Fender Blacktop Tele Project

jack259

But if you were to bring in one of gazlangs kits, I still don't know if they'd do it or not. It would be a custom mod first, but also something about it being a gentleman's agreement with Matt apparently.

So you can only really get it from them if it's on a MB-1 - I guess Simno's second guitar was the only one that got out really.

already tried with gaz's kit. They'll never do it even if it means just routing a square i think. There's a luthier in london which does an xy mod for 150 pounds but you have to buy the screen first so its a bit of a rip off. A while back i got hold of gazlang and asked him to build it in for me and he said it will cost 200 overall which i thought was a good deal but i never went through with it but that was when he was just starting so i dont know if he would do that now, also good luck getting hold of him, he only appears once or twice a year lol :rolleyes:

already tried with gaz's kit. They'll never do it even if it means just routing a square i think. There's a luthier in london which does an xy mod for 150 pounds but you have to buy the screen first so its a bit of a rip off. A while back i got hold of gazlang and asked him to build it in for me and he said it will cost 200 overall which i thought was a good deal but i never went through with it but that was when he was just starting so i dont know if he would do that now, also good luck getting hold of him, he only appears once or twice a year lol :rolleyes:

Yeah I'm defo gonna leave the MIDI stuff out for now...

• 2 weeks later...

In case you were still wondering about shaft types, turns out I was mixed up. Strats use split shafts, while Teles use solid shafts. The only difference really is what knob you can put on it.

Although, looking at that picture of the blacktop, it looks like it uses the amp-style knobs, which are push-on, which means it uses split shaft pots.

a split shaft? ouch.

split shaft knobs? Sounds painful!

Olly wants his joke back :LOL:

I played a few Tele's on Sunday (not a blacktop unfortunately) and I wasn't overly impressed. Not to say they're bad guitars, just not really for me. I then picked up a Les Paul and was impressed, so this whole project may just go down the pan :LOL:

I also like the 72 Fender Tele Custom Deluxe, although they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Les Paul wise, I like the BFG, Mahogany 60's, and 50's tribute.

If I get the Mahogany or 50's Tribute then I may get a couple of things done to it, but nothing major (just coil tapping, mid boost switch maybe) and the BFG is pretty much complete but just looks weird...

Any words of wisdom? Chances are that I'm getting a guitar today...

Olly wants his joke back :LOL:

I played a few Tele's on Sunday (not a blacktop unfortunately) and I wasn't overly impressed. Not to say they're bad guitars, just not really for me. I then picked up a Les Paul and was impressed, so this whole project may just go down the pan :LOL:

I also like the 72 Fender Tele Custom Deluxe, although they seem to be sold out everywhere.

Les Paul wise, I like the BFG, Mahogany 60's, and 50's tribute.

If I get the Mahogany or 50's Tribute then I may get a couple of things done to it, but nothing major (just coil tapping, mid boost switch maybe) and the BFG is pretty much complete but just looks weird...

Any words of wisdom? Chances are that I'm getting a guitar today...

the 79 fender custom teles usually play well, i would go for one of those...

the 79 fender custom teles usually play well, i would go for one of those...

They lack humbuckers... And are they even in production?

I'm thinking a BFG maybe, they're just so odd though, if not the mahogany les paul and add some silver hardware and maybe a p90 or coil taps. Or the 50's tribute les paul, although that may be a bit vintage for my tastes...

Surely if you disliked the teles (apart from the 72 deluxe) but liked then les paul...then you just prefer humbuckers to single coils?

So you can still just get a tele blacktop, which has humbuckers, keep the tele shape, and avoid the fugly strat headstock that comes with the 72 deluxe?

Surely if you disliked the teles (apart from the 72 deluxe) but liked then les paul...then you just prefer humbuckers to single coils?

So you can still just get a tele blacktop, which has humbuckers, keep the tele shape, and avoid the fugly strat headstock that comes with the 72 deluxe?

I see your point. But I've never played a tele with humbuckers, not the 72 nor the blacktop, I played a few standard ones for general feel, but I wasn't really impressed, even the american ones. And although entirely subjective, I prefer the strat headstock on the 72.

colour? any mods or are you just sticking with a standard guit?

White with cream hardware, however I will probably replace the cream with black as it looks slightly odd, although it's growing on me...

As it had P90's, I have the best of both worlds of humbuckers and single coils...

Not sure about mods at the minute (apart from the hardware changes). I think I'll see how it goes, might add a killswitch or a mid boost, but I'll just go with it for now :) And get what I need, rather than what I want, and more importantly, stop being a Bellzor wannabe... :LOL:

I tried the Tele but it was just too big for me in the end (I'm not the tallest person), which was slightly disappointing as I was dead set on it. The finish was uber shiny too which was a little off putting, although certainly not the main factor for not choosing the guitar. A nice guitar with low action and a fairly good neck none the less, although the maple didn't live quite up to expectations...

It was also quite similar sounding to my Epiphone G-400 Custom.

Worn Satin White:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx

Slightly road worn finish, which is also matte, love it...

And I'm sure it'll look nicer with the black hardware...

Got it from Coda Music in Luton. Heads up to them :)

Archived