Fender Blacktop Tele Project

jack259

Okay, so it's my 18th birthday soon, and I want either a MacBook Pro or a new guitar. It seems the former is too much for my parents, so I've decided on a guitar.

The guitar I'm currently set on is the Fender Blacktop Telecaster. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the Blacktop range, it's basically Fender dishing out high output, humbucker equipt guitars, without the price tag. A Stratocaster, Jaguar and Jazzmaster is also available. What I am after is a Matt Bellamy influenced guitar, whilst still maintaining my own wants and needs.

I will have the guitar modified to my taste by a local music shop once they've ordered one in for me.

This guitar is going to be a complete workhorse for me, and hopefully see me through a music degree and possibly a HND (Higher National Diploma) in guitar playing.

Not only are the modifications for guitar wankery and Bellorz wannabe-isms, they're to add to the guitars versatility. Basically, so I'll only have to take one guitar around with me the majority of the time.

I am currently planning out a proposition to email to my local guitar shop for a quote etc. I plan on buying most of the parts (as opposed to doing it through the guitar shop) to reduce costs.

Before I go any further, if anyone would like to recommend another guitar (must be new and £500GBP max.) please put one forward.

I've looked at the:

PRS SE Singlecut Trem

Les Paul BFG (The Gary Moore signature appears to be the only one currently in production)

Okay, enough tl;dr-ing. I'll cut to the chase...

The reason I'm posting this on here is for assistance because I'm not the most knowledgeable about some of things I want done/have in mind.

Currently, this is the (exact) Blacktop Tele I'll be getting:

[spoiler=BLACKTOP TELE]0148202506_xl.jpg

I like the silver one too, but silver guitars never look the same in photos, I also think black is more practical, and I don't think I want another red guitar.

I'm currently opting for a maple fretboard as the majority of people I've spoken to about maple and rosewood prefer maple, and all my guitars have rosewood 'boards. Even though I've never seen Bellorz use a maple fretboard guitar, I'm definitely edging towards one. Obviously, I'll need to play one...

So what do I want to do to it?

Well..

-Put a humbucker sized P90 pickup in the neck

Obviously, this needs to be the size of a humbucker, and preferably chrome covered. I'd love a Manson one but I can't afford a £109 pickup, so I'm shooting below £50. This is the one I currently have in mind.

-Add a killswitch

My main worry with buying the parts is within the electronics, as I don't really have a clue. If someone could possibly post a link to a good killswitch it'd be greatly appreciated.

-Add a fuzz pot

As above really. I've seen a couple on the internet before but none recently. I understand this would have to be battery powered? If possible I'd like it to be passive. This could be tricky as the guitar would have to be routed. Basically I'd like to have the feedback that is created when Matt uses his built in Zvex (pre-Plug In Baby/Blackout on H.A.A.R.P style. Again, recommend away. Please do not recommend the Zvex option as I don't have that much moneyz :p Although I'd consider buying a cheap fuzz pedal to have built into the guitar if that would do the job.

-Mirrored Pick guard/scratch plate

I'd like to add a mirrored pick guard to the guitar. Obviously I need a Telecaster one with a humbucker slot. I've looked for one a fair bit and only found one which was about £60. It was custom made though. I'm willing to spend up to £30 on this. If anyone comes across one please link it :) If I can't get one I'll probably go for white, which should be easy enough to find...

-Strap locks

Not necessarily a modification, but I thought I'd post it none the less. I've got some Schallers on one of my other guitars so I'll probably do the same again and get these in chrome.

-Control knobs

I don't like the amp style knobs on the Blacktop so I am going to use the ones found on most Tele's. I think the ones on this page (scroll down to the Telecaster Style Dome Topped Knob) will do the job, but will I need split or solid shafts?

-Coil-tap bridge humbucker

To add to the versatility of the guitar, I'd like to be able split the bridge humbucker when required. Please link me to all of the parts required for this (considering the supplied tone pot cannot cater for this).

-Moare funky switches

I'd also like switches that:

Boost treble

Boost mids

Increase warmth

Increase brightness

Like always, if anyone can link me to a place to buy any of these (multi function ones if possible), please do. Preferably passive switches, I'll use knobs if not, and batteries at a push. Must be true bypass though.

