https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWJmT8_k78

New version with perfect audio and I still can't hear him say anything other than US festivals and maybe a song or two? :(

Huh, super weird. When I watched it on Peri I clearly heard him say "and I dunno, maybe a few more gigs in... like..."

Apparently the quality was just that bad.

Sorry to get you more riled up. :chuckle:

I just noticed Stubhub owns the Q Awards now? That seems a bit like a conflict of interest.

^ Yeah, saw that. Think I've officially reached the point where I can't get remotely hyped for record descriptions this early though 'cause I don't believe a word Matt says :chuckle:

If anything, that interview actually confused me 'cause I seem to remember him saying that bit at the end almost word-for-word after T2L except...they actually kinda already followed through with it on Drones? I mean, it took 'em like 3 or 4 albums of saying it but still. So I can't really imagine what he means by going even more stripped back. But then Dom mentioned going more electronic a while ago iirc so who bloody knows.

Sorry to get you more riled up. :chuckle:

This genuinely isn't possible :chuckle: Besides, I've sold myself into disappointment enough times to know I do it to myself at this point (*ahemblackholesanniversary*).

My club tour hype has actually died down after the Halloween business in a kinda sad way tbh. If it is gonna happen, it's a while away at best it seems, and Matt not even remotely alluding to anything makes a part of me think it won't happen at all :( Could come along with one of the songs he mentions putting out but, even then, it's literally an "if we can be arsed" situation.

If anything, that interview actually confused me 'cause I seem to remember him saying that bit at the end almost word-for-word after T2L except...they actually kinda already followed through with it on Drones? I mean, it took 'em like 3 or 4 albums of saying it but still. So I can't really imagine what he means by going even more stripped back.

I think a really big part they've either ignored or forgot is the tones they use now. When was the last time you hear Matt going crazy with FF or the whammy in a song(not counting Unsustainable, it's just a clusterfuck of fx)? MK Ultra has whammy I think and it, along with Unnatural Selection, has pretty good guitar dist/fuzz as well.

Matt seriously needs to dust off his DL-1 and start messing with the fx a lot more again. Same with Chris, hearing the same-ish distortion in every song(especially live) is kinda boring. And I know it's much more difficult for live purposes, but as an fx-freak, I'd love to see some new stuff from them in that front :awesome:

Reapers? Defector? The Globalist?

Reapers: Same distortion as in other songs the solo is most likely whammy tho, which I forgot. Approved.

Defector: Flang/phase on bass aaand that's about it. Whammy on solo possibly?

Globalist: Eh... what? I can't hear anything special and if you mean the 'solo', it can be played without wham.

along with Unnatural Selection, has pretty good guitar dist/fuzz

I love US but I'd say it's guitar tone is about as boring/standard crunch effect you can get, assuming we're talking about the studio version?

Reapers: Same distortion as in other songs the solo is most likely whammy tho, which I forgot. Approved.

Defector: Flang/phase on bass aaand that's about it. Whammy on solo possibly?

Globalist: Eh... what? I can't hear anything special and if you mean the 'solo', it can be played without wham.

If we're talking about using a Whammy specifically, Reapers is probs the most wham-tastic song they've put out other than Unsustainable. Defector's solos also use it pretty heavily as well (big reason why they're some of my faves). As for The Globalist, I think he's referring to the guitar tone for the drop A bit, which Matt had to use that special Turkish pedal to get iirc.

I think he's referring to the guitar tone for the drop A bit, which Matt had to use that special Turkish pedal to get iirc.

That 'special turkish pedal' is a Mashsonic Thrust Drive

I thought that The Globalist's solo uses a whammy pedal. Although having not listened to it for aaggggeeeesssss, I may well be wrong

The solo doesn't use a whammy, but some people think he uses a drop tuning pedal to get the low A note during the heavy part, but no one really knows

If it is gonna happen, it's a while away at best it seems, and Matt not even remotely alluding to anything makes a part of me think it won't happen at all :(

Hey, he alludes to shit all the time that doesn't happen so if he DOESN'T allude to anything that means it's gonna happen. See Montreux last year. I CALLED IT FIRST.

:logic:

for the rap track depend how it will sound. if it's something like rage against the machine - killing in the name (or linking park) sound fine for me (futhermore if the crowd is going to be mental as this one)
Of course it depends on how it will sound, but most of us are well aware that Matt doesn't have what it takes to sound anything like Zack.

Yeah, it's obviously the rapping that's got people talking. (And is a stupid idea.)

I haven't really seen anyone freaking out about a Muse hip hop album.

I mean, look at what the tracks on their latest "heavy" album sound like. There's more Starlights than there are heavy tracks. (Or at least equal, depending on where you classify certain songs.)

Do we really believe the band when they talk about genres anymore?

Mmmmh. Psycho, Reapers, The Handler and Defector are undisputable heavy tracks. The Globalist has the heaviest section they've ever done, and even Revolt is driven by loud guitar riffs.

Mercy is obviously Starlight-like but apart from that there isn't much to support that claim.