Yeah well, TOADA is guitar-driven but not particularly heavy, but Defector's guitar and bass tracks are definitely heavy to my ears, at least by Muse's standards.

As for TG I can amend my statement to "one of the heaviest sections Muse have ever done", the point still stands.

I'd say Defector is definitely disputable :LOL: Same with Reapers tbh, aside from the outro obvs. Guitar-driven =/= heavy.

also

I'mma throw a disagree on that

Reapers has a falsetto pop chorus, TG has a heavy bit smashed between a classical cover and old western whistling, and I've just never seen Defector as the big "heavy rock song" that everyone lauded it as. It's just goofy and almost poppy, imo.

So, with Dead Inside, Mercy, Aftermath and Revolt thrown in there, I don't think Muse does good at sticking to any type of genre or "heaviness" that they propose.

Eh, if Reapers isn't heavy then Muse really have few heavy songs. Muse have always been diverse, so I don't think it it realistic to expect them to stick to one genre. There's always going to be outliers, even if they put out a more focused album. In that sense I think they did make a heavier, rock-oriented album, because its backbone is heavier than the last few LPs.

As for Matt voting for Brexit, that's only consistent with his past claims in favour of decentralisation, I am not surprised.

Reapers is heavy for Muse, for sure, in places, and one of the two on the album I'd probably still classify as true "heavy" rock. (In places. :chuckle: ) For Muse.

My point more being that most of the album isn't like that, and exactly, when they say they want to do a "whole hip hop album" that the real shock would be they stuck to something they said. Especially for a whole album.

It's not a shock that Matt voted Brexit, even if I disagree with what he believes in that respect, it's disappointing that people stuck with outdated nationalism and a vague fear of big government in the face of a disgustingly racist campaign. Sometimes you need to compromise for the greater good and for civil rights.

I knew America had a big problem with that, but always believed the UK was better than that.

That's such old news I'm surprised that so many people still don't believe it.

It's just weird to me how much people will ignore, or twist, in the interest of believing their fav celeb is "just like them."

I know it's old news but there was never any official confirmation.

Reapers is heavy for Muse, for sure, in places, and one of the two on the album I'd probably still classify as true "heavy" rock. (In places. :chuckle: ) For Muse.

My point more being that most of the album isn't like that, and exactly, when they say they want to do a "whole hip hop album" that the real shock would be they stuck to something they said. Especially for a whole album.

It's not a shock that Matt voted Brexit, even if I disagree with what he believes in that respect, it's disappointing that people stuck with outdated nationalism and a vague fear of big government in the face of a disgustingly racist campaign. Sometimes you need to compromise for the greater good and for civil rights.

I knew America had a big problem with that, but always believed the UK was better than that.

Well if you think "outdated nationalism and a vague fear of big government" are the only reasons why some people voted or would vote Brexit then I humbly believe that's missing the point. And because some jackasses use wrong arguments shoudln't disqualify the cause.

Ahh, getting all political on the future gigs thread. There isn't much to talk about, is there? :LOL:

Well if you think "outdated nationalism and a vague fear of big government" are the only reasons why some people voted or would vote Brexit then I humbly believe that's missing the point. And because some jackasses use wrong arguments shoudln't disqualify the cause.

Ahh, getting all political on the future gigs thread. There isn't much to talk about, is there? :LOL:

I was talking more about Bellamy with that statement. His political statements have been vague at best, and certainly along the lines of baseless nationalism and conspiracy theories about the government.

He often just sounds like a kid that believed the first political comment he read on Facebook. (And we ended up with "drones are bad, I don't really know anything about it, but if I say "drones" 47 times, you'll get the point!)

But, I view Brexit like I do the Republican party. There might be some people who have legitimate reasons for believing in some of that rhetoric, but if you put that sort of speculation before the actual civil rights of human beings, whether immigrants, minorities, women, LGBT, the disabled, or whateverthefuck, then that's pretty deplorable. I see people say things like "well, it's better that a few groups are marginalized or mistreated than we put EVERYONE at risk just in case!" and it's gross. (And of course in that situation "everyone" could only mean white males.)

And it's pretty obvious the racist angle of Brexit influenced a lot of people, sadly.

Brexit had the added bonus of fucking up the economy for the non-rich, as well, immediately.

Edited by SerpentSatellite

The RATM-like riff, the verses (vocals and bass line), the guitar in the pre-chorus and chorus, the outro...

Meh, I just don't see it. The verses could've been pretty intense but ended up relatively weak imo, the pre-chorus is standard AC/DC dad rock, and the chorus is outright pop-rock.

Off the top of my head, Stockholm, TSP, Pink Ego Box (outro), Ashamed, Dead Star, Micro Cuts, Apocalypse Please, Survival, Assassin, Yes Please, Agitated, Hyper Music, Dark Shines, New Born, Uno, Hysteria, Space Dementia and Butterflies are all heavier comparatively imo.

I never really warmed up to Reapers. It feels like it's just got some cliché classic rock solos randomly crammed into a much softer, boring song. A good example that you can't just put a few AC/DC riffs into something and call it a hard rock song.

And I love the phrase "dad rock" even if it makes me feel old. :chuckle:

Also... can Matt get enough breath in his lungs to rap...? :unsure:

I was talking more about Bellamy with that statement. His political statements have been vague at best, and certainly along the lines of baseless nationalism and conspiracy theories about the government.

