I think he meant more of a "this song triggers certain emotions and memories" type obsession. He meant that you can love the music and appreciate what you hear without knowing every little detail about it. The detail obsession is sometimes a side-effect.

:facepalm:

hyper_chondriac_muser is doing nothing except trying to justify his own ignorance and dare to suggest a massive passion and love for music and a constant desire to discover more and learn more is snobbery purely for elitists.

All I'm trying to say if someone loves the sound of something in a song, I find it odd that they wouldn't want to find out what it is and explore it further. It's not about knowing every little detail as only those who actually made it will ever know that. Just like if you heard a song by a band for the first time, would you not want to seek out more by that band, or at least bother to find out who they are?

An example of mine would be the first time I really took any notice of an Oboe (There's one in Megalomania I think, during the second verse), which is purely down to this song -

- I've still got loads of memories associated with it as well as love it to pieces and there's always that little bit of excitement when I hear one in other music.

Anyway, Wurlitzers have been used on some of the biggest songs out there -

- Then there's the even more famous Fender Rhodes.

All I'm trying to say if someone loves the sound of something in a song, I find it odd that they wouldn't want to find out what it is and explore it further. It's not about knowing every little detail as only those who actually made it will ever know that. Just like if you heard a song by a band for the first time, would you not want to seek out more by that band, or at least bother to find out who they are?

Well, people have different curiosity levels, obviously. I think there's a vast difference between hearing a song by a band for a first time and wanting to find out more about them, and feeling compelled to investigate what's behind a certain sound/instrument in a song. I usually don't do the latter, and I don't think that's weird or means I can't feel as connected to the song. I'm not a musician (beyond singing in a choir), and that's probably why.

And she's a girl, ffs! Just sayin'.

You are well and truly talking out of your arse. It's not some high & mighty pedestal of mine, I just find that lack of curiosity about something that someone has "built an emotional attachment to" strange as well as not wanting to experience it in as great a way as possible.

Surely if someone is interested or even loves something, they'll want to know as much about it as possible?

But please refrained from posting if you're going to us phrases such as "lesser beings", it's just pathetic and to say the emotional side of it is not important to me is equally as insulting.

Knowing the cameras used in a film is much like knowing what microphones are used in a recording, the instruments are the characters in front of the cameras...

First of all: right back at you. I've never known another person on this board to talk as much shite as you, but I don't sit there being all 'high and mighty' about what others decide to post, which is exactly what you do in almost every post.

Second: no, actually, not EVERYONE wants to know every little detail about stuff they love. Sometimes just what you feel from it is enough.

And don't tell me what I can and can't post. I said the 'lesser beings' comment cos you always come across as being better than everyone in your posts and, frankly, I'm sick of it. I've disagreed with a lot of people on here before, but I respect their opinions because they don't deliver their arguments as if they're the only ones that are right.

hyper_chondriac_muser is doing nothing except trying to justify his own ignorance and dare to suggest a massive passion and love for music and a constant desire to discover more and learn more is snobbery purely for elitists.

An example of mine would be the first time I really took any notice of an Oboe (There's one in Megalomania I think, during the second verse), which is purely down to this song -

- I've still got loads of memories associated with it as well as love it to pieces and there's always that little bit of excitement when I hear one in other music.

Anyway, Wurlitzers have been used on some of the biggest songs out there -

- Then there's the even more famous Fender Rhodes.

:LOL: :LOL:

Talk about ignorance. I'm a GIRL, you twit! :facepalm:

Again, you just seem to prove that everyone has to agree with what YOU think of something. We all have different levels of curiosity, and again, not Everyone cares about what instruments are being played. How come everyone else here gets that but you?

I can't even be bothered to argue this cos you refuse to understand another person's perspective - not just mine but Anyone's.

The first comment I made a few people agreed with - they understood that you can love a song and appreciate it on an emotional level without wanting to explore every angle of it in depth, so your comment that I'm "talking out of my arse" doesn't seem to be justified.

