doesn't like Muse and would never work with them because of their lack of sincerety. Whether this is true or just my ex being his usual ass self, I don't know. :$

My ex- husband who is a music elitist of the worst kind states that Steve Albini, who he worships the ground that he walks on, (and who we actually discussed this back when TR was coming out) doesn't like Muse and would never work with them because of their lack of sincerety. Whether this is true or just my ex being his usual ass self, I don't know. :$

It's quite possible, he's known for his unusual methods of charging bands for his time and using his studio.

"I charge whatever the hell I feel like at the moment, based on the client's ability to pay, how nice the band members are, the size and directly proportional gullibility of the record company, and whether or not they got the rock."

It's quite possible, he's known for his unusual methods of charging bands for his time and using his studio.

"I charge whatever the hell I feel like at the moment, based on the client's ability to pay, how nice the band members are, the size and directly proportional gullibility of the record company, and whether or not they got the rock."

Yes, this is one of the things dingus pointed out to me as well.

I remember this quote.

Well Steve Albini hates recording with digital because of legacy reasons, but I do prefer it for sound reasons. Recording to analogue tape gives a smooth wave, it's not always easy to replicate a fully smooth wave with digital, because digital recording tends to "step" up and down to approximate the wave.

Of course, that won't affect the general sound quality depending on the equipment used to record, but I find that the engineers that prefer to record to analogue tape have much better skill at getting the sounds correct. Because digital makes it easier to record and edit, I find that it's easier to let errors creep in and go unhindered to final master. Paradoxical I know, but hey.

Is any of that wrong?

Yes.

Tape "sweetens" the sound, sort of adds a touch of compression and harmonics (aka distortion), so the idea of a completely smooth waveform goes out of the window instantly as when harmonics are added, the waveform changes.

PCM at 24/96kHz = 2,304,000 1's and 0's every second, the idea you can hear any "stepping" is insane. And that's assuming you can create a completely perfect sine wave in the first place. ;)

It is possible to argue that mixing with digital is harder than it is with tape because it is so clean in comparison and tape sort of does the work for you and in all fairness, Costney's engineering is top notch and engineering =/= Production, Albini is also brilliant, especially as an engineer.

Also a lot of people record tape/vinyl to digital for the convenience, also that's how early sampling started out for a start!

And ultimately, there's no such thing as "analogue" or "digital", the final result on a CD is digital and everything before the medium for recording makes more of a difference. Or do you only buy vinyl and use valve amplifiers?

Muse going soft???

I'm just gonna leave this here...

To be honest a mixture of soft-rock, hardcore-rave and say BH&R + TR rock soundings would make a pretty sweet album.

Thanks for posting that. I guess you really can't believe anything Matt pulls out of his ass during interviews. He changes his mind like a girl changes clothes. :rolleyes:

Yes.

Tape "sweetens" the sound, sort of adds a touch of compression and harmonics (aka distortion), so the idea of a completely smooth waveform goes out of the window instantly as when harmonics are added, the waveform changes.

PCM at 24/96kHz = 2,304,000 1's and 0's every second, the idea you can hear any "stepping" is insane. And that's assuming you can create a completely perfect sine wave in the first place. ;)

It is possible to argue that mixing with digital is harder than it is with tape because it is so clean in comparison and tape sort of does the work for you and in all fairness, Costney's engineering is top notch and engineering =/= Production, Albini is also brilliant, especially as an engineer.

Also a lot of people record tape/vinyl to digital for the convenience, also that's how early sampling started out for a start!

And ultimately, there's no such thing as "analogue" or "digital", the final result on a CD is digital. Or do you only buy vinyl and use valve amplifiers?

I have had the pleasure of hearing vinyl records played back through a tube amp, yes. And it's just a pity that that isn't the standard for music playback, because to me it's a much preferable sound to CD or digital file. Of course, for everyday playback that's impractical, and we have to make do with digital media, and without a really good pair of speakers or headphones the whole discussion is moot anyway!

I have had the pleasure of hearing vinyl records played back through a tube amp, yes. And it's just a pity that that isn't the standard for music playback, because to me it's a much preferable sound to CD or digital file. Of course, for everyday playback that's impractical, and we have to make do with digital media, and without a really good pair of speakers or headphones the whole discussion is moot anyway!

It's a preference, it's not necessarily "better".

It is possible to record that sound as a digital file and get that exact sound (I do this with all my vinyl, so I get that first play sound every time ;)), digital doesn't change anything, so the preference is more if a visual/mental thing. Also vinyl tends to be better mastered (Not always the case!), which helps add to the myth.

It's a preference, it's not necessarily "better".

It is possible to record that sound as a digital file and get that exact sound (I do this with all my vinyl, so I get that first play sound every time ;)), digital doesn't change anything, so the preference is more if a visual/mental thing. Also vinyl tends to be better mastered (Not always the case!), which helps add to the myth.

But like I said, without the correct playback equipment the point is moot. There's no point having these fantastic-quality recordings if at the end of the day they're just going to be played through a mobile phone speaker :chuckle:

I get your point though, and I do prefer the sound of vinyl on a good system...although I've not had the chance to play a CD over a tube amp, so I suppose I can't properly compare until I do that!

Anyway, the point remains that Albini would be good for Muse's sound if they decided to go and do rock properly again. Although he'd probably never work woth them :LOL:

Oh god :facepalm:

I want Muse to go back to the OoS days when the songs were actually good. Not more NSC shit

I understand people wanting more rock songs like US and MKU, but a second OoS? Muse aren't brooding, angsty 20 year olds anymore. They can't just go back to that mindset.

I understand people wanting more rock songs like US and MKU, but a second OoS? Muse aren't brooding, angsty 20 year olds anymore. They can't just go back to that mindset.

As much as I want to hate this and deny it, there is truth in this. You grow up through time. Not speaking for the band, but I am certain they don't have that young angst anymore.

Archived