Just gotta force yourself to do it, I'm afraid! Like others have said, sometimes Muse makes pretty good studying music (for me, I have a playlist of their more "mellow" songs that works pretty well for getting HW done!). Or if that's too distracting, you've gotta just suck it up and force yourself to stop thinking about Muse and focus only on schoolwork. It might not be easy, but it's necessary! Never let something like this affect your school performance :noey: Education is so important :)

Just get drunk! You'll forget all about Muse! :LOL:

That's not true in my case. :$

:chuckle: Me neither. I actually have this bizarre drunken "tradition" where I sing PiB EVERY time I get drunk. (Some of you know the story of how all that began : :chuckle:) Also, on multiple occasions I've rambled on about how much I love them and now I'm going to "have their babies" someday (:wtf::LOL:) and I usually end up listening to them and going "Oh my gawwwwd they're amaaaaazingggggg!" :facepalm::LOL:

/off-topic

:chuckle: Me neither. I actually have this bizarre drunken "tradition" where I sing PiB EVERY time I get drunk. (Some of you know the story of how all that began : :chuckle:) Also, on multiple occasions I've rambled on about how much I love them and now I'm going to "have their babies" someday (:wtf::LOL:) and I usually end up listening to them and going "Oh my gawwwwd they're amaaaaazingggggg!" :facepalm::LOL:

/off-topic

:chuckle:

But yeah, I've definitely had my share of drunken-Muse-rambles, usually explaining to anyone who will listen exactly why Muse are awesome in a song-by-song breakdown. Or just wailing riffs at the top of my lungs. (although apparently last time I was drunk I started playing Lady Gaga songs on guitar I stole…)

anyway… One of the things I do when the Muse obsession becomes too overwhelming is to try to incorporate Musey things into your schoolwork. Like the fact that the Devonian period is also known as the Age of Fish. Devon, England, Muse, Pwoper Fish. Boom. Pregnant. :p

and yes, that's why that's one of the few things I still remember from my dinosaur class. :LOL:

You need to find out the root of your obsession. Muse is good, but they're not THAT good, and they're not a reason to abandon your school work, social life, etc. Sure, I post here pretty much every day, but I'm still getting out, going to work, hanging out with friends, and I usually post here from my phone.

You really need to dig deep and figure out what is driving your addiction. It's not just "Oh, Muse is so good that I can't stop." Maybe you're lonely, stressed, trying to avoid responsibility because you're afraid of failure in school and you're an all or nothing kind of person? Also, is there a certain time of day where you really want to lose yourself in Muse stuff? Pinpoint those times and try and schedule something else to do during that (maybe homework/study/meditation time?).

And really try and branch out to different artists. If Muse is the only band you listen to, try some of the bands they mention in the interviews at the very least. It's a baby step, but it's a start. Good luck!

anyway… One of the things I do when the Muse obsession becomes too overwhelming is to try to incorporate Musey things into your schoolwork. Like the fact that the Devonian period is also known as the Age of Fish. Devon, England, Muse, Pwoper Fish. Boom. Pregnant. :p

and yes, that's why that's one of the few things I still remember from my dinosaur class. :LOL:

I use Muse to make acronyms for the major communication advances; They (telephones) Respond (Radio) To (TV) Chris' (CD's) Interactions (Internet), and main fauna in each period; DoM Ran AwAy From BelLamy XD

You need to find out the root of your obsession. Muse is good, but they're not THAT good, and they're not a reason to abandon your school work, social life, etc. Sure, I post here pretty much every day, but I'm still getting out, going to work, hanging out with friends, and I usually post here from my phone.

You really need to dig deep and figure out what is driving your addiction. It's not just "Oh, Muse is so good that I can't stop." Maybe you're lonely, stressed, trying to avoid responsibility because you're afraid of failure in school and you're an all or nothing kind of person? Also, is there a certain time of day where you really want to lose yourself in Muse stuff? Pinpoint those times and try and schedule something else to do during that (maybe homework/study/meditation time?).

And really try and branch out to different artists. If Muse is the only band you listen to, try some of the bands they mention in the interviews at the very least. It's a baby step, but it's a start. Good luck!

That's true. It's just not healthy to be this obsessed with anything/anybody. Music is great, yes, I love music as well. But it's just a hobby and shouldn't be the only thing you care about...

Throw your computer, your CDs and your Ipod through the window :yesey:

:LOL: :LOL:

Or just have a life : go out with your friends (not musers, you'll be addicted again :facepalm:), go shopping, stay away from your computer/laptop/iPod/phone/bedroom. Do your homework in another room, because if you stay in your bedroom, you'll think 'Hey, I can go on my bed/play with my laptop/watch a movie/watch videos/[insert what you wanna do here].

IF you need to listen to music while doing HW, I suggest a couple things:

#1) Acquire through some means the Vitamin String Quartet Tribute to Muse. The string arrangements make the songs familiar, yet without the vocals, guitars, drums, etc. you can concentrate while listening to them.

#2) Search for the Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations and The Resistance instrumental albums. You can probably find links here on the boards or over at Muselive. With Matt's vocals removed, you can get your Muse fix and be able to concentrate on your studies.

Hope these ideas help. :D

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT take an Astronomy course. You will go bonkers at the constant mention of starlight, supermassive black holes and neutron star collisions! Trust me (I know!)

IF you need to listen to music while doing HW, I suggest a couple things:

#1) Acquire through some means the Vitamin String Quartet Tribute to Muse. The string arrangements make the songs familiar, yet without the vocals, guitars, drums, etc. you can concentrate while listening to them.

#2) Search for the Absolution, Black Holes & Revelations and The Resistance instrumental albums. You can probably find links here on the boards or over at Muselive. With Matt's vocals removed, you can get your Muse fix and be able to concentrate on your studies.

Hope these ideas help. :D

Also, whatever you do, DO NOT take an Astronomy course. You will go bonkers at the constant mention of starlight, supermassive black holes and neutron star collisions! Trust me (I know!)

I love to listen Vitamin String Quartet Tribut to Muse. :yesey:

Most of the time when I have to learn I am listening something, if I realy can`t concentrate with Muse music I choose some diferent bands, which I like, but I don`t know lyrics of the songs so well.

Okay, so my Muse obsession is negatively affecting my school performance. My parents are starting to get really annoyed with me. I never do ANY homework because I just listen to music (mainly Muse) all the time and watch Muse videos on Youtube! It's not okay! I want to stop but I keep ending up going back to listening to music! How do I go about changing? I need balancee!

listen to music whilst you are working, it well helps! normally i get better ideas and do work faster. It's not THAT hard to multi-task ;D hahahaha

I really like the suggestion of listening to instrumental music; I think the words are a big reason the music is distracting to me. I can listen to music while I do math and science. However, the majority of my homework is reading, which I fail at doing while listening to music. Anyone else find it really hard to read efficiently while listening to Muse?

Archived