Thanks Furygirl, but it's no use arguing with this guy.

I'm sure if Muse announced a gig tomorrow where they only used Turkish instruments or something, I'm sure you'd all not bother going as you've all heard those songs before. The different instruments used won't result in a different interpretation of the music.

Nobody has any preference of Matt either using a piano or a guitar for songs like Sunburn & Screenager.

I'm sure that if Muse had sent out that string quartet who did that tribute album to do Stockholm Syndrome at Wembley Stadium, the mosh pits would still have kicked off regardless.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I was absolutely spot on about trying to justify ignorance with washy-washy nonsense.

I didn't say everyone has the exact curiosity either, just if you loved something, you'd want to investigate it further. As per usual, far too desperate to argue with me to understand what I'm getting at, it ain't my ego that's the problem here.

Got to agree with Dalia for the most part. I would guess the majority of fans don't particularly care about the instrumentation or the origin of the sounds they are hearing. Sure it's interesting but it isn't necessary.

I don't know what a Wurlitzer is. I couldn't tell it apart from some keyboard effect. I don't see it as being vital to my enjoying of Feeling Good.

If I enjoyed Feeling Good, that is.

You can appreciate a painting without knowing the names of the dyes and what minerals they are derived from.

Blah, blah, blah... elitist nonesense.

You're not understanding cos you're interpreting everything how you want to read it. I didn't ever say that using different instruments wouldn't change how I felt listening or reacting to the songs. That's not the argument, here.

It's that you think people who don't explore the instrumentation of every song means they can't actually relate to it emotionally. That's bollocks. Music is personal, not technical.

If Sunburn was a guitar song, I'd feel differently about it, obviously. My reaction to it would change. We're all perfectly aware of the affects that instruments can have on emotional attachments to songs. Doesn't mean I'm now overcome by a desire to explore and find out all I possibly can about the instrumentation in every song as a result of that knowledge. I'm content knowing that all the various, complex, technical etc elements that made these tracks has had a significant impact on my ability to relate to and engage with the songs.

Thanks for proving all my points, yet again!

Got to agree with Dalia for the most part. I would guess the majority of fans don't particularly care about the instrumentation or the origin of the sounds they are hearing. Sure it's interesting but it isn't necessary.

I don't know what a Wurlitzer is. I couldn't tell it apart from some keyboard effect. I don't see it as being vital to my enjoying of Feeling Good.

If I enjoyed Feeling Good, that is.

You can appreciate a painting without knowing the names of the dyes and what minerals they are derived from.

Exactly! Niall - you've summed it up in a few lines better than I could! That's all I was getting at in the first place.

You're not understanding cos you're interpreting everything how you want to read it. I didn't ever say that using different instruments wouldn't change how I felt listening or reacting to the songs. That's not the argument, here.

It's that you think people who don't explore the instrumentation of every song means they can't actually relate to it emotionally. That's bollocks. Music is personal, not technical.

Then you're obviously still not getting it, I've said it enough times now and it's not what you've just said at all. It's remarkable you're happy to get personal, yet clearly don't get what I'm saying at the same time and going off on your own one.

I never said people can't relate to a song emotionally because they don't know the instruments used, so please stop suggesting that I ever did. Just simply that the lack of curiosity to find out more about something someone apparently enjoys doesn't make any sense. Doesn't have to be an instrument, it can absolutely anything.

I've never said people need to know the different between an AKG C414B-ULS or B-XLS to enjoy music or the difference between a Fender or Gibson, Rhodes or Wurlitzer, Neve or SSL, Pro Tools or Logic...

You don't need to have heard of any instrument to think it sounds beautiful, but why not find out what it is if you do find it beautiful?

Everyone is missing the point entirely. Surely if you love something, you want to experience more of it? There's a difference between appreciation and being a fan of something and that difference is the passion for whatever it is and that drives the curiosity to find out more about the things you enjoy.

