Bass - Helsinki Jam - Open Strings?

SpaceSyndrome

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to bass, so I might be completely far off with this (still learning).

All the bass tabs I see for Helsinki Jam have a bunch of open strings thrown in there. I can't see them being played in any youtube video I've seen, and it just sounds completely wrong when I throw them in when playing.

As an example, here is a portion of some tabs posted online:

G|-12-0-0-15-0-0-14-0-0-17-0-0-15-0-19-0-|

G|-19-0-0-17-0-0-15-0-0-17-0-0-15-0-11-0-|

But none of those 0s are making any sense to me what-so-ever

Any bass players out there that can lend a hand? I'm going crazy trying to figure this out.

Thanks!

They are played, people barely lift their fingers up to play it, but it's right. ;) Just play the riff slowly and then speed it up a tiny bit more each time. It'll come naturally. Also, use hammer ons and pull offs to help with it.

Also play without distortion to begin with as well just so you can hear what the line is really like. It'll make more sense.

They are played, people barely lift their fingers up to play it, but it's right. ;) Just play the riff slowly and then speed it up a tiny bit more each time. It'll come naturally. Also, use hammer ons and pull offs to help with it.

Also play without distortion to begin with as well just so you can hear what the line is really like. It'll make more sense.

Thanks for the response.

That's the part that isn't making a whole lot of sense to me. How can you hammer on and/or pull off open notes? I've always thought for a hammer on/pull off, you need to touch the strings.

Again, sorry if that might seem like a silly question.. this is all new to me.

I've just been strumming every note (including the 0s) and it is sounding more death metal than Muse. :LOL:

Thanks for the response.

That's the part that isn't making a whole lot of sense to me. How can you hammer on and/or pull off open notes? I've always thought for a hammer on/pull off, you need to touch the strings.

Again, sorry if that might seem like a silly question.. this is all new to me.

I've just been strumming every note (including the 0s) and it is sounding more death metal than Muse. :LOL:

It might not have that much effect in this song now that I think about it but you can hammer on/pull off the notes that aren't open or aren't repeating.

You can hammer on from 0 to say 12 and pull off from 12 to 0.

Just to show you an example using a Muse Riff, here is someone's cover of Osaka Jam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-BYoBUrURw

Note though that they are only using one finger to pick too.

Archived