All of those songs are better than Hyper Music.

Tbh, some of Muse's later material is well beyond the highlights of the older stuff for me. But it also has some REALLY shitty songs. City of Delusion and Hoodoo over Hyper Music and Space Dementia anyday(even if SD is amazing)

I love all four songs, but HM and SD would be far more fun live than Hoodoo and CoD. Though I do wish they'd rotate Hoodoo and Feeling Good. I really do.

I know I'm a bit late but....

Honestly I think everyone is overreacting. Rarities from the newer albums (Hoodoo, City of Delusion, I Belong to You, Glorious, etc) are better than songs like Space Dementia and Hyper Music anyway. I know Matt didn't say they'd play new rarities but if they do I'd be much happier with those than with the older rarities

Not sure if I totally agree with you, but I think while people can have their preferences, they have to appreciate all their albums because they are so different from each other (esp. OoS and, say TR). Appreciate is not the same as like or favourite though, and that's what people seem to be missing.

I never got that impression from Dom at all...

From the interview it never seemed to me that they weren't proud of their current songs and their current live shows, but more that over the last 10 years since OoS they've been working their way trying to make their way to being the biggest and 'best' ('best' being open to interpretation) live band in the world, and to be honest it's fair to say they've pretty much achieved that this tour. However, while they've enjoyed everything they've done so far, now that they've achieved their goal they can stop striving to become even bigger with every tour that comes, but instead just play live for the fun of it and because they love it (not saying they don't love it now, but you can compare the difference between 2010 and 2001).

Sense. Did that make any? ^

The whole OoS theme for R/L just seems a nice way to officially send it off. They probably knew that a load of tracks from it wouldn't make the next tour as the setlists get filled with newer material, which is normal for any band. But they know that people on the board love OoS so much, as they've stated in numerous interviews, so rather than having the tracks dissapear without a trace next tour to the rage of Hipbones, Dee and Sippe (love you guys really :p) they're giving them one last go, which to me is quite cool.

I know they briefly mentioned new songs in the NME interview, and although that is probably really unlikely to actually happen, would be interesting to see what they come up with since they're being all inspired by OoS and the rockier shows

EDIT: Whoa IKEA do meatballs? Where have they been my whole life

Yes it made sense. It's kinda like what the Fooies are doing right now (only slightly... I know I'm gonna get blasted for that).... they went back to basics, and no one put up a fuss. They got to a certain point in their career, and said now what? The difference with Muse, is they didn't really start out in a garage in the same way as the Foos, so their "now what" will be different than other bands. Lets face it, the newer the songs, the more stadium written they seem to be. If thats the gigs they're playing to, why would they play a bunch of smaller sounding songs? It's Muse remember! They LOVE stadiums! And what a better way to honour a fan-loved album than to play it at a massive festival, where it will sound best and pay the most possible respect to that piece of work. It wouldn't quite fit in a stadium, and a festival is raw and roudy, exciting, open and still has plenty of people to reach. Although so many fans are upset, (believe me, I'm not thrilled I'm missing this show), I still think its one of the best ways to pay proper tribute to the album AND allow them to move on. It was one of the harder, but probably better decisions they had to make. At this point in their career, all they have to do is flinch at something and half the fan base is all up in arms. Its simply unavoidable.

And just because Matt says some may never be played again, it doesn't mean the whole album... I mean, that's pretty much happened to some songs already!

What do people have against CoD? It's brilliant!

I like it...especially when they have the trumpet with them live!

It's possibly one of my favourite songs from that album as I generally don't like the singles on that album.

Also I think there's a bot in this thread! Will clear that up now.

Lol, how did we get to City of Delusion?

It's one of their best songs, imo - just awesome on every level! :D It sounds like one of those that they couldn't possibly pull off live, but they do it brilliantly. I'm glad I got to see it at Wembley 07, cos it wasn't a regular in the BH&R tour. I doubt very, very much it'll make an appearance at the R&L gigs, but there's a stupidly optimistic part of me that hopes they'll pull it out at some point in the distant future. It's too good to ignore :(

Lol, how did we get to City of Delusion?

It's one of their best songs, imo - just awesome on every level! :D It sounds like one of those that they couldn't possibly pull off live, but they do it brilliantly. I'm glad I got to see it at Wembley 07, cos it wasn't a regular in the BH&R tour. I doubt very, very much it'll make an appearance at the R&L gigs, but there's a stupidly optimistic part of me that hopes they'll pull it out at some point in the distant future. It's too good to ignore :(

They can't possibly play it, it doesn't get the crowd singing along or clapping.

That's Muse for you :rolleyes:

But can you blame them? I know I don't care what song is on, I'd be going nuts for any song, but they're gonna play the ones that the crowd seem to respond to. That's why they do this 'job', so why not make the most of it? But CoD is a brilliant song, mind you.

Sorry, I'm done semi-arguing.

But can you blame them? I know I don't care what song is on, I'd be going nuts for any song, but they're gonna play the ones that the crowd seem to respond to. That's why they do this 'job', so why not make the most of it? But CoD is a brilliant song, mind you.

Sorry, I'm done semi-arguing.

It's the whole idea that a gig is judged by how much they are clapping. By the definition that I mentioned in my earlier post, it's impossible to enjoy songs like Ruled By Secrecy.

If a song is good, you don't need fancy lights, great sing alongs or getting the crowd to clap along all the time.

If a song is good, you don't need fancy lights, great sing alongs or getting the crowd to clap along all the time.

What's the problem in having a good visual show and the crowd involved with it?. If I remember correctly when they played Ruled by Secrecy, people were all excited because they were using the same visuals they used for the Absolution Tour. So people give the visuals more importance than they want to recognize :p

What's the problem in having a good visual show and the crowd involved with it?. If I remember correctly when they played Ruled by Secrecy, people were all excited because they were using the same visuals they used for the Absolution Tour. So people give the visuals more importance than they want to recognize :p

Who said there was a problem with it?

Oh right, so you don't know.

It would be weird for me to say there was a problem with a good light show, since it can really set a mood. All I am saying is that the music is what's important. If Muse can't play songs because of the lights(which we now know is bullshit), that means that they think lights are more important than the music. THAT is the problem, it has nothing to do with the lights themselves.

Oh right, so you don't know.

Oh please, you've been complaining about it the whole tour :LOL:

It would be weird for me to say there was a problem with a good light show, since it can really set a mood. All I am saying is that the music is what's important. If Muse can't play songs because of the lights(which we now know is bullshit), that means that they think lights are more important than the music. THAT is the problem, it has nothing to do with the lights themselves.

When did Muse say they can't play X song because of the lights?

When did Muse say they can't play X song because of the lights?

They did mention somewhere that the stage setup and lighting restricted their setlist.

Which, of course, is complete bullshit if you ask the people who went to Brisbane 2.

Archived