That's twice in one post, if you don't get it by now... And it is getting boring that certain people do just argue with me for the sake of it and continuously repeat myself over & over & over & over & over & over...

I don't think the definition of fandom is further research, and passion doesn't equate to curiosity. I spend most of my time since 2001 loving Muse more than most of the insane fans on here without giving a damn what kind of synth they were using.

I don't think the definition of fandom is further research, and passion doesn't equate to curiosity. I spend most of my time since 2001 loving Muse more than most of the insane fans on here without giving a damn what kind of synth they were using.

I've never said people need to know the different between an AKG C414B-ULS or B-XLS to enjoy music or the difference between a Fender or Gibson, Rhodes or Wurlitzer, Neve or SSL, Pro Tools or Logic...

Same goes for Moog, ARP, Dave Smith, Roland, Oberheim, EMS, Korg...

You bothered to discover more material by Muse, listen and purchase new albums since 2001 as well as discover what they had released pior, build a massive collection of their releases and all the rest of it. It all ties in with what I'm getting at!

You didn't hear Plug In Baby 10 years ago, think it nice, then leave it at that.

Oh my goodness!

Seriously, why can't you just accept that the majority of people don't agree with you?

Argue your point a thousand ways and times, it doesn't make a difference. It's US that have to keep repeating ourselves over and bloody over cos you don't seem to get that we simply don't agree with you. News flash: not everyone in the world does.

Why don't I want to know what the instruments are that make the songs beautiful? Cos I don't give a shite about that. It's not as important. It matters, but not more than what the final song sounds like. The sound itself and not how it became that way matters more to me and the majority, judging by what everyone but you has said on this thread so far.

And that's NOT what you're getting at. You're equating being a fan with having to be curious about everything they do, musically and thus instrumentally. No. It doesn't.

And that's NOT what you're getting at. You're equating being a fan with having to be curious about everything they do, musically. No. It doesn't.

Oh for God's sake, this is just trolling now.

The sound itself and not how it became that way matters more to me and the majority, judging by what everyone but you has said on this thread so far.

No one has been saying that. Not once.

:LOL:

Wow.

It's quite pathetic you're still twisting everything. I still stand by my point that you are trying to justify your own ignorance.

I never suggested that people can't enjoy a song as a whole and find that something doesn't stand out individually to them, fucking hell, why would I?

Just if something did, then would someone not want to find out more about it? If someone listens to rock music, I'm sure they are into electric guitars for example... Doesn't mean they need to know what year the guitarist's Gibson was made (Or even Gibson for that matter!), what valves are in the amp or even play it and so on. But 99.999% of rock fans will know what an electric guitar is and roughly sounds like.

Thank fuck this isn't Muselive, "Music for clever people"!? :facepalm: The irony would be a bit much.

This is getting boring now. Can't change the fucking record can you? It's amazing that you don't see that you're, indeed the ignorant one. And worse yet, you're bloody arrogant on top of it. Check your ego at the door before you post.

The great thing is, most people reading through the whole interval we've just had here will see that you only reaffirm everything I've said.

So far, those that have posted regarding this argument has seen my side of it and pretty much disagreed with yours. What does that tell you? To you, it probably means that we're all ignorant to the intricacies of music and probably don't deserve to hear it if we don't want to find out every last bit about the instrumentation. (YAWN).

To me, it means that your arguments have been futile and tedious, at best. It amazes me that you can be so unbelievably narrow minded and stubborn, and STILL think you're in the right and that everyone else here is wrong. Again, talk about ignorance.

The content of the argument doesn't even matter; it's that you seem to use it to throw around your sense of importance above us all.

Oh and I thought Hyper_chondriac_muser was a girl! Got confused for a minute

I am a girl.

To you, it probably means that we're all ignorant to the intricacies of music and probably don't deserve to hear it if we don't want to find out every last bit about the instrumentation. (YAWN).