-MIDI controller

To finish it, I'd like to add a MIDI controller to the guitar. The only ones I know of are XY pads and MIDI strips, so if anyone can recommend any others it'd be greatly appreciated (Google only seems to know of keyboards). As much as I'd love an XY pad, I don't think I can afford to spend that much, so I'd probably settle for a MIDI strip. However, I can't find a place to buy either of these. So go ahead...

I did a (very rough) mock-up of the guitar on Kisekai and this is how it looked...

guitarmockup15.th.png (Click to enlarge)

[spoiler=MEGA LOLZ]guitarmockup1.th.png

These mock-ups aren't amazing as I couldn't get a chrome humbucker sized P90 in their and I haven't added any extra switches to them yet. This is because I'm yet to find out what is possible and what isn't, so I'll decide on where everything will go once I know what I can/can't do. Also the control plate is the wrong way around. So bear with me on these.

The text in bold is all of the important info as I'm very much aware this is long winded...

Any help, recommendations and links are very welcome :D

Thanks for reading...

Well you'll need something like a fuzz factory for the bellamy shit. but you'd be wasting your money same with the midi controller. what do you plan to actually use it for?

as for:

Boost treble

Boost mids

Increase warmth

Increase brightness

Basically you'd describing your tone pot. With it on full have it with a middy trebly tone, roll it back and loss the highs and get a warmer sound or switch to the neck pickup...

kill switch is easy. use a gibson style 3 way toggle. depending on where you have it you may need to do some routing.

switch you're tone pot for a push pull one for a coil tap, assuming the bridge humbucker was the right style cable.

as for the pickguard. you could buy an A4 sheet of perspex from ebay and use the one that comes on the guitar as a template to make a new one.

Well you'll need something like a fuzz factory for the bellamy shit. but you'd be wasting your money same with the midi controller. what do you plan to actually use it for?

as for:

Boost treble

Boost mids

Increase warmth

Increase brightness

Basically you'd describing your tone pot. With it on full have it with a middy trebly tone, roll it back and loss the highs and get a warmer sound or switch to the neck pickup...

kill switch is easy. use a gibson style 3 way toggle. depending on where you have it you may need to do some routing.

switch you're tone pot for a push pull one for a coil tap, assuming the bridge humbucker was the right style cable.

as for the pickguard. you could buy an A4 sheet of perspex from ebay and use the one that comes on the guitar as a template to make a new one.

Fuzz pot:

I really can't stretch to a FF and then waste it by putting it into a guitar. What about one of these to be built in? Or would it just not work? Is their any alternative to achieve the same feedback effect?

MIDI controller:

Onboard controlling of Kaoss Pad & Whammy Pedal

Tone switches:

Apparently the tone pot on the Blacktop doesn't do much, and the described switches are to further enhance what the tone pot will do anyway. Just makes it easier when performing etc.

Kill switch:

Gibson toggles are too big. Would a mini one work? Does it have to have 3 positions or can it have 2? I'd fit it in the pick guard I think :)

Coil-tapping:

What do you mean by 'the right style cable'?

Pick guard:

That's a good idea, but I'd probably save myself the hassle and go for white to be honest...

I think Telecasters have split shafts, but I'm not sure. Don't know about the Blacktops, either. You could just take the knobs off and look at it yourself.

I don't have the guitar at the moment and I'm planning for the guitar shop to order one in and do the work all at once, so I won't have a chance to check it out :( Thanks though...

Fuzz pot:

I really can't stretch to a FF and then waste it by putting it into a guitar. What about one of these to be built in? Or would it just not work? Is their any alternative to achieve the same feedback effect?

MIDI controller:

Onboard controlling of Kaoss Pad & Whammy Pedal

Tone switches:

Apparently the tone pot on the Blacktop doesn't do much, and the described switches are to further enhance what the tone pot will do anyway. Just makes it easier when performing etc.

Kill switch:

Gibson toggles are too big. Would a mini one work? Does it have to have 3 positions or can it have 2? I'd fit it in the pick guard I think :)

Coil-tapping:

What do you mean by 'the right style cable'?

Pick guard:

That's a good idea, but I'd probably save myself the hassle and go for white to be honest...

