Sign in to follow this  
tomrulez

3rd Year Uni Project - Guitar Tab Search Engine

For my third year project at uni I am building a tab search engine so I am looking for suggestions, must have features and ideas from kittentab. I will keep this thread updated with progress as it happens. Go!

I remember coming across a site before that had lessons on techniques, and then had a song tab based on that technique. It could be good to have, for certain tabs, associated technique video tutorial things. For example, ages ago, when i wanted to practice some simple tapping techniques, I learnt Roses for the Dead by Funeral for a Friend (OMFG GET OUT EMO BOI!!!) and Aerodynamic by Daftpunk (OMG GET OUT ELECTRONICA BOI!!!). It could be cool to have an associated tutorial for those songs, so that if you click on the tab for them, a little notice at the top where it has details like tuning, effects etc, you could have a little link saying "Featured Technique: Tapping." and a link to the tutorial, based on that song.

Looking forward to seeing it tom. Good luck!!

It should have a search bar where you type in the desired song you want to search for.

If you're in third year, you should probably be able to brainstorm on a page the detailed search criteria by yourself. If not, then yeeesh.

i like the idea of having the ability to have a video of the tab so users can watch technique and timing...

what you writing it in? any idea what you're using as your search engine? /nerd

oh and also my idea would be to take turn tabs on their head and rather than it being a large number of text / other files that you have to check out individually for correctness based on ratings. instead turn it on its head, lower the barrier for entry by making an interface to enter tabs dead easily and rather than multiple versions of a single tab have just one for a particular song (obviously different ones for different versions) with people able to collaboratively (like a wiki) replace parts/section and vote on whats most accurate. and by having it via your own interface might be able to then export the tab to the format of the users choice (text by instrument, guitar pro, power tab) and allow them to listen via midi too to check correctness. (probably way out of your project scope though)

I'm writing the site with a mixture of php and html and the search engine will be php based as that's what I'm mostly familiar with but I'm open to suggestions. Those are the sort of ideas I'm after kev!

look up zend lucene, solr, and sphinx as possible fulltext search engine software. mysql fulltext is crap by the way (thats the search engine used here ;) )

I've been playing with php and mysql at the moment and it seems okay and I have used it in the past but I'll check out your suggestions as I'm after something a bit different for this project :)

you'd use php still as your server side scripting and mysql as your database but those bits of software would do the searching cos databases tend to be bad for it and doing relevance or something in php is kinda reinvintening the wheel

nah not familiar with it at all to be honest. if you choose to go with that you might want to consider how easy it is to install without cpanel depending on if you need/intend to run it in other places

that thing on ultimate-guitar where u can make it auto-scroll at different speeds is cool. Maybe an on-site tuner/metronome...?

Not sure if you guys remember this but I've got the site developed and could do with some feedback. The site is mostly functional although it was meant to have an advanced search feature but I ran out of development time. It will be interesting to see what you people think. Please leave feedback using the feedback page if possible also :)

URL = http://www.tabsearch.co.uk

It might be a nice idea to tick a box to say if you're looking for bass / guitar tabs, and perhaps chords or tabs, so that you don't have to type this.