Musecasters Delorean Replica 2010

musecasters

It would only protect it if it were a 100% copy, any change from their claim and you're safe.

Huh? I don't understand what you're saying here or how it relates to what you quoted me on. What's their (Mansons?) claim? Obviously I don't want to derail the thread because any of the legal stuff is all ifs and buts about whether they have actually protected the shape and if they care enough to enforce that protection (my guess is that they haven't because why go to the trouble and expense of registering a trademark if you don't plan on enforcing your rights?) but I'm just curious what you actually mean and where you've heard this.

All we know is:

Hugh and Matt simply have an agreement that Mansons will not custom make a guitar in the Mattocaster shape.

If you put Manson on the headstock, that is a different matter, they could sue then, but other than that, there is absolutely naff all mansons could do.

All we know is

If you put Manson on the headstock, that is a different matter, they could sue then, but other than that, there is absolutely naff all mansons could do.

Basically this.

what i was saying is, if you made a Manson inspired guitar (with the shape slightly off or for personal use only) its legal, that what I grasp anyway, If I am wrong (Which in hindsight I think I am), I apologise.

Edit: I was thinking about the trademark, not copyright.

Basically this.

what i was saying is, if you made a Manson inspired guitar (with the shape slightly off or for personal use only) its legal, that what I grasp anyway, If I am wrong (Which in hindsight I think I am), I apologise.

Edit: I was thinking about the trademark, not copyright.

as far as i'm aware it's not a problem to make them exact, only if you try and sell them.

not going to dsell them, not going to make them to order...end of :D

Thats the thing though, there is NOTHING stopping people from producing and selling EXACT replicas of the guitars, or from passing around plans etc. Unless Mansons have taken out some form of legal protection, which i highly doubt they have, in which case they have no grounds to take any legal action against people who do. If mansons have actually taken out some kind of legal copyright then they should have made it publically available, which they havent, so they havent.

If mansons have actually taken out some kind of legal copyright then they should have made it publically available, which they havent, so they havent.

Copyright is automatic but doesn't apply here anyway. Lets not debate things we don't know about, eh? :rolleyes:

'tis a tastey replica but doesn't touch the blackie one imo. Got a bit of a soft spot for that one anyway though! ;)

There's definitely a notion of smugness around here.

You go to the telecaster forum and people will happily share blueprints for any variation of telecasters they have. People make hundreds of telecasters for both personal use and sale.

You go to the Les Paul forum and people will happily pass around blueprints for different models of Les pauls. Same as above.

You come to Kit and Tab and no one dares pass around even an OUTLINE for the MoC shape, because you wouldnt want to dare upset Hugh incase he crys or something, and simply having the "morality" to see making a MoC for sale as wrong, this makes you a better person.

Same goes for the whole rule against fuzz factory clone talk. Why should it be fine to talk about clones of any other pedal other than Z vex pedals JUST because Bellamy is known for using one... Sure Zach might have made out he doesnt aprove of clones, but then I doubt ANY pedal manufacturer does...

Copyright is automatic but doesn't apply here anyway. Lets not debate things we don't know about, eh? :rolleyes:

'tis a tastey replica but doesn't touch the blackie one imo. Got a bit of a soft spot for that one anyway though! ;)

okay so I don't know enough about copyrighting and stuff to write a dissertation on it but anyway, It would be a trademark, which definitely isn't automatic and takes quite a long time and a fair amount of money to do.

Lets face it, if there was actually something legally preventing people from selling guitars with the MoC shape etc. zooropa would have had a rather large fine already.

okay so I don't know enough about copyrighting and stuff to write a dissertation on it but anyway, It would be a trademark, which definitely isn't automatic and takes quite a long time and a fair amount of money to do.

Lets face it, if there was actually something legally preventing people from selling guitars with the MoC shape etc. zooropa would have had a rather large fine already.

