When did Matt take singing lessons?

Plex

Pretty sure Matt hasn't had lessons. His technique has improved over time, but it's hardly amazing. See videos of Dead Star, Stockholm and Take a Bow taken this year... he still constricts for the high notes. The main difference is that his incredible breath support, which usually declines with age, has actually gotten stronger over the years.

Breath support reduces the airflow so that your vocal cords close more gently, but for most people this is a very physically demanding process and needs to be controlled carefully. For Matt it seems to occur by itself, most likely as a result of the tremendous energy he usually gives. I can definitely hear a decline in vocal quality when he doesn't give an energetic performance.

His performances these days are less energetic because he's spending more energy on support, and not leaving enough to bounce around the stage. /entireforum

This might answer exactly what you are looking for.

http://board.muse.mu/showthread.php?t=60680

:LOL: My god that thread is full of shit.

People actually believe that by taking vocal lessons, you lose your identity and automatically becomes a product of the pop industry.

Anyone who has seen the early Bliss performances should agree that Matt could have done a lot differently to save his voice, without losing his sound. In fact, I think most people here agree that the sound that Matt has during for example Bliss at Bizarre 2000 is NOT pleasant. It actually hurts my throat to even listen to that. :p

But to the point, as it has been said in that thread, he didn't take any proper lessons until BH&R.

:LOL: My god that thread is full of shit.

People actually believe that by taking vocal lessons, you lose your identity and automatically becomes a product of the pop industry.

Anyone who has seen the early Bliss performances should agree that Matt could have done a lot differently to save his voice, without losing his sound. In fact, I think most people here agree that the sound that Matt has during for example Bliss at Bizarre 2000 is NOT pleasant. It actually hurts my throat to even listen to that. :p

But to the point, as it has been said in that thread, he didn't take any proper lessons until BH&R.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Didn't read all of it, only posted it because it was similar to this thread. :LOL: But yeah I agree.

Pretty sure Matt hasn't had lessons. His technique has improved over time, but it's hardly amazing. See videos of Dead Star, Stockholm and Take a Bow taken this year... he still constricts for the high notes. The main difference is that his incredible breath support, which usually declines with age, has actually gotten stronger over the years.

Breath support reduces the airflow so that your vocal cords close more gently, but for most people this is a very physically demanding process and needs to be controlled carefully. For Matt it seems to occur by itself, most likely as a result of the tremendous energy he usually gives. I can definitely hear a decline in vocal quality when he doesn't give an energetic performance.

His performances these days are less energetic because he's spending more energy on support, and not leaving enough to bounce around the stage. /entireforum

thanks for this post. someone who knows what they're talking about :LOL:

for what it's worth, a fan who met him in perth the other day asked him if he had singing lessons before recording TR and he said he didn't.

But like from Showbiz voice to OoS voice? I'm pretty sure that record companys forced Matt to take even some lessons, 'cause that voice hadn't last in gigs, if someone had'nt told Matt how to make it last.

But on the other hand, They had so much gigs in Showbiz times that Matt's voice might develop in that era.

But like from Showbiz voice to OoS voice? I'm pretty sure that record companys forced Matt to take even some lessons, 'cause that voice hadn't last in gigs, if someone had'nt told Matt how to make it last.

But on the other hand, They had so much gigs in Showbiz times that Matt's voice might develop in that era.

What's wrong with the 1999-2000 vocals? It's not like he's destroying his vocal chords by the way he was singing at the time. From what I have seen and heard he didn't strain the vocal chords enough for it to make a big difference.

What's wrong with the 1999-2000 vocals? It's not like he's destroying his vocal chords by the way he was singing at the time. From what I have seen and heard he didn't strain the vocal chords enough for it to make a big difference.

Nothing is wrong with it! i love 1999-2000 vocals, sometimes I even think it's better. But I was saying, that record companys wants that vocalists go to singing lessons, so they don't lost their voice which is their way to make money. My grandpa (knows lots of things about music bussiness) said that it's one of the basic things. They don't care how good your voice is, they just want to make sure that their money don't go if vocalist losts his voice.

Nothing is wrong with it! i love 1999-2000 vocals, sometimes I even think it's better. But I was saying, that record companys wants that vocalists go to singing lessons, so they don't lost their voice which is their way to make money. My grandpa (knows lots of things about music bussiness) said that it's one of the basic things. They don't care how good your voice is, they just want to make sure that their money don't go if vocalist losts his voice.

You misunderstood me. I'm asking what is wrong with his voice that would make him need vocal lessons to keep his voice?

It's not like what he was doing strained his voice. Without straining in the voice, there is no risk of losing the voice too early, therefore no need for a vocal coach.

You misunderstood me. I'm asking what is wrong with his voice that would make him need vocal lessons to keep his voice?

It's not like what he was doing strained his voice.

And you misunderstood me :LOL:

I said that purely in that point that record companys don't care vocalists voices, they just wan't to make sure that never ever their voice goes down, at leats in that period as vocalists are in theis company. It's not my opinion, it's just how i'd understood that companys does.

And you misunderstood me :LOL:

I said that purely in that point that record companys don't care vocalists voices, they just wan't to make sure that never ever their voice goes down, at leats in that period as vocalists are in theis company. It's not my opinion, it's just how i'd understood that companys does.

