There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you know what the limitations of your monitoring set up are, and you check mixes on plenty of systems.

Also, DPTP, are you suggesting that crossovers inhibit frequency response? Your post makes no sense.

EDIT: Unless you meant you'd heard older sony speakers and the crossover are shit

There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you know what the limitations of your monitoring set up are, and you check mixes on plenty of systems.

Also, DPTP, are you suggesting that crossovers inhibit frequency response? Your post makes no sense.

EDIT: Unless you meant you'd heard older sony speakers and the crossover are shit

yes, it are fact i saw it in wikipedia.

no, really, there are no "good" crossovers existing, i've lurked in a lot of speaker building forums, audiophile forums, pc speaker topic etc. and the general consensus was that the less speakers the better. also the shittyness of crossovers make every x.1 system frowned upon, because the sub is like impossible to integrate into a system perfectly. (There always be overlapping frequencies where are both the sub and the satellites working, or if they cut off the sub and the satllites early then there will be a hole around the cut off point.)

(this is kinda easy to see in the cheap computer speaker scene where a two way 40$ genius sound better than like any other stuff out there made by creative, logitech etc.)

(btw i have an old audiophile magazine from around the era where the speakers lookd like that sony, there is a 10 page long article about crossover design, basically shit where fucked those days.)

(essentially a one way speaker would be the best ever but there are not too much full range drivers existing with satisfying low end response)

There is a lot of bollocks spoken about speakers. There are plenty of studios who use subs with their monitoring set up. Every decent full range listening system I've ever seen has more than one size of speaker and a crossover.

Obviously a bad crossover can give you bumps or troughs in the response, but a well designed speaker should have good crossovers in the first place, and would have some sort of compensation built-in.

You might be right, but every pro studio i've ever seen has used monitors with crossovers.

There are some excellent 15" full range drivers around (apparently) but you don't see them in pro studios...?

speaking of speakers, Dad's got a set of old Wharfdale speakers he got from an old friend who used to be a radio DJ. They're massive, and very loud. Connected up to a turntable and a hifi amp. White Stripes on Vinyl never sounded so good.

Cant say I know much about speakers and stuff but the set ive got connected to my hi fi thingy majig and turntable look like they fit about 3 speakers in them? :LOL:

Surely if youre happy with your sound that's all that matters...

plus like it was said - Speakers > headphones... :)

There is a lot of bollocks spoken about speakers. There are plenty of studios who use subs with their monitoring set up. Every decent full range listening system I've ever seen has more than one size of speaker and a crossover.

Obviously a bad crossover can give you bumps or troughs in the response, but a well designed speaker should have good crossovers in the first place, and would have some sort of compensation built-in.

You might be right, but every pro studio i've ever seen has used monitors with crossovers.

There are some excellent 15" full range drivers around (apparently) but you don't see them in pro studios...?

i think there are maybe other important things (i saw an interesting article on soundonsound why is that shitty ass yamaha speaker (it is called yamaha whatever-10, used in the bellamy atombunker studios too) is still used and they said stuff like awesom response time and similar stuff which whre important but was not about freq. response.

So i guess a 15" full range driver would be too slow to deliver the fastest transients and maybe there could be other problems.

Also i think they are mixing with a sub because it appears in a lot of audio systems of the consumers so they gotta check how their stuff sounds on systems with woofers. (clubs, ricer, nigga lowridr cars, hometheaters, 7.1 brootal surround 3dreal orgasm dolbythx systems etc.)

also the ideal system is probably not existing, i see the advice everywhere that you gotta know and trust your own system first before you can make good mixes.

also the ideal system is probably not existing, i see the advice everywhere that you gotta know and trust your own system first before you can make good mixes.

Exactly!

I use a sub because I mix in a very small room, so i'm very close to my monitors (shitty NS-10 copies). It took a while to get used to after switching from just the monitors, but now I rarely end up with sub bass I didn't want, which often used to happen as I couldn't hear it!

it's digital, interestingly enough. BUT, line 6 do digital modelling quite well recently (look at their Pod HD Live stuff, it's really good!). It sounds nice, just what i was looking for. I was planning on putting it before my whammy, right at the start of my chain, but i suspect it could do better else where. Im impressed with it so far anyway!

it's digital, interestingly enough. BUT, line 6 do digital modelling quite well recently (look at their Pod HD Live stuff, it's really good!). It sounds nice, just what i was looking for. I was planning on putting it before my whammy, right at the start of my chain, but i suspect it could do better else where. Im impressed with it so far anyway!

I was just wondering how you actually control the attack/release/threshold/ratio etc.

I suppose if it sounds OK as is that's all that matters.

Well the way i have it right now, after spending a little time with it, is level at ~40%, Sustain at ~40%, gate at about 10%, and dynamics on squeeze. just makes it sound nice and rich and balanced. I mainly wanted it to try to sort out the glitchyness with the whammy, but if it gives me moar toans, then that's a plus. I wasn't necessarily looking to be able to control all the intricacies, just looking for something to do the job like.

suits me fine. for €30, i'm not complaining.

I was just wondering how you actually control the attack/release/threshold/ratio etc.

I suppose if it sounds OK as is that's all that matters.

Since when did guitar compressors have actual compressor settings beyond threshold and output? :LOL:

Since when did guitar compressors have actual compressor settings beyond threshold and output? :LOL:

Orange Squeezer is the most brutal with having an on/off switch only. But the guys tweaked that one pretty good, for example Mark Knoplfer used it all the time for the first Dire Straits album.

on the other hand this looks pretty good, (attack, tresh, release, ratio, gain controls) there is a good chance that this will be my next build:

compressorschem.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived