Greatest Band in the World?

forrestconner

I mean they're my favorite band of all time, but that doesn't mean that they're the greatest.

If you include how influential they've been in the ranking, Muse isn't even close.

But in terms of consistently delivering performances and songs that can make one's pants wet, I'd say they're just about at the top, for me at least. Minus The Resistance, of course. But hey, Pink Floyd had some piss-poor albums.

I've just never heard anything better, and it's not even close. Though I'm not much of a fan of classic rock except for Boston, Queen and The Beatles; that's about it save a few ACDC and Lynyrd Skynyrd songs.

So I'd say in terms of influentiality (just made that up), The Beatles no questions asked. But if you're talking about pure, raw emotion coupled with great technical ability both instrumentally and vocally, Muse has to be it for me.

basically this.

I'd say Muse were there or there about my favourite band, but that certainly doesn't mean I think they are anywhere close to being the best. There's a big distinction. While I enjoy listening to Muse more than any other band I've so far came across and just find something within the music that really appeals to me that I can't put my finger on or explain, there's no way I would consider them the best. Maybe in ten years time we will look back on them as being one of the best, certainly of the current generation, they won't go down in history in any way close to bands like The Beatles, who for me are the greatest band ever. Their music was amazing not just for the time but even today, and the influence it had still shows today; modern music would not be anything like the way it is without them, and that alone, even ignoring the quality of the music they made, pretty much puts them top all on it's own.

what muse/rock song is better than bohemian rhapsody, or the seven seas of rhye, or bicycle race or every other queen song?

Now personally I'd argue Exogenesis is right up there with Bohemian Rhapsody, but that's just me. Like I said, something within Muse's music and the way they play live resonates with me, beyond the obvious exciting and dramatic-ness of it all, but something hidden deep within the music and the way they go about playing it (or at least when they can be bothered to play it properly and not just hide behind the lights like they did far too much last tour).

Muse has had a lot of good albums...a lot of great songs...amazing concerts...seriously...if they can hold their own as long as U2 has then they will be one of the greatest of all time.

Muse (or should I say Matt since he writes all the music) has yet to produce an album that was not fantastic; The Resistance is epic.

I'd say Bruce Springsteen is the greatest musician/rock star in the world, though Muse are my personal favorite. Bruce's music defined and continues to define the working class of America and the fact that he can put on 28 song sets at 61 years old is incredible

Radiohead, The Smiths, The Cure, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, The Rolling Stones, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, Bob Dylan, Simon & Garfunkel, Jimi Hendrix, Cream, Elvis Costello, Jeff Buckley, Pixies, David Bowie, R.E.M, Yes, Genesis, The Prodigy, Jethro Tull, King Crimson, Oasis, Blur, Beach Boys, Velvet Underground, The Kinks, The Who, Metallica, Portishead, Massive Attack, Chemical Brothers, Bjork, Rage Against The Machine, Sonic Youth, Captain Beefheart, Nine Inch Nails, Frank Zappa, The Clash, The Jam, Joy Division, Tool, Queens Of The Stone Age, Bruce Springsteen, Pulp, Crosby, Stills & Nash, Neil Young, Talking Heads, Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Hawkwind, Television, LCD Soundsystem, Manic Street Preachers, Pavement, My Bloody Valentine, Elbow, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Weezer, etc.

...Nearly 100 years of Blues, Country, Rock N' Roll and Folk as well as hundreds of years of Classical music.

...Rolf Harris.

.......Muse.

I prefer Muse to the majority of the above, who are all AWESOME btw, but subjectivity doesn't crush objectivity. The above have, and will carry forth, greater legacies than Muse unless Muse prove themselves with some truly groundbreakingly original, classic albums. Origin Of Symmetry is, indeed, a contender, but they're nowhere NEAR yet.

in terms of all time rock bands i think it goes:

The Beatles, Led Zep, Queen, Pink Floyd, Yes, Deep Purple, The Who, The Smiths, Nirvana, RATM, Radiohead (of OK Computer and The Bends era) and then Muse somewhere after those lot.

That's based on my opinion of their musical ability and talent and not just downright opinion on their music. I know i've missed a few bands there somewhere.

For me, they will always be my favorite band, and I consider them as the best band in the world, but no one can say "Muse is the best band in the world, period"

Unless they're a totally fazed muser who doesn't know any other band (don't say they don't exist... they're on this forum):facepalm:

Yes, they are the best band in the world! other compete, but aren't as good and never will be as good.Other bands, lyrics just don't make sense, have no meaning. But muse does. Muse will always be my favorite band.

You're saying no other bands' lyrics make sense? Also Muse's don't make sense often

You're saying no other bands' lyrics make sense? Also Muse's don't make sense often

Matt has outright said that. Although Tom Waits himself is not a band, Matt has said he thinks Tom is the greatest lyricist. Sorry, I'm agreeing with musestl, not the other dude :chuckle:

Yes, they are the best band in the world! other compete, but aren't as good and never will be as good. Other bands, lyrics just don't make sense, have no meaning. But muse does. Muse will always be my favorite band.

i was looking for Location: Chile but nah.

Archived