Greatest Band in the World?

forrestconner

How many people of note currently describe Hitler as one of their influences?

That's why his point is wrong.

currently? probably some sick people, but that's besides the point. I'd say millions back during WW2.

currently? probably some sick people, but that's besides the point. I'd say millions back during WW2.

So what influence did Hitler have on those millions that is comparable to the discussion on the table - consider that we're discusing musicians who have influenced many people to take up music and influenced the musical stylings of many billions of people around the world?

And in what way does todays pop influence anyone?

Perhaps influence is the wrong word, but everyone seems to think this stuff is creative, and just follow like sheep. Almost the same effect.

So what influence did Hitler have on those millions that is comparable to the discussion on the table - consider that we're discusing musicians who have influenced many people to take up music and influenced the musical stylings of many billions of people around the world?

This is total opinion, but when a band is influential to me they, in turn, change my whole life (bleh that sounds so cliche but its true). Take Muse for example, they change who i am, who i have become, and what i will be in the future. I don't really think their is a way to even define influence in the context we are using it in.

Music/bands make people take up music as a hobby/career.

Actors inspire others to take up a career in the movies or on TV

Hitler got "8.5 million" to become members of the nazi party, and (probably a little less) to take interest in nazism.

The list goes on...

This is total opinion, but when a band is influential to me they, in turn, change my whole life (bleh that sounds so cliche but its true). Take Muse for example, they change who i am, who i have become, and what i will be in the future. I don't really think their is a way to even define influence in the context we are using it in.

Music/bands make people take up music as a hobby/career.

Actors inspire others to take up a career in the movies or on TV

Hitler got "8.5 million" to become members of the nazi party, and (probably a little less) to take interest in nazism.

The list goes on...

But is Hitler still having a positive influence on the people that believe in his way of doing things? And I'll ask the question I asked before again: How many people OF NOTE (meaning famous, celebrities, newsworthy people, not just small-minded neo-nazi scummers) take Hitler as a positive influence on their lives? Are there many famous people today who we can look at and say, "yes, they've got the Hitler influence"?

To me, influence is about what happens not just when a band is active, but when a band is long gone and all there is left is the music. The Beatles still influence so many people around the world to take up music. Pink Floyd, the same. Queen, the same. The Stone Roses, the same. We can hear their influence in so many bands that come along these days.

Not to say there aren't bands active today that show massive influence on the music world. Radiohead have had more influence on people in music than just about anybody since the 90s. Because of The Bends, we have Travis, Coldplay, Keane, to an extent Elbow, so many different bands who happily state that Radiohead was one of their big influences. I don't put Muse in that category, because I don't hear a Muse influence in the musical world. I don't even put one of my favourite bands, Manic Street Preachers, in that category. They're good musicians, but influential? Nah.

I seriously cannot believe people are trying to compare a dead dictator with what we're actually talking about. There is no comparison to be drawn. I don't even understand WHY the comparison is even being put on the table.

Perhaps influence is the wrong word, but everyone seems to think this stuff is creative, and just follow like sheep. Almost the same effect.

Influence isn't really right in that sense. What happens is a record label finds an act that becomes popular, and other record labels cash in by trying to find copies. Well, it's influence of a sort, but not the kind we're really talking about.

How many people of note currently describe Hitler as one of their influences?

That's why his point is wrong.

I'm sorry, I did not realize that you were in a position to categorically state whether a point is right or wrong.

But is Hitler still having a positive influence on the people that believe in his way of doing things? And I'll ask the question I asked before again: How many people OF NOTE (meaning famous, celebrities, newsworthy people, not just small-minded neo-nazi scummers) take Hitler as a positive influence on their lives? Are there many famous people today who we can look at and say, "yes, they've got the Hitler influence"?

To me, influence is about what happens not just when a band is active, but when a band is long gone and all there is left is the music. The Beatles still influence so many people around the world to take up music. Pink Floyd, the same. Queen, the same. The Stone Roses, the same. We can hear their influence in so many bands that come along these days.

