I have been away from this thread for a few days, and wow! When I first opened this thread, I was curious about Matt being a creative genious. Perhaps genious might be a strong word. My main point was that Matt Bellamy probably has the most to do with the band's output, and to me, it is very creative. He uses interesting devices in his music, and blends lots of influences together to create his own music. That tells me he is very scholarly about music composition. It also tells me that while many other musicians posess the ability to combine these influences into their own product, I think only some do it well.

For instance, Pink Floyd and the Beatles come to mind as bands with musical geniouses. Matt Bellamy is not the only genious musician in the world, but I would argue that he may be one of a few. When you consider the number of bands in the world, the percentage of genious musicians is quite small, minute even.

As far as Muse being popular because of writing music for soundtracks, or trying to appeal to the masses, who cares!!! As a musician myself, I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to earn a living doing what they love. The Showbiz, Origen of Symmetry years have some really unique compositions in them. I would not call them mainstream, but amazing all the same. But I am sure that if their music hadn't evolved the way it has, they would not be able to support themselves they way they do now. While the newer albums might be more mainstream, they also have some incredible music on them. When you have that kind of talent, it cannot be squashed.

Even as a trained musician/educator, I don't think I could be able to produce the same kind of output he does. It is not my area of expertise. I think that is why I admire his ability so much.

I am clearly not a "genious" because I don't think I even spell the word correctly. I just admire those who seem to be!!!!

I am clearly not a "genious" because I don't think I even spell the word correctly. I just admire those who seem to be!!!!

:LOL: nice one

I have been away from this thread for a few days, and wow! When I first opened this thread, I was curious about Matt being a creative genious. Perhaps genious might be a strong word. My main point was that Matt Bellamy probably has the most to do with the band's output, and to me, it is very creative. He uses interesting devices in his music, and blends lots of influences together to create his own music. That tells me he is very scholarly about music composition. It also tells me that while many other musicians posess the ability to combine these influences into their own product, I think only some do it well.

For instance, Pink Floyd and the Beatles come to mind as bands with musical geniouses. Matt Bellamy is not the only genious musician in the world, but I would argue that he may be one of a few. When you consider the number of bands in the world, the percentage of genious musicians is quite small, minute even.

As far as Muse being popular because of writing music for soundtracks, or trying to appeal to the masses, who cares!!! As a musician myself, I can appreciate the fact that they are trying to earn a living doing what they love. The Showbiz, Origen of Symmetry years have some really unique compositions in them. I would not call them mainstream, but amazing all the same. But I am sure that if their music hadn't evolved the way it has, they would not be able to support themselves they way they do now. While the newer albums might be more mainstream, they also have some incredible music on them. When you have that kind of talent, it cannot be squashed.

Even as a trained musician/educator, I don't think I could be able to produce the same kind of output he does. It is not my area of expertise. I think that is why I admire his ability so much.

I'm not sure what points you are getting to. Matt is creative, yes. But what do you(or anyone of us) actually know about genius musicians? Most musicians never reach the bigger audience, so I don't think it's fair for anyone of us to say how many there are out there judging by what we've heard on the radio.

I may have missed something in this thread, but I can't recall that anyone actually complained or looked down on the mainstream factor. We are just saying that being popular doesn't make you better.

:LOL: nice one

I'm not sure what points you are getting to. Matt is creative, yes. But what do you(or anyone of us) actually know about genius musicians? Most musicians never reach the bigger audience, so I don't think it's fair for anyone of us to say how many there are out there judging by what we've heard on the radio.

I may have missed something in this thread, but I can't recall that anyone actually complained or looked down on the mainstream factor. We are just saying that being popular doesn't make you better.

Maybe nobody complained about the mainstream factor. As I said I have been away and read through the responses very quickly...there are tons!

As far as what I know about genius musicians, it would seem to be what I know about music history. Mozart, Beethoven and other "classic masters" come to mind, because of their ability to take current music of their time, and transform it into a new style. Bach's fugues are another example of genius writing, very complex and in my opinion, perfect. More currently would be the Beatles example I spoke of before. I seem to lock Matt Bellamy into this "genius" category, because he takes the influences of his time and changes it successfully. Other musicians may attempt to do this as well, but he has done it with larger success than many. And I am referring to him personally, since I believe he is the big driving force behind Muse. Dom and Chris are great, and all, but I am speaking only of Matt.

Maybe nobody complained about the mainstream factor. As I said I have been away and read through the responses very quickly...there are tons!

