When did Matt take singing lessons?

Plex

That's just paraphrasing his argument, saying basically we can't know. The "was" was meant with emphasis. But anyway I'm outta here, I know you will come up with another comeback as you like to have the last word! ;)

Goddamn you.

If I respond to this, you win. If I don't respond, it will look like I did it just to prove you wrong :(

Since the question has pretty much gotten the best answer it can get, why not make this a thread about Matts voice/vocals instead? :awesome:

I'm up for that! :D So what is everyones fav vocal performance from Matt?

I don't really know much about vocals and things like that, but i love the way he sings City of Delusion, Fury and Megalomania. Starlight (preferably in it's original key) has such a great vocal too.

Ones I enjoy the vocal particularly, off the top of my head: Sing for Absolution, Undisclosed Desires, Neutron Star Collison, I Belong to You, Map of Your Head, Shine Acoustic, Unnatural Selection, Overture, Endlessly. I'm sure there's more.

PS I haven't heard this one before I don't think, Time is Running out without electric guitars, shows Matt's voice off.

Ones I enjoy the vocal particularly, off the top of my head: Sing for Absolution, Undisclosed Desires, Neutron Star Collison, I Belong to You, Map of Your Head, Shine Acoustic, Unnatural Selection, Overture, Endlessly. I'm sure there's more.

PS I haven't heard this one before I don't think, Time is Running out without electric guitars, shows Matt's voice off.

Acoustic version is awesome when you want to hear the voice more. It sounds so much better.

Oh, and yes, Dead Star is amazing too.

Sing for Absolution, City of Delusion, Apocalypse please, The Groove, Nature_1, Dead Star are a few favourite vocal performances for me (off the top of my head).

Very different in style between Apocalypse Please and Dead Star but both just as powerful as each other.

I agree, and as you already said, Exogenesis, but I like Cross-Pollination over pt.1 and pt.3 :happy:

I Belong To You, especially the French part. I think it's Matt's most tender vocal performance, he really sings his heart out on there.

Also, Hoodoo and Exogenesis.

Mmm yes, especially the line at the end of the French segment: 'I belong to youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuaaaaaaaaaaaaaaloooooooneeeee'... one of my very favourite bits of his singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unh3qDN2GpM

A great example of a great singer, that really strains his voice during his high notes, more than Matt would ever have to do in for example City of Delusion. Still he does this concert after concert, in several songs. That is just the way his voice is. It can take a beating and is made of fucking steel.

(In the ending scream)

Both sound fantastic :supersad::awesome:

Especially Redemption for me :p

This. Megalomania, Fury, City of Delusion and Sing for Absolution (acoustic) as well. Wait, forgot Hysteria :awesome:

But IMO his voice sounds live much better :happy:

Btw Spectrum IV, you seem to know your stuff. In The Groove Matt reaches a D#5 in the "WHOAH!" part at around 1:53. Can you tell if it's in full voice?

Sippe,

Hrm... "full voice" could mean a number of different things depending on who you ask. The most popular definition is the modal register, and technically, Matt's using a very constricted modal register. But for me personally, full voice is reserved for sounds that are controlled, unconstricted and can be reproduced without too much effort.

Anyway, perhaps I should say some nice things about Matt, since my posts in this thread have been mostly demeaning. :LOL:

Regardless of his technique, I love Matt's voice. His falsetto goes without saying, but what I really like are the long high notes, i.e. Cave, CoD, SFA. Those notes would be a breeze for Chris, but it's the apparent difficulty of the note, and the amount of energy and emotion Matt pours into it, which makes it stand out.

Sippe,

Hrm... "full voice" could mean a number of different things depending on who you ask. The most popular definition is the modal register, and technically, Matt's using a very constricted modal register. But for me personally, full voice is reserved for sounds that are controlled, unconstricted and can be reproduced without too much effort.

Anyway, perhaps I should say some nice things about Matt, since my posts in this thread have been mostly demeaning. :LOL:

Regardless of his technique, I love Matt's voice. His falsetto goes without saying, but what I really like are the long high notes, i.e. Cave, CoD, SFA. Those notes would be a breeze for Chris, but it's the apparent difficulty of the note, and the amount of energy and emotion Matt pours into it, which makes it stand out.

Yes, I was talking about the modal register. For me, constriction doesn't matter. If you can produce a note and hold it, that does it for me. Though, I doubt that Matt could hold that note for much longer than he did.

Archived