I don't have the guitar at the moment and I'm planning for the guitar shop to order one in and do the work all at once, so I won't have a chance to check it out :( Thanks though...

the only reason matt put the FF in was to fuck with the osc. pitch, i see no reason in putting in a bog standard od/fuzz (or even an FF but that is just me)

coil tap: "right stlye cable": four conductor humbi

tone shit: get an EQ pedal (or more) :D everything you described is active anyways, or can be passive with a big fucking volume drop rendering your guitar useless. (so basically can't be passive) without volume loss you can cut highs with your tone pot, or cut bass with an other pot/cap config but that is all.

here are some active tone and other "inside-the-guitar" circuits, every one of them is inferior to eq pedulz anyways:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Active-Preamps_c_51.html

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_090.htm

the only reason matt put the FF in was to fuck with the osc. pitch, i see no reason in putting in a bog standard od/fuzz (or even an FF but that is just me)

coil tap: "right stlye cable": four conductor humbi

tone shit: get an EQ pedal (or more) :D everything you described is active anyways, or can be passive with a big fucking volume drop rendering your guitar useless. (so basically can't be passive) without volume loss you can cut highs with your tone pot, or cut bass with an other pot/cap config but that is all.

here are some active tone and other "inside-the-guitar" circuits, every one of them is inferior to eq pedulz anyways:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Active-Preamps_c_51.html

http://www.axetec.co.uk/axetec%20guitar%20parts%20spares%20pickups_090.htm

Fuzz: I see. I thought the fuzz factory was built in and he could just fuck with a volume knob controlling it to create feedback. Complete waste of a pedal really.

But... What would putting in a bog standard fuzz pedal achieve? Sorry I'm just really curious about this stuff. I wish I did electronics at school. Never thought I'd ever say that :LOL:

Coil tap: Thanks!

Thanks for the heads up about passive/active stuff. Seems to make sense. Having a load of active shit in the guitar would cause major routing to be done (this Tele doesn't have anywhere to store stuff easily), which would mean loss of tonez.

I think I may get an EQ pedal, but I also want some on board stuff, so I don't completely rely on my pedal board (which I am heavily reliant on).

Which EQ (or more?) pedal/s do you recommend? Something that I can get for about £50 second hand preferably.

Cheers for the links to the circuits :D

UK websites if possible please :D

I think I may place everything beneath the bridge.

Having a load of active shit in the guitar would cause major routing to be done (this Tele doesn't have anywhere to store stuff easily), which would mean loss of tonez.

Not necessarily, remember how much active shit 007 has, yet it's still Matt's favorite to record with for it's sound ;)

Also, just want to say, I think this is a really cool idea, I'm really thinking about doing something like this too :)

theres some things here, cheap too.

all putting a normal fuzz in a guitar would do is that you'd flick a switch on your guitar rather than stand on it. like has been said before, the only reason for a fuzz factory to be there is to mess with the squeeling noises.

Cheers for those :)

I see. I there a way I can make stupid squeeling noises without a FF?

Not necessarily, remember how much active shit 007 has, yet it's still Matt's favorite to record with for it's sound ;)

Also, just want to say, I think this is a really cool idea, I'm really thinking about doing something like this too :)

Yeah that's true, but so much can be done to a recorded track...

I'll probably have some routing done none-the-less, just not masses. Besides, it's not the tone loss that detracts me the most, it's the cost of having a guitar with no routing routed!

And thanks :happy:

yeh, but it looks like you'd be stuck with the one program, so make sure it'd work with whatever you want to use it with.

Right... I'll probably only use it with a whammy, but I hope to get a Kaoss Pad sometime... Is that what you mean?

How do I make sure of it?

duhhh

An opinion among many others:

a new Fender, to make a big routing for a controller for Midi-PAD? and FuzkFactry?

Take a Squier John 5. Good guitar and not very expensive.

SJ5T_body-front.jpg

Pretty sexy with the white binding (ok, it's subjective)

With this guitar, you have:

- The mirror pickguard

- The LP toggle switch on the horn.

- You have space on the control plate.

- Good knobs

With that, you will put on Tonerider pickups. Better than Artecyyyy.

The Kent Armstrong are not bad either.