As far as what I know about genius musicians, it would seem to be what I know about music history. Mozart, Beethoven and other "classic masters" come to mind, because of their ability to take current music of their time, and transform it into a new style. Bach's fugues are another example of genius writing, very complex and in my opinion, perfect. More currently would be the Beatles example I spoke of before. I seem to lock Matt Bellamy into this "genius" category, because he takes the influences of his time and changes it successfully. Other musicians may attempt to do this as well, but he has done it with larger success than many. And I am referring to him personally, since I believe he is the big driving force behind Muse. Dom and Chris are great, and all, but I am speaking only of Matt.

Yes, but my point was that success and fame is not a way to judge an artist. I'm sure that we have a lot of more talented people than Justin Bieber around, but that isn't exactly what matters when it comes to popularity.

Making genius music doesn't make you famous, making catchy and easy listened music does.

"Matt Bellamy is not the only genious musician in the world, but I would argue that he may be one of a few. When you consider the number of bands in the world, the percentage of genious musicians is quite small, minute even."

Is what I am referring to. Unless you know every band out there, I say that there is a very big amount of equally musically talented people out there.

"Someone has done something I like, therefore that person must be a genius regardless of how much knowledge I have on the subject."

That appears to be the definition of "genius".

I used to think (when I was first becoming aware of the meanings of words) that you could only be considered a genius if you were dead and enough years had passed so that people could look at your work objectively without having known you while you were active.

But what you've said seems to be what most people go for...guess I'm just too traditional in demanding that a genius die first :LOL:

He's just a guy talking into a microphone with autotune who thinks he's a somebody.

Kanye west was actually not famous for quite a while, was doing quite a lot of stuff behind the scenes and providing beats for a lot of big artists until he made a solo career, 6 years later. Producing for rappers all over town, you may know one of these artists called 'Jay Z'??? No? He had an album called Blueprint? No?

Let's see you do that in the music industry....*lights cigarette*

We're all waiting.

someone who can't sing, though sings and gets paid for it, that is genius. Someone who can sing, and sings and gets paid for it, that is just typical. So although I don't like Kanye west much as a person, he's been more successful BEFORE HE WAS EVEN KNOWN to the general public than Muse will ever be in the USA

:)

I think 'genius' is an arbitrary term, or at least it's become that way - and that's not a bad thing. It can be personal - to many Musers, Matt/the band have a creative 'genius' through their music. Just cos they're not scientists/professors/philosophers, doesn't mean people can't consider them as geniuses, musically or otherwise.

Matt's got such a vast musical scope, in every sense, that I don't blame anyone for throwing around that word. It's a matter of opinion, really. I think Matt's more of a wizard than a genius, haha... he's got such depth and prowess that seeps into their songs and seems so effortless. He's a guitarist/ singer/ composer/ songwriter/ pianist/ producer... even a visual 'director' with his ideas for staging. I know that can be said about many people, but that's why I think it's arbitrary: Matt stands out compared to the others, imo. That's just part of my interest in the band and Matt's talent/super skillz!

I think 'genius' is an arbitrary term, or at least it's become that way - and that's not a bad thing. It can be personal - to many Musers, Matt/the band have a creative 'genius' through their music. Just cos they're not scientists/professors/philosophers, doesn't mean people can't consider them as geniuses, musically or otherwise.

Matt's got such a vast musical scope, in every sense, that I don't blame anyone for throwing around that word. It's a matter of opinion, really. I think Matt's more of a wizard than a genius, haha... he's got such depth and prowess that seeps into their songs and seems so effortless. He's a guitarist/ singer/ composer/ songwriter/ pianist/ producer... even a visual 'director' with his ideas for staging. I know that can be said about many people, but that's why I think it's arbitrary: Matt stands out compared to the others, imo. That's just part of my interest in the band and Matt's talent/super skillz!

I like your post. :) It refers back to what I was saying about the depth in the songs and it's encouraging - you remind us how widely he has applied his skills. I think it's a bit of a shame that this thread has degenerated into an argument regarding definition and language. I think Matt stands out too. :happy:

I have nothing against giving Matt credit for what he as done and respect him for his song-writing and playing.

But I just don't like that people seem to assume that just because they can't find anyone as talented in popular music, it doesn't exist, or is rare.

Looking for talent in popular music is doomed to fail.

I also like what you wrote. I would like to change the title of this thread "matt bellamy, creative wizard". It sort of encompasses what I think about his work as well. Well put!

I like your post. :) It refers back to what I was saying about the depth in the songs and it's encouraging - you remind us how widely he has applied his skills. I think it's a bit of a shame that this thread has degenerated into an argument regarding definition and language. I think Matt stands out too. :happy:

I also like what you wrote. I would like to change the title of this thread "matt bellamy, creative wizard". It sort of encompasses what I think about his work as well. Well put!

Cheers :)

Archived