Did you read what I just said?

The only thing that makes a singer lose his voice too soon that can be prevented is straining. Matt doesn't strain his voice, so there is no problem to be solved to keep his voice. The only problem would be the warm down of the voice, which I'm pretty sure that he has gotten a few tips for.

Matt says himself that he hasn't had any vocal lessons, isn't that enough proof?

The only thing that makes a singer lose his voice too soon that can be prevented is straining. Matt doesn't strain his voice, so there is no problem to be solved to keep his voice. The only problem would be the warm down of the voice, which I'm pretty sure that he has gotten a few tips for.

Matt says himself that he hasn't had any vocal lessons, isn't that enough proof?

If Matt had said it, I believe it. But the point was, that companyes don't care. Usually they just want that vocalists go to lessons.

If Matt had said it, I believe it. But the point was, that companyes don't care. Usually they just want that vocalists go to lessons.

"'cause that voice hadn't last in gigs, if someone had'nt told Matt how to make it last"

Your words. Which simply isn't true.

You need to think more about what you say. "Usually" does not mean "in every case". What record companies usually do doesn't really matter. You need to understand that there is a difference between "They don't care how good your voice is" and "They don't care how good your technique is". It's not the same thing, and there is no reason for them to give vocal lessons to a person who doesn't need it.

it would be completely useless to give him lessons in something that he already knows.

"'cause that voice hadn't last in gigs, if someone had'nt told Matt how to make it last"

Your words. Which simply isn't true.

You need to think more about what you say. "Usually" does not mean "in every case". What record companies usually do doesn't really matter. You need to understand that there is a difference between "They don't care how good your voice is" and "They don't care how good your technique is". It's not the same thing, and there is no reason for them to give vocal lessons to a person who doesn't need it.

it would be completely useless to give him lessons in something that he already knows.

Or meaby, in case if you haven't seen I'm from Finland and i've studied english only 5 years, and meaby my word choices aren't the best ones, 'cause I don't have so much words in my knowledge to choose.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood me, Matt Bellamy is my favourite singer and f course I see him as a genious who can learn everything and be everything, hi is my idol in music, and in everything as well.

I don't know how "meaby" didin't make it way through my bad explanation and i've tried to make you see things as I wanted you to see, but you are just so stuck to that image that I'm an idiot who tryes to unshine Matt's voice and singing and it is not true.

Or meaby, in case if you haven't seen I'm from Finland and i've studied english only 5 years, and meaby my word choices aren't the best ones, 'cause I don't have so much words in my knowledge to choose.

I'm sorry that you misunderstood me, Matt Bellamy is my favourite singer and f course I see him as a genious who can learn everything and be everything, hi is my idol in music, and in everything as well.

I don't know how "meaby" didin't make it way through my bad explanation and i've tried to make you see things as I wanted you to see, but you are just so stuck to that image that I'm an idiot who tryes to unshine Matt's voice and singing and it is not true.

(I have studied English for 5 years too)

What the hell.

1. Matt is NOT a genius. He can not learn everything and be everything. Or was that sarcasm?

2. Stop making stupid assumptions about what I think. We are not talking about Matts voice or vocal ability, neither am I praising Matt Bellamy as some god who can't do wrong. I am simply saying that he sings without dangerous straining, which would make any vocal lessons to prevent dangerous straining useless.

(I have studied English for 5 years too)

What the hell.

1. Matt is NOT a genius. He can not learn everything and be everything. Or was that sarcasm?

2. Stop making stupid assumptions about what I think. We are not talking about Matts voice or vocal ability, neither am I praising Matt Bellamy as some god who can't do wrong. I am simply saying that he sings without dangerous straining, which would make any vocal lessons to prevent dangerous straining useless.

Why are you snapping me then? I've never tried to say with purpose that Matt sings with straining. You just want to pissed of with me, thought I explane that I didin't mean to sound like that, and that my word knowledge is terrible, and I've been brave enough to use english publish juts few weeks ago.

And yes, Matt is genious :phu:

Why are you snapping me then? I've never tried to say with purpose that Matt sings with straining. You just want to pissed of with me, thought I explane that I didin't mean to sound like that, and that my word knowledge is terrible, and I've been brave enough to use english publish juts few weeks ago.

And yes, Matt is genious :phu:

I never claimed that you said he sang with straining...no wait, I am. You did say that he wouldn't be able to sing the way he sang on Showbiz without losing his voice, which isn't true.

But since you now said that it wasn't what you meant, fair enough. But the only thing I have been saying is that there would be no reason for the record company to force Matt to take vocal lessons. And the only reason why I have seem to "snap" at you is because you continue to misunderstand me.

And stop making this about your English. I have no problem with understanding what your're saying.

Can't people ever discuss anything of this board without arguing and sniping at each other!? :LOL:

I thought Matt may have had singing lessons for the latest album as he sounds different, but it seems that he hasn't. Nevertheless I think he sounds the best he ever has. :happy:

So now you believe every word Matt says? :p

I prefer the sound his voice had in 2003-2005, but he is definitely developing. And I don't doubt that he will surprise us with his vocals in the future. NSC was actually a big surprise for me. The singing in the chorus sounds amazing.

Archived