Live Differences You Love

TrebleRose689

This is a thread to talk about any unique sort of changes or "flourishes" to songs that Muse sometimes does when they perform live that makes them different from the album version. It can be any sort of little detail that you love that makes the live version of a song stand-out from the studio one :)

The first that come to mind for me (at the moment) is whenever Matt says "Our trials and tribulations" in Starlight and, of course, the "Since I lost you" in MotP.

I also love this one tiny detail of SS that they occasionally do during the last chorus. After "abandon you", Matt sometimes plays a really high note on the guitar that makes it sound more "dramatic" :LOL: He did this during my show and it gave me chills. :chuckle: It's really a minute detail, but for some reason I really love it :p

He did it at Glastonbury this year too. Go to about 4:25 to hear it :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ez4a4FhaS-E

The thread you liked to is different; the OP here is talking about the different things they do with the songs live, not moments from certain gigs.

But yes, it should under gigs and tours.

That's because the topic and some of the contents of the thread was changed after he posted and the thread got locked once

That's because the topic and some of the contents of the thread was changed after he posted and the thread got locked once

I'm a girl :phu::LOL:

But yeah, Olly let it get re-opened when he realized that although my thread title was the same as that other thread, it actually isn't talking about the same thing. So I changed the title and just edited my first paragraph to make it extra-clear that I'm talking about MUSICAL things they do live, not performance-y things.

Also... now that we have that straightened out, can be people just post here if they're actually gonna address the original discussion topic? :LOL: I keep seeing people post and getting excited, then let down. :chuckle: I'm very interested to see what people say :)

I'm a girl :phu::LOL:

But yeah, Olly let it get re-opened when he realized that although my thread title was the same as that other thread, it actually isn't talking about the same thing. So I changed the title and just edited my first paragraph to make it extra-clear that I'm talking about MUSICAL things they do live, not performance-y things.

Also... now that we have that straightened out, can be people just post here if they're actually gonna address the original discussion topic? :LOL: I keep seeing people post and getting excited, then let down. :chuckle: I'm very interested to see what people say :)

he=Zaphod Chizzlebrox ;)

Songs that are actually played different live would be Bliss(falsetto), New Born(solo), Uprising(Ending riff) and KoC(Ending riff). But otherwise it's mostly little details. I like that a lot, that they can still have SOME amount of improv on stage.

the old scream on SS back in 2004

Bliss falsetto

The 2004 hysteria guitar intro

Screenager piano interlude

Dead Star outro riff

Micro cuts extended outro

Guitars and bass bridge in B&H

Space Dementia outro with extra piano

Plug in baby chorus guitar part

- "Our trials and tribulations"

- Matt playing the intro to "Hysteria" along with Chris

- Adagio in G minor intro to "Resistance" on the double neck.

- "Since I lost you" in MoTP

- "Come on [insert city/gig here]!!!" in KoC

- Falsetto in "Bliss"

- Clapping in "Starlight" if that counts

There are waaaay too many to mention. The whole of B&H sounds different live - from the drumming, the extended guitar bit before the breakdown, Matt's falsetto wail at the end - it's 100 times better. New Born (pre-Resistance era) was amazing live as well - that build-up from piano to guitar mode was epic (RIP :rolleyes:).

It's just little things they do to enhance and develop the songs that makes them an awesome live band; the studio versions pale next to their live counterparts (mostly ;)). Screenager piano is amazing, the intro to Resistance gives me chills live from the hype of the crowd more than the performance (lol), Stockholm at every level is just awesome, same with KoC, Bliss, Citizen... it's an endless list!

There's less evidence of these differences in this latest tour, imo, than before - they still experiment with TR songs live, but it doesn't feel as obvious as previous albums' songs. The biggest difference is the Uprising outro, but I still feel a few songs from TR need to evolve a bit more live. They perform them to the same top standard, but there's not as much change as there could be, imo.

-Pretty much every change to the final guitar lick in KoC, I've preferred to the album version

-The fuzz solo in SMBH

-Dom's drum fill near the end of Plug in Baby that is always played live, but isn't on the album... speaking of which...

-The outro to Plug in Baby

-The extended outro to Uprising

-A lack of Collateral Damage at the end of USoE

- During Apocalypse Please when matt plays all the way down the piano after the chorus (kind of hard to explain)

- The Sunburn piano solo after the 2nd chorus in place of the guitar solo

- The guitar effects in the build up to the Muscle Museum chorus

- Dead star arpeggios

- Matt playing along with the bass on Hysteria

Archived