When did Matt take singing lessons?

Plex

I prefer the sound his voice had in 2003-2005, but he is definitely developing. And I don't doubt that he will surprise us with his vocals in the future. NSC was actually a big surprise for me. The singing in the chorus sounds amazing.

One of the few, very few, good things about NSC.

I think Matt has a spectacular voice. It's the main reason I love Muse so much, but not by any means the only reason.

I would probably never have become such a big fan of Muse if it weren't for his voice. His voice has been amazing on all the albums up to TR for me.

TR has Redemption and IBTY, the rest just doesn't interest me besides a few lines here and there.

Prague is a lot more interesting vocally than anything on TR :p

Personally I think his voice is better on The Resistance than any of the other albums. I always think they were pretty lucky since Matt never set out to sing which, to me, makes it an even greater achievement that his voice is so enjoyable to listen to.

Exactly what makes it a great achievement?

He has a talent for it, it's not like he had to work hard to be able to sing well.

Yeah his voice sounded great on NSC :)

I'd like him to have lessons to work on his upper range too, it annoys me a little when he skips the top notes in songs like Feeling Good, Ruled By Secrecy and Sing For Absolution, i'm sure he could do them live if he had a little training. I heard a version of City of Delusion from a few years back where he held the chorus note like on the album version and it sounded brilliant, but he seemed knackered afterwards! :LOL:

Yeah his voice sounded great on NSC :)

I'd like him to have lessons to work on his upper range too, it annoys me a little when he skips the top notes in songs like Feeling Good, Ruled By Secrecy and Sing For Absolution, i'm sure he could do them live if he had a little training. I heard a version of City of Delusion from a few years back where he held the chorus note like on the album version and it sounded brilliant, but he seemed knackered afterwards! :LOL:

He always does the high notes in Ruled By Secrecy.

And tbh, it's understandable that he can't do the high notes in those songs. They are all on the top of his chest register. All the training in the world won't change that. Matt's voice just isn't strong enough to keep doing things like that night after night. You need vocal chords of steel, like Jimmy Gnecco :p

Exactly what makes it a great achievement?

He has a talent for it, it's not like he had to work hard to be able to sing well.

Well what I mean is that he didn't set out to be a singer. I suppose it's more luck than achievement though he has developed it, that's the point.

It's still a bit special I think to have such a lovely voice (imo) as well as play guitar and piano. I wouldn't have said that as much before the latest album, I would have said he had a good rock voice, but partly I've taken more notice and partly, I think he has developed his voice to the point that he could get away with only being a vocalist now, though of course he has no need.

Well what I mean is that he didn't set out to be a singer. I suppose it's more luck than achievement though he has developed it, that's the point.

It's still a bit special I think to have such a lovely voice (imo) as well as play guitar and piano. I wouldn't have said that as much before the latest album, I would have said he had a good rock voice, but partly I've taken more notice and partly, I think he has developed his voice to the point that he could get away with only being a vocalist now, though of course he has no need.

Well, the development is both how he has treated it and trained it, but the tone that many people find a lot better on TR is mostly just because of age.

I understand your point, but I still don't see it as any different from any other band singer who at some point must have realized that they could sing.

Well, the development is both how he has treated it and trained it, but the tone that many people find a lot better on TR is mostly just because of age.

I understand your point, but I still don't see it as any different from any other band singer who at some point must have realized that they could sing.

Lots of bands have a separate singer, guitarist and pianist. Matt does all three, with some help from Morgan nowadays of course.

The point is that he became the singer by default, because no one else would do it and yet he's now experimenting with opera, trying to replicate a soprano etc.

Course if he had been crap we might never have heard of Muse but I still think it's an accomplishment.

Lots of bands have a separate singer, guitarist and pianist. Matt does all three, with some help from Morgan nowadays of course.

The point is that he became the singer by default, because no one else would do it and yet he's now experimenting with opera, trying to replicate a soprano etc.

Course if he had been crap we might never have heard of Muse but I still think it's an accomplishment.

He got pushed into the singer role, and turned out to have a good voice. He didn't get pushed into it and practiced to get a good voice, which is why I don't consider it an achievement. More luck than anything.

I have never said Matt wasn't talented. Matt is unique in that he is good/great at all three of those(singing, piano and guitar playing)

He always does the high notes in Ruled By Secrecy.

I mean the 'and no-ONNNEEE' (as you can tell i'm not very good at identifying notes :p) note in the last chorus, never seen him sing that in chest voice. He doesn't sing that bit like on the album.

I guess you're right though, singing notes like that night after night would probably just wreck his voice. One thing that's really impressed me is how well he help up this tour, he sounded strong throughout the entire tour imo. Plus i like the little changes he made to the falsetto parts in Knights of Cydonia.

I mean the 'and no-ONNNEEE' (as you can tell i'm not very good at identifying notes :p) note in the last chorus, never seen him sing that in chest voice. He doesn't sing that bit like on the album.

I guess you're right though, singing notes like that night after night would probably just wreck his voice. One thing that's really impressed me is how well he help up this tour, he sounded strong throughout the entire tour imo. Plus i like the little changes he made to the falsetto parts in Knights of Cydonia.