Heh, me neither, hence the research. The point is that whether or not they've taken steps to protect their outline there's a lot of misinformation going round here. It's not a question of whether you make money from something or not, if you use someone elses intellectual property without their permission you're breaking the law and they have every right to get you to stop and compensate them if they choose. It's up to them, however, to prove that there's been an infringement and to get you to stop so even if there was some protection in place Mansons would have to find out that you're doing it, find out who you are and track you down before it even gets near a court. Some companies and individuals take a real hardline on this (*cough* Warner) and others may let it slide for non-profit projects (George Lucas and his execs are known to take this approach with a lot of Star Wars i.p in fanfilms and the like).

I've already said that I think it's unlikely that they've bothered any protection with the shapes because who really cares if your guitar is the same shape as theirs because you can't sell it as a Manson because they've more than likely got "Manson Guitars" and, almost certainly, their logo trademarked.

You go to the telecaster forum and people will happily share blueprints for any variation of telecasters they have. People make hundreds of telecasters for both personal use and sale.

You go to the Les Paul forum and people will happily pass around blueprints for different models of Les pauls. Same as above.

You come to Kit and Tab and no one dares pass around even an OUTLINE for the MoC shape, because you wouldnt want to dare upset Hugh incase he crys or something, and simply having the "morality" to see making a MoC for sale as wrong, this makes you a better person.

Same goes for the whole rule against fuzz factory clone talk. Why should it be fine to talk about clones of any other pedal other than Z vex pedals JUST because Bellamy is known for using one... Sure Zach might have made out he doesnt aprove of clones, but then I doubt ANY pedal manufacturer does...

I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about Musecasters being smug.

I don't see how he's being smug. He's fairly regular at Manson's so is friendly with the staff and has enough respect for Hugh not to build replicas of his guitars for others or to go around giving out the plans for the guitars that he's put the effort in to make and some people can't be bothered to do for themselves.

I don't see what's smug about that. I wouldn't go handing them out either.

What.. no one is jealous, this has nothing to do with who has the best MoC etc etc. this is simply to do with WHY everyone has this idea that if people make MoC replicas for sale, that they are going to get fucked over by Mansons, And peoples attitude towards the sale of MoCs and the passing around of Schems. I personally would happily hand out an outline to any newfags that wanted it, if I could be bothered to do it in the first place.

Okay, fair enough, If Musecasters is a regular in mansons then yeah, he has a reason not to make MoCs for sale. That is all this is about.

I don't see how he's being smug. He's fairly regular at Manson's so is friendly with the staff and has enough respect for Hugh not to build replicas of his guitars for others or to go around giving out the plans for the guitars that he's put the effort in to make and some people can't be bothered to do for themselves.

I don't see what's smug about that. I wouldn't go handing them out either.

Yeah it's a respect thing really. I wouldn't give out the shape, but Alex asked me what the height of the MB-1 was a while back.

Am I going to hell because I told him? :eek:

Yes its disrespectful to sell a guitar the exact same as one Hugh has made but i personally dont see the disrespect in giving out a blueprint or something,

I was looking for one a while ago so i could make a CAD model for my school coursework but had no luck so ditched the idea because of the fact its like asking a homeless person for some pie

I do sometimes think that those who dont have a shitload of money and play with a squier and a 10W marshal are deemed as lesser than those who do and have made/bought a manson and have a deizel and some belloorrzzzz effects.

*flameproof jacket put on*

The only people who are thought less of are the people how want everything given to them without even trying to size up a template of there own. It's not like there aren't tonnes of pictures of Matt's guitars out there to base them off, the same as everyone else has done.

It's not that we're smug, it's that a lot of us are friends with Hugh and Tim and respect them enough not to copy their design. What others have said

Lol... being facebook friends with tim does not make you his actual friend... :p

Either way I don't think people should care so much about "ripping off" Mansons, It's not like they are going to be put out of buisness by smaller luthiers, even if they didn't sell MB1s, everything on their website is so outragiously overpriced they must make a packet! However I would definitely see someone ripping off Hooglebug as disrespectful etc.

Archived