Nice! SoCal or more up north?

Inorite. Takes even longer when you live in TX. :p

We're in Monterey, but it's a very short trip. Got here yesterday and we're leaving tomorrow (Sun). My husband won this trip for selling the most wine or something, so yay, free stuff! It's very beautiful here! The only other place I've been in CA is San Fran. I hear it's a icy mess in Atlanta right now, so I'm glad to miss that! :)

We're in Monterey, but it's a very short trip. Got here yesterday and we're leaving tomorrow (Sun). My husband won this trip for selling the most wine or something, so yay, free stuff! It's very beautiful here! The only other place I've been in CA is San Fran. I hear it's a icy mess in Atlanta right now, so I'm glad to miss that! :)

My friend lived in Monterey while studying Chinese in the military (that didn't last long!). The pictures make it look beautiful. :happy:

Hopefully you don't encounter any ice in Atlanta when you get back.

The furthest west I've been in the past 10 years is Pittsburgh, lol... Would be lovely if I traveled more, as much as I love it here at home.

What's good for you is that so many of the big cities in the northeast are closer, so you don't have to travel as far.

My friend lived in Monterey while studying Chinese in the military (that didn't last long!). The pictures make it look beautiful. :happy:

Hopefully you don't encounter any ice in Atlanta when you get back.

What's good for you is that so many of the big cities in the northeast are closer, so you don't have to travel as far.

That's very true, Boston's about 5 hours and NYC is about 1/2 hour and DC is like 8 hours. :p Which is like less than the driving through the state of California apparently from what my dad tells me. I really want to go to San Francisco someday, though. Well. I want to go everywhere really.

That's very true, Boston's about 5 hours and NYC is about 1/2 hour and DC is like 8 hours. :p Which is like less than the driving through the state of California apparently from what my dad tells me. I really want to go to San Francisco someday, though. Well. I want to go everywhere really.

It takes 8 1/2 hours to drive from the northern to the southern tip of Texas. I don't really complain about driving though, I'm more than happy to drive 5 hours to Houston or 3 hours to Austin to see great gigs. ;) (in addition to Dallas ones)

Ho hum. It's raining here.

We might get a dog.

I'm sleepy.

/random status to keep thread afloat :)

:chuckle: This sounds just like Banter.

I live in the middle of the world's biggest ocean. 'Nuff said.

Must be nice being in such a beautiful place though! Do you see yourself ever moving out of HI?

Must be nice being in such a beautiful place though! Do you see yourself ever moving out of HI?

I've thought about it. Of course, living here my whole life, thinking about moving somewhere else is exciting and scary at the same time. It'd be nice to live somewhere where I didn't have to travel to see my favorite bands lol, and real estate here of course is ridiculously priced. But I would miss a lot about Hawai‘i. And I'm not really sure where I'd like to move to.

I've thought about it. Of course, living here my whole life, thinking about moving somewhere else is exciting and scary at the same time. It'd be nice to live somewhere where I didn't have to travel to see my favorite bands lol, and real estate here of course is ridiculously priced. But I would miss a lot about Hawai‘i. And I'm not really sure where I'd like to move to.

Aww yeah I could see both sides of that. It would be hard to move away from the place you've known all your life.

Well, I guess Cali would be good for you location-wise, but property there is expensive too!

Aww yeah I could see both sides of that. It would be hard to move away from the place you've known all your life.

Well, I guess Cali would be good for you location-wise, but property there is expensive too!

Exactly! A lot of people I know are studying or working in Cali, but yeah, not cheap living there, either. Someone suggested I move to Phoenix since property is more affordable there, and I could drive or take short flights to visit friends in Cali, but I never really saw it as an appealing place to live. Since a lot of HI people tend to relocate to Las Vegas, I've always scoffed at the idea of moving to there, but now I kind of understand why people like it there - so much to do and not too far from LA. I'll be in Austin next month, as you know, so maybe that could be a potential place, too.

Ho hum. It's raining here.

We might get a dog.

I'm sleepy.

/random status to keep thread afloat :)

ooh a doggy!? why are you thinking that?

my doggy has a 'femoral head' that has gone bad. basically the vet says she needs hip work done on her left side, which we will have done after the traveling this spring is over. lots of responsibilities, a dog. but so adorable and funny. hope you're either looking at very reputable breeders or mainly animal shelters (all our dogs are from shelters and they are sooo lovey :))

[spoiler=soap box] I'm sure you heard this already, but it bears repeating to anyone who might catch this post. there are too many animals in shelters, where people didn't realize the work and expense that pets can be. they are a lifelong commitment, and too many are just 'given up'. please strongly consider a shelter pet. shelters get all ages, including puppies, all the time. there are also breed-specific shelters everywhere, if you have your heart set on a certain breed. we found our dog via petfinder.org and also at our county shelter

I've thought about moving someplace warmer -- up to another 12" of snow expected in the Chi today -- but my parents are here, they don't plan to move, my job is here, and its central to be a good launch pad for all the gigs coming up :D

/random wish I could have stayed in bed and watched movies all day

/random 2 think I chewed too much cinnamon gum, my mouth is all effed up today :$

We did get a dog! From a shelter. :awesome: He's a year old Cairn Terrier mix named Kipper. :happy: He's so cute and friendly, even though he was a stray for 6 months. I'm allergic to most dogs, but the wire-haired terriers don't seem to bother me. So yeah, this is my first dog. I have a LOT to learn! The house training is a challenge. On the way to the vet he peed in the front seat of my car. On the way home, he threw up in the back. :indiff: When it comes to a leash or going outside, he seems to have a mind of his own, but we'll figure it out. He's already learned "No" and "Kipper."

Here's a pic of the little darling:

401273523_P10106822.jpg.de76b4c1c8916cf287a2334e625644fa.jpg

We did get a dog! From a shelter. :awesome: He's a year old Cairn Terrier mix named Kipper. :happy: He's so cute and friendly, even though he was a stray for 6 months. I'm allergic to most dogs, but the wire-haired terriers don't seem to bother me. So yeah, this is my first dog. I have a LOT to learn! The house training is a challenge. On the way to the vet he peed in the front seat of my car. On the way home, he threw up in the back. :indiff: When it comes to a leash or going outside, he seems to have a mind of his own, but we'll figure it out. He's already learned "No" and "Kipper."

Aww adorable. :happy: I'm a sucker for cute animals. Those animal shelter and ASPCA commercials get me teared up more than anything else. :LOL:

My aunt's dog died not long ago (he was 14), and so now she has the cutest terrier/maltese mix puppy.

I just saw this post! Yeah, I have that as my undertitle. Sometimes, I sing "I'm a droplet in the ocean" during MK Ultra. 'Cause it's true. :LOL:

Adorable dog you got!

I just did the calculation...you can fit about 24 Hawaiis into one TX!

Aww adorable. :happy: I'm a sucker for cute animals. Those animal shelter and ASPCA commercials get me teared up more than anything else. :LOL:

My aunt's dog died not long ago (he was 14), and so now she has the cutest terrier/maltese mix puppy.

I just did the calculation...you can fit about 24 Hawaiis into one TX!

Awww, what kind of dog did your aunt have? I don't remember ever not having a dog, so I'm a dog fan. :)

:LOL: My first reaction was "wouldn't it be more than 24?"... but I guess it looks about right. Is that the land area of all the islands, or just the major ones?

OMGOMG, he is sooo cute!! we have only had dogs for about 3-4 years now. from our experience with our older doggy from the county animal control, he took a while before he realized he was 'safe' with us which kind of went along with not going to the bathroom in the house. he's a funny little guy, and he has an awful time trying to tell us he 'needs to go' -- basically he just looks at you and breathes loudly out of his mouth (I mean srsly, wtf kind of signal is that??) -- and being an older dog, he had some medical issues, but since he is now on apparently the 'right' medication, his accidents have gone to 0 (watch, now, I'm jinxed myself :rolleyes:)

on a more personal note: my sibling and I are convinced we would have grown up to be much different, probably nicer people, had we only had dogs as our companions growing up. as it was, we couldn't get 'real' housepets until we had each moved out.

seriously :erm: there are days when my partner likes the dogs waaay more than me, and vice versa :D

... and our car detailer is one of our favorite people :LOL:

I spent 4 days in RI, and I dunno, it's really pretty there. Sure it's full of rich folks, but from an architectural standpoint, there are some real treasures there. Also, there's evidence that vikings explored there.

That reminds me.... It kinda bugs me that Christopher Columbus gets all the credit for "discovering" America, when the Vikings had settlements here hundreds of years before Columbus. He was just the one that convinced lots of other people to move here. :phu:

:viking:

/random history rant

OMGOMG, he is sooo cute!! we have only had dogs for about 3-4 years now. from our experience with our older doggy from the county animal control, he took a while before he realized he was 'safe' with us which kind of went along with not going to the bathroom in the house. he's a funny little guy, and he has an awful time trying to tell us he 'needs to go' -- basically he just looks at you and breathes loudly out of his mouth (I mean srsly, wtf kind of signal is that??) -- and being an older dog, he had some medical issues, but since he is now on apparently the 'right' medication, his accidents have gone to 0 (watch, now, I'm jinxed myself :rolleyes:)

on a more personal note: my sibling and I are convinced we would have grown up to be much different, probably nicer people, had we only had dogs as our companions growing up. as it was, we couldn't get 'real' housepets until we had each moved out.

seriously :erm: there are days when my partner likes the dogs waaay more than me, and vice versa :D

... and our car detailer is one of our favorite people :LOL:

Kipper is doing better with things already. I can tell he's more comfortable. He seems to like going for walks a bit and is learning he can't just walk where ever he wants. So far he hasn't pooped in the house, but the peeing is still a bit of a problem. I think mostly he's marking his territory. At least it seems to be confined to the kitchen linoleum. :)

I'm an only child and I had a cats growing up even though I was allergic. I'm not sure if that makes me a better person, or a bitter person! :LOL: Nah, the second one was sweet. The first one hated me because he was a neurotic siamese and I was a tail-pulling toddler. So he avoided me. The second one was my pal, but I still sneezed. He lived to be 21! :pope: (Long after I moved out of the house.)

Archived