You can put a mini-toggle-switch on the plate for the pickups selection. (Or another LP toggle switch, small box version. Or blend pot)

And another mini-toggle for the humb coil-tap

For Fuzctractory. Matt use the Stab & Comp pots, right ? There are diy kits or copies, cheaper than Zvex, but.. routing, necessary. 2 pots, on/off switch.. etc

For the midi-pad & controller same thing, big routing, you have a thread in K'n't about this..

There is a very nice fuzz that makes this kind of noise is the Catalinbread V8.

It's small, but it is a bit expensive.

These onboard/integrations is a lot of work. Tools, to buy if you have none or a luthier to make the routings. So, money. (and/or practice)

Controller and FF is gadgets to make shtzz noise,

I would just put good pickups in the guitar and killswitch is nice.

A small kit so Artec-o-GFS could be nice, yes.

I don't know how the whammy operates. You'd have to look up what MIDI messages you need to send to the whammy. Then you need a unit that's programmed to send those messages. Likewise for a kaoss pad or any MIDI unit. The one you linked to seems to have one program, and so not very flexible, and this one program might not send the right messages.

An opinion among many others:

a new Fender, to make a big routing for a controller for Midi-PAD? and FuzkFactry?

Take a Squier John 5. Good guitar and not very expensive.

SJ5T_body-front.jpg

Pretty sexy with the white binding (ok, it's subjective)

With this guitar, you have:

- The mirror pickguard

- The LP toggle switch on the horn.

- You have space on the control plate.

- Good knobs

With that, you will put on Tonerider pickups. Better than Artecyyyy.

The Kent Armstrong are not bad either.

You can put a mini-toggle-switch on the plate for the pickups selection. (Or another LP toggle switch, small box version. Or blend pot)

And another mini-toggle for the humb coil-tap

For Fuzctractory. Matt use the Stab & Comp pots, right ? There are diy kits or copies, cheaper than Zvex, but.. routing, necessary. 2 pots, on/off switch.. etc

For the midi-pad & controller same thing, big routing, you have a thread in K'n't about this..

There is a very nice fuzz that makes this kind of noise is the Catalinbread V8.

It's small, but it is a bit expensive.

These onboard/integrations is a lot of work. Tools, to buy if you have none or a luthier to make the routings. So, money. (and/or practice)

Controller and FF is gadgets to make shtzz noise,

I would just put good pickups in the guitar and killswitch is nice.

A small kit so Artec-o-GFS could be nice, yes.

Thank you for the suggestion on the guitar but I don't really want a squire signature model.

Thanks for the suggestion on the pickups.

Why can I find these FF copies/kits?

I thought I'd combine everything into one as this is a project and multiple things need to be taken into consideration.

Like I mentioned in my first post, a guitar shop is doing the work for me.

Thanks for your input :)

I don't know how the whammy operates. You'd have to look up what MIDI messages you need to send to the whammy. Then you need a unit that's programmed to send those messages. Likewise for a kaoss pad or any MIDI unit. The one you linked to seems to have one program, and so not very flexible, and this one program might not send the right messages.

Fuck, too complicated. Might consider leaving out the MIDI for a few months...

A short update..

So I went to the guitar shop yesterday evening. They didn't have any in stock so they said they'd order one in and give me a call when they get it. The guys in their all liked my choice of colour/fretboard (black with maple). They were also happy to do the modifications, however when I dropped the 'MIDI controller' card, the guys jaw hit the floor, so I think I'll give that one a miss for now :LOL: Plus I can't really afford it, and I don't even own a whammy/kaoss pad yet...

Now I just need to decide on what I want doing it to it for definite...

yes its slghtly smaller but the parameters are exactly the same, just looks tidier on the guitar imo :)

Can anyone confirm that Mansons will do the x,y mod on a guitar? I was under the impression it was only for the MB-1

They only have the X-Ys made for the MB-1s apparently and would have to get them in bulk if it were more (or something like that).

But if you were to bring in one of gazlangs kits, I still don't know if they'd do it or not. It would be a custom mod first, but also something about it being a gentleman's agreement with Matt apparently.

So you can only really get it from them if it's on a MB-1 - I guess Simno's second guitar was the only one that got out really.

Archived