From NME:

Muse will return with a potentially "softer" album next year, the band have revealed.

Drummer Dominic Howard and bassist Chris Wolstenholme spoke about the plan to NME at this afternoon's (May 19) Ivor Novello Awards ceremony in London, where they won the International Achievement award.

After revealing that they were planning to put out the follow-up to 2009’s 'The Resistance' in 2012 Howard said that the album could mark a shift in style for the band. "Matt [bellamy, frontman] showed me a few chords recently," he said. "Who knows, it might be softer rock, but then it's up to me and Chris to make it heavy again. A heavy rock lullaby! But I'm sure it will move forward in some way."

Wolstenholme explained that the band had been jamming on the road ahead of sessions later this year. He added: "We've got Reading Festival [plus the Leeds Festival, with them set to headline both] in August and maybe a few weeks off after that. So September, October time we’ll get into the studio and start writing and working on the songs."

Howard concluded: "It takes as long as it takes really, because you have to love it before you can just chuck it out there and into the real world. But definitely next year."[/Quote]

Opinions?.

I'm not really gonna pay attention to this cos you know it'll probably change throughout the whole process

I just hope by lullabies they're not cheesy lullabies with cliche lyrics, and more like some creepy eerie atmospheric ones

With a Dom and Chris jam in the middle :cool:

Also Adam Skirving's comment on NME :facepalm:

I hold out hope that playing OoS will bring back some heaviness.

Same.

As we know The Resistance was originally going to be a stripped down, back to basics album so I wouldn't worry about this, especially if the songs currently only exist as basic chord progressions.

Exactly. :chuckle: Never believe a word they say [about future plans]; that's my policy with Muse.

:LOL:

Although matt did say it would be up to him and chris to make it more heavy. Maybe it'll be alright?

And Matt, being pissed off by how they ruined his perfect pop songs, will never play them live :awesome:

LOL! In his own passive-agressive way, Dom sounds like he didn't much like those chords Matt presented to him, if he's trying to heavy them up already! :LOL:

BTW, no sense paying attention to any of this, the album is still a loooonnnggg way aways.

I was hoping that playing OoS in whole and opening for RATM would bring back some real Muse. Maybe it's too soon to tell... but a heavy rock lullaby sounds a lot like NSC. I don't want an album with 12 NSCs on it. :(

LOL! In his own passive-agressive way, Dom sounds like he didn't much like those chords Matt presented to him,

that was exactly the feeling i got too.

The same Chris and Dom who didn't want to put Fury on Absolution?

haha! :LOL:

but a heavy rock lullaby sounds a lot like NSC.

i have no idea what dom's definition of a 'heavy rock lullaby' is, so i don't think it's the best idea to start comparing it to songs that people might not like. we have no clue.

it's always the same. they describe the songs in one way and then when we hear them we realise they sound nothing like we thought they would :LOL:

I'm not taking much notice of this, they've mentioned so many conflicting ideas:rolleyes:, wasn't it 90's rave a while ago:LOL:. I just hope they lay off the cheese. Dom and Chris really need to sort Matt out.;)

Who knows what it will be like, I doubt they really have a clue themselves yet.

You can't really get rock that's much softer than The Resistance was.... This worries me.

I remember Dom saying that TR had both the heaviest and softest songs they had made so far.

Yeah right :LOL:

Archived