A wurlitzer... Matt, really? I read this bit and immediately got a feeling of impending doom... its going to be a music box plink, plink, plink... :'(

What?

What?

See article below.

Matthew Bellamy: Baby With Kate Hudson Is His Muse

Posted on May 20, 2011 by Admin

Matthew Bellamy and fiancée Kate Hudson are expecting their first child together within weeks, and Matthew says the baby is already inspiring his work.

The Muse frontman says his band’s next album may include some of the music that he and Kate have been playing for their unborn child. “I’m already getting the vibraphone out and the Wurlitzer – these nice sort of twinkling high nice sort of mellow sounds that makes the baby kick and stuff,” he said. “So I’ve got a feeling I’ll incorporate those sounds into the next album a little bit.”

http://getdealers.com/now/matthew-bellamy-baby-with-kate-hudson-is-his-muse/

But didn't Matt also say at NME he wanted to explore hardcore 80s/90s style rave?

It's quite possible for them to fit both style on the album and fit proper rock songs on. Just look at how many different styles there are on The Resistance and BH&R. Besides, Dom and Chris should tell him to get a grip if he really does go too far with all this soft and sentimental stuff.

Anything with 'Matt says' should be taken with a giant spoonful of salt! :LOL:

He rarely sticks to anything he says. I think his mood just changes entirely when he gets in the studio, and then a whole other sound comes out. Plus, that's the three of them experimenting, so it's bound to change from what they decided to say in an interview months before recording.

Oh, and I must add a :LOL: at 'random drums' in Assassin! Lolwut.

Yeah. Don't believe a word of it until the band start saying things like "we recorded 4 new songs and they sound like...".

I think the drumming point on Assissin may refer to the fact that the drums from Assassin were transplanted into MotP when Matt decided that Muse were actually going to be a cobbled together Lightening Bolt for 3 minutes.

I’m already getting the vibraphone out and the Wurlitzer

Matt is almost certainly joking, but if these somehow did make it onto the album, it would be very interesting and potentially epic... the Wurlitzer is used in a number of classic rock songs. Here's a video for those who don't recognise it:

And the vibraphone, which has an even heavier classic rock vibe...

Though if we're going by Muse logic, a high potential for awesomeness means significantly less potential of it ever happening.

Matt is almost certainly joking, but if these somehow did make it onto the album, it would be very interesting and potentially epic... the Wurlitzer is used in a number of classic rock songs. Here's a video for those who don't recognise it:

And the vibraphone, which has an even heavier classic rock vibe...

Though if we're going by Muse logic, a high potential for awesomeness means significantly less potential of it ever happening.

The first one, amybe i can see it happening. But the second?

That's actually really nice :LOL:

It's incredibly creepy and dark and twisted.

If I wanted to go there, I could argue with some in this thread about "Screenager", "Megalomania", "Sing For Absolution" and "Ruled By Secrecy" as examples of Muse doing creepy lullaby-esque songs.

Nice. Which songs exactly?

I really can't be bothered to double check all these but:

Muscle Museum

Hate This And I'll Love You

New Born

Bliss

Feeling Good

Butterflies & Hurricanes

Endlessly

Ruled by Secrecy

Matt mixes up acoustic piano with those instruments on a few songs, such as New Born, B&H and Ruled By Secrecy. Bliss starts on one, then the synth fades in. Muscle Museum it goes along with the bass guitar/is the bassline, HTAILY starts on one. Endlessly is one throughout.

Maybe a few others and B-Sides, but can't be bothered to go through everything to be certain.

Found a couple of interesting quotes about le Wurlitzer from an interview Matt did for a keyboard magazine back in 05.

It gets a bit technical but Matt mentions he used it on stage before (which, of course, would be relegated to 'Morgan duties' if they really did introduce it again in the next album/live tour!)

Did you use real Wurlitzer and Mellotron on your records?

Yeah. On the first album, that was real Mellotron. John Leckie was really into his old-school stuff and he pulled out the works, whereas Rich Costey who produced Absolution prefers more modern synths. So it was interesting working with those two different styles. I had mainly a piano upbringing, but I did have a Roland Juno 60. I used to muck around with that arpeggiator trying to find ways to make it lock. I’ve got a thing with arpeggios. [Laughs.]

Do you use any effects on the keyboards onstage?

I run both keyboards through the DeVille, so I can switch between a clean and a distorted sound. I run a DI from the MP9500 as well. I always keep the clean channel going and mix the distortion in to add some edge to it. I used to use a Wurlitzer onstage, but I found the MP9500 has such a good variety of sounds. I can pretty much find anything I need in there. I use a lot of the multi-patches, so I’ll have the piano backed up with strings or whatnot. I use the “Dirty Wurly” sound on a song called “Feeling Good,” which we put on our second album. It’s an Anthony Newley song, but it was made famous by Nina Simone. She’s one of my favorite singers.

I wouldn't mind some softer, more textural stuff on the next album. As long as it leans more towards, say, Megalomania than Guiding Light it should be fine. Also, as many have mentioned, take it with a grain of salt. Remember when The Resistance was gonna be stripped down and minimalist? Look where that ended up.

Found a couple of interesting quotes about le Wurlitzer from an interview Matt did for a keyboard magazine back in 05.

It gets a bit technical but Matt mentions he used it on stage before (which, of course, would be relegated to 'Morgan duties' if they really did introduce it again in the next album/live tour!)

Find footage of piano songs from the Showbiz tour as he used it for everything on the piano. By OOS he just used patches on digital pianos and still does to this day for songs like Feeling Good and Ruled By Secrecy, so I have no idea where you are getting "Morgan duties" from as it is just a change of patch to get a digital emulation of that sound.

It is always interesting how little "fans" seem to know about what they are listening to. :)

Have faith in your band is all I have to say... :rolleyes:

If Muse were capable of composing such mind-blowing songs in the past like Citizen Erased and Butterflies and Hurricanes...then I'm damn sure that they are still capable of producing more musical wonders to this day!

Sheesh... :$

Archived