Interpreting muse, an opportunity to help me with my homework

greater_of_two_evils

So anyway for my sign language interpreting course we have to sign sing a song (try saying that really fast repeatedly...)

So anywho, I'm leaning towards doing uprising. It's not going to be easy, that "If you could flick a switch and open your third eye, You'd see that we should never be afraid to die" part has me a bit stuck... so does the "interchanging mind control" line

The first is just damn hard to translate, the later part just sticks out to me as a bit random, the rest of it flows and links with the rest. Quite hard to interpret as well.

Anyway, I can't really ask you guys for too much help, t'would be cheating, but I can ask for

a) links to members of muse discussing the lyrics and what it means to them? This would be the most useful.

b) your thoughts on the overall meaning of the song. There are 4 main levels of meaning, looking at the individual words is useless when it comes to translating, you go for the phrase or sentence meanings, what that string of words together means, but there is also the paragraph/whole text level, the meaning of the whole text.

How would you (succinctly) say 'they'? I was tempted to just go for 'the government' but that's not quite right is it? It's also the large corporations with whom they are in cahoots, the ruling elite as a whole. That's how I see it anyway.

Also, some context with the 'green belts'? It's a term for areas of land designated to nature and whatnot, stopping outward expansion of buildings right? I'm from aus, it now takes hours to cross my city, and new home-buyers are forced ever further away from anything useful, some upper limit on how big this place will get sounds like a good idea to me, its a big issue over there? Another tough lyric...

The first step to translating it (it's what I do anyway) will be to ensure that I fully understand everything in English, and could reword it so that it would retain it original meaning, I'm not yet at that stage, as you can see. I could of course do a superficial word for word translation (at the parts giving me a headache) but its a cop out, and a D for that segment, at best.

Hmm, seems I ended up asking you for a lot of help anyway =P

LETS DISSECT THOSE LYRICS!!!! WOO!!!

The paranoia is in bloom,

The PR transmissions will resume,

They'll try to push drugs to keep us all dumbed down,

And hope that we will never see the truth around,

SO COME ON!

Another promise, another seed,

Another packaged lie to keep us trapped in greed,

With all the green belts wrapped around our minds,

And endless red tape to keep the truth confined,

SO COME ON!

They will not force us,

They will stop degrading us,

They will not control us,

And we will be victorious!

SO COME ON!

Interchanging mind-control,

Come, let the revolution take its toll,

If you could flick a switch and open your third eye,

You'd see that we should never be afraid to die,

SO COME ON!

Rise up and take the power back,

It's time that the fat cats had a heart attack,

You know that their time's coming to an end,

We have to unify and watch our flag ascend!

SO COME ON!

They will not force us,

SO COME ON!

OI OI OI OI OI

They will not force us,

SO COME ON!