Where did New Users go?

Yeah i moved it out of public use for now because so much of it was spam. I haven't decided what to do with it for the future yet. In my opinion the area was a bit crap and I don't think people will miss it if it goes but I'm interested to guage opinion and I can certainly move threads from there into different forums if they are missed

Did you report the thread for being a spam thread?

Not this time. I usually do but sometimes it feels like I'm the only one reporting these threads and I don't want to look like a busybody. Stupid reason, I know.

I don't think it will be missed but kev, maybe the 'story behind your username' thread could be moved to other topics or something?

It annoyed me to see those creating their own "hi I'm new" threads when there is the thread for new users to introduce themselves.

What if new users started to post "hi" in other sections, shall I say "Banter"?

Maybe the New Users Section should be put back, but only with a few sticky threads marking out the rules and guidelines of the forum and the introduce yourself thread (so that they don't go aimlessly wandering off to Banter to introduce themselves).

I don't know whether this is possible but you could then make users unable to create new threads in that area so it only has the sticky rules thread and the introduction thread rather than hundreds of HAI I'M NEW threads

How about a New Users section that you can't post new threads in but has 5/6 stickies like 'Introduce Yourself Here' and 'Ask Questions Here' which you can post in and then 'Board Rules/FAQs', etc?

that's quite a good idea. It'll be interesting to see if there are any noticable changes from a lack of a new user area which create a need. what seems the biggest challenge is getting people to read things, as the new users section wasn't meant to be like it became but it was just too much trying to police it. Seems to me that broadly speaking there are two kinds of new user, the ones who just want to interact and get involved who don't want to read or the kinds who do read things and are thus not a problem.

I'd say a stripped down New Users section (like Clunge and others have suggested) is a good idea, so new people have somewhere to start if they're completely lost and can get their questions answered. Not all will read it but at least it will be there for those that could benefit from it.

Maybe the New Users Section should be put back, but only with a few sticky threads marking out the rules and guidelines of the forum and the introduce yourself thread (so that they don't go aimlessly wandering off to Banter to introduce themselves).

I don't know whether this is possible but you could then make users unable to create new threads in that area so it only has the sticky rules thread and the introduction thread rather than hundreds of HAI I'M NEW threads

:supersad:

How about a New Users section that you can't post new threads in but has 5/6 stickies like 'Introduce Yourself Here' and 'Ask Questions Here' which you can post in and then 'Board Rules/FAQs', etc?

that's quite a good idea. It'll be interesting to see if there are any noticable changes from a lack of a new user area which create a need. what seems the biggest challenge is getting people to read things, as the new users section wasn't meant to be like it became but it was just too much trying to police it. Seems to me that broadly speaking there are two kinds of new user, the ones who just want to interact and get involved who don't want to read or the kinds who do read things and are thus not a problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived