ooooh my!!!! i am fucking back people, i know no one actually noticed my absence but i've been hurting without the internet, i know i'm really far behind but i'm still in shock over the show, which was amazing of course and Ed, you're awesome and thank goodness you were wearing a blatent hockey shirt or else i'd never have seen you, anyway, it's awesome to be back, Cheers!! :D

i tried to order origin of symmetry a few weeks ago, and they told me it was out of print and i couldnt buy it. i was like "WHAAAA-T!"..but they're becoming mighty popular here in los angeles. they're show sold out in minutes!

I just picked up a copy for my sister at virgin in chicago, like, 2 weeks ago. I'm sure there are copies around, you just have to find the places that stock them (imports).

i tried to order origin of symmetry a few weeks ago, and they told me it was out of print and i couldnt buy it. i was like "WHAAAA-T!"..but they're becoming mighty popular here in los angeles. they're show sold out in minutes!

I gave up looking for OOS in the stores, the only place that had it for a while was Amoeba, yep yep

All the Virgin stores I've been to carry OOS...but you're better off looking in independent shops that get imports.

Lana! Took you long enough. :p

I'm excited about that too, Saucy_jocey! It means there are enough people over here to warrent separate news sections!

Or better yet, just get it over the internet, and save yourself the hassle of going to a bunch of stores to look for it. I live nowhere near a Virgin or a Tower, or any cool indie record place, all I have are Best Buy and the devil stores: FYE, Spec's, etc.

Lana!! I did notice your absence! :( Welcome back! :D Where were you?! :(

Oh, again I feel like a proud parent. In the latest edition of Filter magazine, Muse make their *PROPER* American press debut (that half-assed review of Absolution in Rolling Stone is nullified due to poor journalistic effort).

Filterpic.jpg

The article can be read here

I find this article to be wonderful sylistically and intentionally. They not only mentioned all the other albums Muse have put out (admittedly, there's no "The" before OOS, but at least they're trying), but they are working to prove accusations Rolling Stone and others are trying to pass off. Very nicely done.

Yeah, sorry about that, Steph. Angelfire hates me. But it waits until after I leave to exact revenge so I don't suspect a thing. It's fixed now, hopefully.

There was a pretty amusing review of Absolution too. I'll type it up in a bit.

Yeah, sorry about that, Steph. Angelfire hates me. But it waits until after I leave to exact revenge so I don't suspect a thing. It's fixed now, hopefully.

There was a pretty amusing review of Absolution too. I'll type it up in a bit.

*Wanders into American Muse fans thread*

Thanks for posting the Filter article. I saw the review of Absolution in Filter as well - pretty good, I thought. Yes, wasn't the Rolling Stone review a complete load of rubbish? I think the reviewer just listened to the first proper track and the last, and repeated a bunch of mindless assumptions. Bah.

*Leaves quietly*

Decent article.... glad to see them getting some positive PR. Now where do I fetch me a copy of one of these???

I got mine at Barnes & Nobles, but Borders probably carries it as well.

Yep, Half Life, that RS review was truly horrible. And not because they didn't like it; obviously there are people who don't like Muse, but that's not the same as being ignorant. In order to truly dislike something, you have to be educated. The reviewer sounds as if he merely copied down a tracklist (although, he didn't even do that properly), typed "Muse" into a Google search, and read that people say they sound like Radiohead.

For everyone who doesn't have access to Filter, here's their review of Absolution.

Muse

Absolution

Warner Brothers

90%

Stop theorizing about Roswell with your internet buddies, turn off the Sci-Fil channel, put down the bong and imagine this: an apocalyptic rock opera borrowing equal parts from Bends-era Radiohead, Queen's soundtrack for Flash Gordon, Billy Corgan's most glorioiusly bloated moments, and Dr. Strangelove. Muse's third studio set, Absolution, is a massive concept album that is so gluttonously huge-sounding that it makes The Wall sound like a Sebadoh record.

Opening to the militaristic rhythm of goose-stepping boots and a hoarsely shouted command, the record explodes into the second track, "Apocalypse Now" (AN: technically incorrect...), with lead singer Matt Bellamy howling, "It's time we saw a miracle/Come on it's time for something biblical," as the music builds into an orchestrated monster. "Time Is Running Out" follows, full of buzzing base and terse drum patterns, while the paranoid frontman continues to rant and rave about Doomsday. But then there's "Sing For Absolution," a swooping and soaring ballad that starts as a prayer and ends as a confession. Then they switch gears back into high with the furiosly riffed "Stockholm Syndrome" and the menacing electricity of "Hysteria." In fact, throughout the 14-song set, the threesome is constantly swerving from whispers to screams like this, but they always maintain a fevered intensity.

With Absolution, Muse paint a world filled with questionable crusades, nuclear proliferation, and faceless oppressors. How much of this you believe is fiction depends on how much of an optimist you are. And just as Nero played his violin as he watched Rome burn, you get the sense that Muse want to be playing the last show on earth as mushroom clouds bloom around them and the ground scorches beneath their feet. If this is the soundtrack to global annihilation, then pusing the red button never looked so tempting.

-Nevin Martell

ah, more muse in the local press. there's a little feature on them in a weekly boston mag (the weekly dig). article doesn't say much we don't know already (thankfully, it dismisses comparisons to radiohead), but here's the following from chris on muse's boston show: "our first show in new york was like an industry type crowd. this boston gig felt like it was the first proper gig. our last album didn't come out here, so we didn't know people would be aware of us. we were kind of expecting to play to half sold-out venues. we didn't expect people to be jumping around and crowd surfing. that's the first time that's happened to us in america.'

FINALLY i converted someone. my friends usually don't listen to me, but i told one going to coachella to make sure to check out muse, and i heard from her that she thought they were awesome. well, of course...

I'm back home.

I'll start uploading pictures in an hour or so, I believe.

I was in the third row, nearly dead-centre for Muse.

*beams* :D

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Once I gather myself (Maybe tomorrow?), I'll write on it.

Honestly, if all else fails, their live act can do nothing but amaze.

exactly... now my friend wants to go to their show in LA tomorrow night, but it's too late for her to get tickets. well, i guess that's what she gets for ignoring what i've been saying 'bout muse for the past few years...

and welcome back, mark. yes please, show all, tell all...

Archived