Still going to keep trolling are we and ignore everything I've been saying and keep posting that crap? :rolleyes:

I love that I'm the ignorant one, yet you don't know what an electric piano is and that has your favourite band has made use of one. OH WAIT, it's all about the whole thing, anything else is just for egotistical, arrogant, ignorant elitists. :LOL::facepalm:

Still going to keep trolling are we and ignore everything I've been saying and keep posting that crap? :rolleyes:

I love that I'm the ignorant one, yet you don't know what an electric piano is and that has your favourite band has made use of one. OH WAIT, it's all about the whole thing, anything else is just for egotistical, arrogant, ignorant elitists. :LOL::facepalm:

There you go!! Thank you! You've proved my point in one: This has ALL been about the fact that I - and many others in here that admitted the same - don't know what an electric piano is and that Muse have used it. OH NO! And because I didn't know that, you're a better fan and I'm an ignorant dumbass. Right?

So

Fucking

What

????

At the end of the day, I couldn't give a rat's arse about the instruments or your view for that matter. I've tried to make you understand. Several of us have, but there's no reasoning with someone who lacks common sense. If that makes me ignorant to you, it makes you arrogant to me. You can go back to sticking your head up your backside - where it's been for years, no doubt. I'm done.

LOL, second time I've seen that gif today. ;)

I don't know why people are still arguing. Each person has made their points. Agreement is not possible, so why bother continuing to bicker?

I'm just enjoying the accusation that anyone with enough interest in music to learn a bit about it is arrogant, ignorant and up their own arse. :LOL:

Also the original comment never actually mentioned instruments specifically. She's made up her own argument because I made her look a little stupid. :LOL:

Same goes for Moog, ARP, Dave Smith, Roland, Oberheim, EMS, Korg...

You bothered to discover more material by Muse, listen and purchase new albums since 2001 as well as discover what they had released pior, build a massive collection of their releases and all the rest of it. It all ties in with what I'm getting at!

You didn't hear Plug In Baby 10 years ago, think it nice, then leave it at that.

Yeah, but the point you made originally wasn't this. You were definitely talking about instrumentation before. Eg.

It is always interesting how little "fans" seem to know about what they are listening to. :)

Sorry but what? :LOL:

There's a massive difference to knowing what instruments are being used and say, a 3dB boost at 8kHz from a Pultec EQP1A to add a touch of presence.

To see people getting excited about Matt mentioning a Wurlitzer and saying how excited they'd be if he used one, surely would imply they know what the instrument is and how it sounds? To then not hear when Matt has used one in the past is pretty strange!

Surely if someone is interested or even loves something, they'll want to know as much about it as possible?

It all came about because you made that "fans" response directly because someone didn't know about the instrumentation of certain songs, so I'm not entirely sure why your argument has morphed somewhat from them, or if not, exactly what your "fans" comment was in response to right after that, if not instrumentation...I believe it was specifically what Morgan does and doesn't contribute.

I don't think you made her look stupid.

HCM is focusing on the instrumental part of your argument, even though you mentioned curiosity as a whole. But I'm pretty sure she still disagrees with your argument as a whole, ie. if you love something find out everything about it.

Who knows, maybe she has. Like, she loves Muse, so she chooses to find out everything about Muse and what inspired them. But you're just focusing on trying to make her look stupid. Whatever. It's not that big of a thing to have an argument about.

It all came about because you made that "fans" response directly because someone didn't know about the instrumentation of certain songs, so I'm not entirely sure why your argument has morphed somewhat from them, or if not, exactly what your "fans" comment was in response to right after that, if not instrumentation...I believe it was specifically what Morgan does and doesn't contribute.

The fans comment was separate to the rest of that post.

Second post was in response to "nitty gritty details", which in my mind would be the engineering side of things. I don't think playing a piano instead of a guitar is a nitty gritty detail.

Screwdriver, I haven't been saying find EVERYTHING out, so please stop with that nonsense. I know you're rubbish at reading my posts though.

I haven't had to try to make her look stupid, one minute she was interested in where Muse had used electric pianos, how suddenly instrumentation doesn't matter shit...

Archived