Not to say there aren't bands active today that show massive influence on the music world. Radiohead have had more influence on people in music than just about anybody since the 90s. Because of The Bends, we have Travis, Coldplay, Keane, to an extent Elbow, so many different bands who happily state that Radiohead was one of their big influences. I don't put Muse in that category, because I don't hear a Muse influence in the musical world. I don't even put one of my favourite bands, Manic Street Preachers, in that category. They're good musicians, but influential? Nah.

I seriously cannot believe people are trying to compare a dead dictator with what we're actually talking about. There is no comparison to be drawn. I don't even understand WHY the comparison is even being put on the table.

Hitler started Volkswagen (in case you didn't know, it's this little car company with about 350.000 employees), and he greatly improved infrastructure in many parts of Europe. Whether you wanna admit it or not, he still maintains influence today.

Influence is about what is, and not what people say they're inspired by (speaking of which, though, I've never heard a band actually list The Beatles as an influence).

What pisses me off the most, are arrogant pricks who can't seem to fathom the fact that not every person in the world loves The Beatles. And when they find out (and I have never heard otherwise), the only argument they have is "OOOOOH, BUT THE INFLUENCEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!"

No, there are millions of people out there who hate everything played on the radio. And I doubt that even half of the listeners thinks it's creative.

What pisses me off the most, are arrogant pricks who can't seem to fathom the fact that not every person in the world loves The Beatles. And when they find out (and I have never heard otherwise), the only argument they have is "OOOOOH, BUT THE INFLUENCEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!"

:facepalm:

No one is saying that you have to like The Beatles because they are influential, but that you can't call them overrated when most of the praise they get is for their impact on todays music.

:facepalm:

No one is saying that you have to like The Beatles because they are influential, but that you can't call them overrated when most of the praise they get is for their impact on todays music.

If I think they're overrated, I can damn well call them overrated.

Just as other people are allowed to state the undoubted influence the Beatles have had on music.

Have I ever said otherwise? No.

I'm referring to the fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to state your ill opinion of The Beatles without getting pummeled because of all their fantastic influence.

You can't deny their influence though. It doesn't mean you have to like them.

I am not denying their influence, I am simply stating my frustration at being met with facepalm smileys each time you say that you don't like them, or if you find them overrated.

I am not denying their influence, I am simply stating my frustration at being met with facepalm smileys each time you say that you don't like them, or if you find them overrated.

Nothing wrong with finding them overrated, but just because YOU don't happen to like them doesn't mean they aren't one of the best bands the world has seen.

I'm not a great fan of the Beatles, I couldn't care less if people think I'm wrong for thinking that. Perhaps if you were to say in advance that you can see why they're considered one of the greatest bands ever, then people would be more willing to accept you not liking them. I find that to be the case usually, and getting wound up just seems like a great way of allowing people to wind you up even more.

All I am saying is that there is a difference between calling them bad and calling them overrated, since they mostly are praised for how influential they are, not the quality of the music itself(even though they still have a lot of fans because of that ofc)

Eh, a Manics fan! Anyway, yea the dictator thing I would say is a bit of a stretch... they're kind of different ways of influencing, and for different reasons ect ect ect.

No, there are millions of people out there who hate everything played on the radio. And I doubt that even half of the listeners thinks it's creative.

I didn't mean everyone literally, but my main point is the people who don't take a moment to form their own opinion follow like sheep. This is not really influence, but if all your talking about is changing or directing a mass amount of people in a direction, the effects are pretty well the same. Of course though, many people do not listen to pop radio, and the listeners may not think its creative, but they also may not state any other music as creative. This has gone on too long :p

Have I ever said otherwise? No.

I'm referring to the fact that it's becoming increasingly difficult to state your ill opinion of The Beatles without getting pummeled because of all their fantastic influence.

I think its fine if its your own personal opinion, and no other conclusions trying to be made beyond that. Because theres nothing more irritating (well, only a few things are more irritating) than people who seem to think that they're opinion is the way it should be, just cause they said so. You can't deny the impact they've made, but whether you were, or you like the outcome, or blah blah blah, thats up to you for yourself. Personally, I don't get the big deal, but I don't hate them. But I would be lying to say I'm one of the people who were influenced by them. However, it is definitely foolish to state that they did nothing in the world.

Archived