Yeah, 2018/2019 album release. US festivals confirmed (lame.)

And the live VR thing is just bullshitting. The fans wouldn't be willing to pay for the equipment, the resolution is abysmal, and those sorts of VR visuals/videos make a ton of people *severely* nauseous.

It would massively one up the idiocy of seeing the back of the band for half of the gig, though.

I mean, if you're watching the concert through a really low res facemask instead of looking at them, why would you even go to a gig? The band could just save the money and release a gig to buy online.

Unless Matt got VR mixed up with AR, and then you're looking at thousands of dollars instead of a hundred, and a field of view of about six inches. But you'd at least be looking at something live.

Of course the audio on the video goes bad when he's talking about the non-US gigs. :chuckle:

Edited by SerpentSatellite

And once again it looks like the talk about non-album releases was bullshit.

It was always gonna be, if we're honest :chuckle: Think I heard him say something about maaaybe putting out one or two songs next year if they can be arsed though, so there might be a sliver of truth in it.

Absolutely no mention or even tease about Europe from what I could catch though </3

Also, yeah, I hope to christ that AR thing is a joke.

I feel like it's probably not completely a joke.

Even if is WAS just a bit of snark, it shows that he has absolutely no idea what the technology is capable of, and has no experience with it.

Which makes it more likely that he could be serious and didn't realize what was wrong with the idea.

It IS hilarious after what an utter baby he was about crowd reaction this last tour cycle (and in the US since TR, really.)

Absolutely no mention or even tease about Europe from what I could catch though </3

Also, yeah, I hope to christ that AR thing is a joke.

He quite noticeably says something in regards to maaaybe non-US tour dates right after he talks about the festivals. It's just completely inaudible. There's clear sarcasm in his expressions, but he's definitely talking about gigs in some manner.

So, you can keep riling yourself up. ;)

It's not like he says they're going to utilise VR or whatever, he says "in a couple of years, I think the next big thing is going to be headsets showing visuals" etc. I would think something like that idea would be brought up in a few years by Matt and the logistics would just make such an idea impossible

Wonder which festivals would be likely next year?

March, Ultra (don't typically have rock bands headline, but it has happened before)

April, Coachella (just played in 2014, so unlikely)

May, Sasquatch! (never played?)

June, Bonnaroo (never played?)

June, Firefly (never played)

June, Hangout (never played)

August, Lollapalooza (last time was 2011)

August, Osheaga (never played? yes this is Canada but whatever)

August, Outside Lands (last played in 2011)

October, Austin City Limits (last played in 2013)

Edited by halo eighteen

To me it was another case of Matt has sort of peripherally heard of the technology, and jumps the gun wanting to use it or talking about it when he's got no idea.

Like with the drones. Everyone really thought they were going to use... well, DRONES (the little ones.) Not a glorified helium balloon. (And even those didn't work out at all.)

But, they lose frequency extremely easily, have a 7 minute battery life, and all sorts of other problems.

He must have been thinking AR, though, which is a tech that's even more in its infancy.

A VR headset is a blindfold.

I suppose there could potentially be tech to utilize the cameras to transmit an image of the band into the headset and mesh it with the VR visuals, but the logistics of that right now would be pretty horrible, and the resolution is insanely bad.

Plus, I mean, you're not LOOKING at the band, so why be there?

And we're not talking about those $100 things you shove your cellphone in, at that point. This would be a much more expensive beast.

Also, like any complicated tech, it's buggy and fussy as hell. Completely blurry unless you perfectly adjust for your pupillary distance, fogs up, feed cuts out, etc.

How great would it be for your headset to black out during the gig? No refunds, of course.

Or, maybe Matt read a headline proclaiming "VR is the next big thing in concerts!" and didn't read the article. :chuckle: Because a lot of big bands are STREAMING their concerts in VR. To people at home.

I dunno, this isn't the travelling sci-fi circus. Just put on a damn concert, ffs.

Yeah, it's not at all like Matt admitted to fans that he chooses the setlists based on crowd reaction, or anything, and is now proposing a gimmick for a tour that completely disconnects the crowd from the band.

Bellamy blamed his own fans for the shitty setlists and their playing almost nothing but hits during this last tour, when in reality the terrible stage design idea busted up the crowd and removed that "mob mentality" of people jumping around and such.

And his comments about the VR thing show that he still doesn't realize he manufactured the problem.

What happens when Starlight doesn't get people jumping around because they're all wearing head gear? Does he just throw the guitar down and go home... oh, wait... :chuckle:

Wonder which festivals would be likely next year?

March, Ultra (don't typically have rock bands headline, but it has happened before)

April, Coachella (just played in 2014, so unlikely)

May, Sasquatch! (never played?)

June, Bonnaroo (never played?)

June, Firefly (never played)

June, Hangout (never played)

August, Lollapalooza (last time was 2011)

August, Osheaga (never played? yes this is Canada but whatever)

August, Outside Lands (last played in 2011)

October, Austin City Limits (last played in 2013)

I thought they did Bonnaroo in 2007, but not as a headliner.

Firefly might be a decent shout tbf. Heard its a decent fest too. Does Kanrocksas still go on?

I've been to a 3D concert by the German legends Kraftwerk.

It was absolutely amazing. I can definitely imagine Muse doing something similar.

Interesting. But I don't know if it might work better at a smaller venue, unless the tech can be maximised for an arena-sized production or something. Although looking at the photos, does mean custom-made weird looking suits for the band. So no change there then.

There will be a VR headset tour by a major band soon enough, but I think some of the kinks with the tech need working out. Certainly 2018/19 would be way too soon for that.

Just to a silent disco, choose your setlist out of some set rotations, pretend they're on stage

Or that.

Least it means I can take a few sledgehammers to my not seen live list... probably the only way I'd see Assassin or Butterflies & Hurricanes.

He quite noticeably says something in regards to maaaybe non-US tour dates right after he talks about the festivals. It's just completely inaudible. There's clear sarcasm in his expressions, but he's definitely talking about gigs in some manner.

So, you can keep riling yourself up. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDWJmT8_k78

New version with perfect audio and I still can't hear him say anything other than US festivals and maybe a song or two? :(