Brit Nominations 2011

Green Mamba

Ok, you don't like metallica (you've clearly never heard them in that case :p) but I don't get how anyone can say that about Muse. If ever there was a band that introduced different styles on virtually every song, then that band is Muse (it's something they get a lot of stick for on this board, incoherent albums that don't blend yadda yadda yadda).

Ok' date=' you don't like metallica (you've clearly never heard them in that case :p) but I don't get how anyone can say that about Muse. If ever there was a band that introduced different styles on virtually every song, then that band is Muse (it's something they get a lot of stick for on this board, incoherent albums that don't blend yadda yadda yadda).[/quote']

I have listened to random songs and the whole of Master of Puppets several times. But the point is that I don't really know that band, so obviously the songs are gonna sound very alike to me, since I haven't had time to notice the differences and they usually share a style.

I know, but some of the material confuses people, Starlight, SMBH, MOTP, TIRO and Hysteria are some of the songs people who don't know them usually get mixed up.

Yeah... So were Muse nominated for anything in the end?

No.

Regarding the discussion about samey songs by one band, I'm with Sippe. People who don't like my fave bands keep on telling me that. It's just normal, every band has a certain style, the singer has his voice which is just his voice, logical and not really rocket science. Bands I don't really care about sound samey to me as well. But Metallica do have great songs, how can you not love Enter Sandman???

^The words of any person talking about anything in music they don't like.

"I don't like *insert random band that you don't know anything about*, all their songs sounds the same"

I agree with you, people who don't know a band and don't like them will think that everything sounds the same and I agree that this is an annoying statement as people have told me several times that the bands I like do all sound the same and I always argue against them. However, some bands, very few but I think the XX may be one of them, do just have a very distinct sound that barely varies from song to song. (I think some bands are prisoners to their genre really and get trapped by this, but that just my random opinion)

You can't say that people who make this statement know nothing because, whilst sometimes they are just ignorant, some people actually do take the time to listen to the album a few times before making this judgment. So I'm sure if you are a dedicated fan you can tell the minute differences between each song but for now I stick by my statement, and you can't judge me for saying it because you admitted yourself that you think all of Metallica's stuff sounds that same

No.

Regarding the discussion about samey songs by one band, I'm with Sippe. People who don't like my fave bands keep on telling me that. It's just normal, every band has a certain style, the singer has his voice which is just his voice, logical and not really rocket science. Bands I don't really care about sound samey to me as well. But Metallica do have great songs, how can you not love Enter Sandman???

Yeah, I know he was right, in general. But some bands make music that doesn't all sound the same, even to the casual listener.

Yeah' date=' I know he was right, in general. But some bands make music that doesn't all sound the same, even to the casual listener.[/quote']

Depends on what exactly "doesn't sound all the same" means. I'd be the first to admit that my fave bands do have a certain basic style they stick to and that I'll recognise a new song immediately. But I'd still say that their songs do not all sound the same to me, they may be similar in song structure, guitar style, vocal style, though. That might be "samey" for the casual listener who doesn't like respective band. Difficult. I can't think of any band who could be an exception here, not even Radiohead, Thom Yorke's voice/vocal style always sounds the same to me, no matter if they replace guitars with electronics or whatever.

Depends on what exactly "doesn't sound all the same" means. I'd be the first to admit that my fave bands do have a certain basic style they stick to and that I'll recognise a new song immediately. But I'd still say that their songs do not all sound the same to me, they may be similar in song structure, guitar style, vocal style, though. That might be "samey" for the casual listener who doesn't like respective band. Difficult. I can't think of any band who could be an exception here, not even Radiohead, Thom Yorke's voice/vocal style always sounds the same to me, no matter if they replace guitars with electronics or whatever.

I meant at first, when you've only just heard a new band's album and it can be hard to distinguish one song from another. The differences emerge as you get to know the album better. With The xx it's still hard to distinguish one song from another :LOL:

I meant at first' date=' when you've only just heard a new band's album and it can be hard to distinguish one song from another. The differences emerge as you get to know the album better. With The xx it's still hard to distinguish one song from another :LOL:[/quote']

I can tell them apart quite easily :phu:

I can tell them apart quite easily :phu:

Just by the breaks between the songs?:D

No, ok, yes. What were we on about again? Alright, good bands - not samey. I still think, it's down to taste in music. Madonna's a good example. Her 80s songs all sound the same. But I have a soft spot for them, so I can really tell them apart. Took me a few listens to her Greatest Hits, though.;)

No, ok, yes. What were we on about again? Alright, good bands - not samey. I still think, it's down to taste in music. Madonna's a good example. Her 80s songs all sound the same. But I have a soft spot for them, so I can really tell them apart. Took me a few listens to her Greatest Hits, though.;)

:pope:

Well, doesn't really have to be GOOD music(music that you like), just music that you have heard enough to notice the differences. Not many people can remember that much after a first listen of a song. At least that's what I think.

I don't like Metallica, but I'm sure I would be able to tell the songs apart if I listened a few times, same with a band like The Horrors who has got a lot of criticism for sounding the same all the time.

^The words of any person talking about anything in music they don't like.

"I don't like *insert random band that you don't know anything about*, all their songs sounds the same"

Having had to endure several live sets by The Big Pink I can safely say I do know something about them and I do think all their songs sound very similar.

Status Quo's songs all sound the same too and there surely can't be anyone in the developed world who doesn't know anything about them!:LOL:

Archived