He often just sounds like a kid that believed the first political comment he read on Facebook. (And we ended up with "drones are bad, I don't really know anything about it, but if I say "drones" 47 times, you'll get the point!)

But, I view Brexit like I do the Republican party. There might be some people who have legitimate reasons for believing in some of that rhetoric, but if you put that sort of speculation before the actual civil rights of human beings, whether immigrants, minorities, women, LGBT, the disabled, or whateverthefuck, then that's pretty deplorable. I see people say things like "well, it's better that a few groups are marginalized or mistreated than we put EVERYONE at risk just in case!" and it's gross. (And of course in that situation "everyone" could only mean white males.)

And it's pretty obvious the racist angle of Brexit influenced a lot of people, sadly.

Brexit had the added bonus of fucking up the economy for the non-rich, as well, immediately.

Err, I've never seen or heard Matt refer to nationalism of any sort. If you have sources please enlighten me.

Talking about civil rights, you don't seem to be aware that the EU is a completely antidemocratic set of institutions. If taking one's political rights back isn't a legitimate reason, then I don't even know what to say. There isn't a majority of racist voters in the UK (and Brexit has very little if anything at all to do with immigration), it baffles me how people are prone to believe that instead of accepting the idea that the other side may have valid reasons. Seriously associating all Brexiters with racist/xenophobic rhetorics is unfair, lowly and insulting.

Neither of our countries has anything resembling a direct democracy, so aren't you really just giving the political power back to Parliament, not the people?

We scream on about "freedom" in the US, but we elect a handful of jackasses that just do what they please afterwards.

And I guess my point is, no matter what the political beliefs, once the party starts pulling out the "get the brown people out because they might be terrorists!" schtick (and more in the case of the US, taking away women's rights to their own selves, legalizing the ability to discriminate against LGBT persons, or building a wall) I think it's time to step back and think... hey, this is going seriously wrong...

None of those issues should be remotely attached to politics.

And yes, again, this is more a US problem, but it's undeniable that Brexit pushers played on fears of terrorism and foreigners.

To me, it puts a person who voted for those parties in a position where they have to advocate for voting for some "what ifs" and "maybes" that were more important than tangible negative impacts on whole groups of people.

And it leads to a culture like we have in the US, where it's okay to openly deride anyone who's not like you, deny basic human rights to people, and the law supports refusing to sell a cake at a cake shop to a gay couple.

It's a steep, slippery slope.

Bellamy has regularly passed mentions of direct democracy and whatnot, things that were mentioned a lot by Brexit from the side that wasn't about some sort of racial nationalism, and it's very likely he voted on that end.

In the end we know very little about Bellamy's political stances but I really doubt it was anything beyond just not wanting concentrated power in the EU, which in the end was the only real issue being decided.

And I certainly understand that point of view, if I don't agree with it, it's just sad that the Brexit leaders felt that they had to resort to fear, racism and things like outright lies about funding the NHS to get their win.

Igniting the population with those sorts of issues will lead to the eventual destruction of both our countries. And it frustrates me that politicians think the risk is worth a win.

The Trump thing has really made me think about those sorts of things.

I don't believe he genuinely cares about a single issue surrounding women's rights, immigration, religion... any of it.

But he was smart enough to know those things, coupled with acting like people act on social media, would rally the people to his side.

It's made me believe, for sure, that politicians really don't care about issues like those, the Bible, or any of the rest of it, but they know how to trigger the people. And know that the people don't want to hear about theories, plans, or actual politics.

It makes me feel bad about how low society has gotten, and the death of intellectualism.

(I suppose talking about vague, rallying faux-political statements is relevant to Muse's music. :chuckle: )

Neither of our countries has anything resembling a direct democracy, so aren't you really just giving the political power back to Parliament, not the people?

We scream on about "freedom" in the US, but we elect a handful of jackasses that just do what they please afterwards.

And I guess my point is, no matter what the political beliefs, once the party starts pulling out the "get the brown people out because they might be terrorists!" schtick (and more in the case of the US, taking away women's rights to their own selves, legalizing the ability to discriminate against LGBT persons, or building a wall) I think it's time to step back and think... hey, this is going seriously wrong...

None of those issues should be remotely attached to politics.

And yes, again, this is more a US problem, but it's undeniable that Brexit pushers played on fears of terrorism and foreigners.

To me, it puts a person who voted for those parties in a position where they have to advocate for voting for some "what ifs" and "maybes" that were more important than tangible negative impacts on whole groups of people.

And it leads to a culture like we have in the US, where it's okay to openly deride anyone who's not like you, deny basic human rights to people, and the law supports refusing to sell a cake at a cake shop to a gay couple.

It's a steep, slippery slope.

Ugh, Brexit was/is not about parties. I don't think your analogy with the Republican party and US politics stands.

What tangible effects on human rights did Brexit have? The economic catastrophe is yet to happen; those who voted in favour of Brexit weren't the most priviledged ones and if they are willing to take risks to their own detriment as a trade-off, then fair enough.

Irrelevant news - Matt tweeted that he voted for soft Brexit with freedom of movement, single market and ability to freely trade outside of EU. Personally this never seemed like a possibility to me.

On topic - Matt also tweeted about getting his acoustic guitar out for the next album.