Oh goddamn! I've never actually noticed that. I thought it was how the studio version sounded :p My bad.

But yeah, I'd rather have that than having Matt lose his voice in the next 5 years :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unh3qDN2GpM

A great example of a great singer, that really strains his voice during his high notes, more than Matt would ever have to do in for example City of Delusion. Still he does this concert after concert, in several songs. That is just the way his voice is. It can take a beating and is made of fucking steel.

(In the ending scream)

I agree it's incredibly lucky (for us) that he got pushed into being the singer. It's hard to believe that he didn't want to do it/didn't think he had a good enough voice.

I disagree that his voice is better now than it was. His voice on TR doesn't blow me away the way it does on, say, Absolution. There isn't that wow factor on most of TR.

He got pushed into the singer role, and turned out to have a good voice. He didn't get pushed into it and practiced to get a good voice, which is why I don't consider it an achievement. More luck than anything.

I have never said Matt wasn't talented. Matt is unique in that he is good/great at all three of those(singing, piano and guitar playing)

Well the fact that he managed to get over the initial lack of confidence when he apparently mumbled his way through the set, was an achievement. The fact that his voice turned out to be so good is lucky I agree, but I also agree that there's definitely something special about being able to do all three and for that reason, and because I realise that Matt is a vocalist by default, I don't expect him to get every single note. Though he does most, I forgive the occasional trickery. :chuckle:. He also makes up for it with such a beautiful vocal tone.

Well the fact that he managed to get over the initial lack of confidence when he apparently mumbled his way through the set, was an achievement. The fact that his voice turned out to be so good is lucky I agree, but I also agree that there's definitely something special about being able to do all three and for that reason, and because I realise that Matt is a vocalist by default, I don't expect him to get every single note. Though he does most, I forgive the occasional trickery. :chuckle:. He also makes up for it with such a beautiful vocal tone.

Well, most people treat him like the one of the best singers in the world, and therefore he should also be judged as one. That he never intended to be a singer doesn't change the fact that he IS one. It's not like he has that role in Muse today because they can't get a real singer to join the band.

Personally I think his voice is better on The Resistance than any of the other albums. I always think they were pretty lucky since Matt never set out to sing which, to me, makes it an even greater achievement that his voice is so enjoyable to listen to.

Yeah I agree.

People keep forgetting he relied heavily on vocal filters pre-2006.

Also you can tell by his posture during the falsetto parts of CE he's straining his voice

Yeah I agree.

People keep forgetting he relied heavily on vocal filters pre-2006.

Also you can tell by his posture during the falsetto parts of CE he's straining his voice

Very true. But we aren't saying that "this was his best vocal period", we are just stating that this is when it sounded the best to us, which is why it doesn't really matter what effects or filters he is using. Just as a solo doesn't get worse just because he uses his pedals, or music because it uses any effects at all really.

Well, most people treat him like the one of the best singers in the world, and therefore he should also be judged as one. That he never intended to be a singer doesn't change the fact that he IS one. It's not like he has that role in Muse today because they can't get a real singer to join the band.

I don't think he is one of the best singers in the world, technically, but I think he's a good singer and I personally love his voice and I would hate them to get a replacement, not that they have any need to.

Some bands recruit singers, Muse never did, they were just friends, and for three friends who just thought they'd start a band to get girls, they haven't done too bad! :LOL: I think that's one of their strengths.:)

Muse aren't a piecemeal putting together of various talents and I don't think they can be viewed in that context.

I don't think he is one of the best singers in the world, technically, but I think he's a good singer and I personally love his voice and I would hate them to get a replacement, not that they have any need to.

Some bands recruit singers, Muse never did, they were just friends, and for three friends who just thought they'd start a band to get girls, they haven't done too bad! :LOL: I think that's one of their strengths.:)

I never said anything about technique :p

Matt is a singer because he sings. He isn't a stand in singer anymore. He is the bands first choice and sings in all of the songs. It would be silly to consider him as anything other than a real singer. He can't be judged as if he was still the person who never intended to be a singer.

I never said anything about technique :p

Matt is a singer because he sings. He isn't a stand in singer anymore. He is the bands first choice and sings in all of the songs. It would be silly to consider him as anything other than a real singer. He can't be judged as if he was still the person who never intended to be a singer.

Well we'll just have to differ on that. He's the band's choice of singer because he's part of the band and no one else has taken a turn. Matt even said he would like Chris to take the lead at times. Whether by luck or hard work I still see the fact that he's so good, without original intention to be a singer, as an achievement.

Well we'll just have to differ on that. He's the band's choice of singer because he's part of the band and no one else has taken a turn. Matt even said he would like Chris to take the lead at times. Whether by luck or hard work I still see the fact that he's so good, without original intention to be a singer, as an achievement.

He has said that he offered Chris to take the lead in a song or two, which doesn't have anything to do with this at all. Any band with several singers has probably done something like that.

And you are still missing the point. Whatever reason he had for becoming the singer, he has now been the first choice for almost 15 years. Wouldn't this make him enough of a singer to be judged as one as well?

Archived